ad: QSLWorks-1

JD1 May be Key to Future of Tech

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Apr 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

For C21, Nauru, it was guano. For Ogasawara islands, JD1, it's rare earth-rich mud will change the face of this tiny island chain overnight, with the discovery of these important mineral compounds.

Rare earth compounds are used in electronics, and in particular in making strong, compact magnets, and superconductors.

CNN reports the 'game changing' discovery:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/16/asia/japan-rare-earth-metals-find-china-economy-trnd/index.html

JD1 is a rare DXCC entity and a favorite of Dxpeditions. We may be seeing more common OTA activity as the rare earth mining changes the growth of the islands.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    AC7DD and W0PV like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW the DX Counter here is MINAMI-TORISHIMA. It is considered separate from the Ogasawara islands, for DXCC.

3. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, that island will disappear soon as a result?

NA4RA and K6JO like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The rare earth-rich mud is sea-bed located and forms a vast region well out from the island. It will get sucked up and then processed. The island itself is only 30 acres in size, and peaks at about 10 feet. Previously it was a LORAN C facility. Like most of the islands in that area, it is coral and guano and sand.

PRC (China) controls the world's supply of rare earth compounds, basically a monopoly.

Until now.

The discovery at M-T was made 5 years ago, The 'news' today signals the beginning of efforts to mine.

5. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I didn't see a MacDonald's----

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

IW3ILM, W6ERM and K9ASE like this.
  6. W2RGH

W2RGH Ham Member QRZ Page

Rare Earth pops up where you least expected, heck right here in Nebraska not to far from Omaha some someone is going to get filthy rich. "announced that they have found significant amounts of rare earth elements and niobium in Elk Creek, a rural town of 112 people"

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like an alien starship.

W1YW likes this.
  8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are numerous proven rare earth sources, including one mine in California. Most closed down in the face of lower production costs in China. They can be re-opened when economically viable.

AC7DD and W1YW like this.
  9. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess rare earth is where you find it ! There use to be a rare earth mine at the top of Mt. Pass on interstate 15 on your way to $$$ Las Vegas $$$. But that mine looks closed ? Lets just hope that earth does not become RARE EARTH ! We had a close pass the other day by a large Asteroid ! check out space weather.com. This large ROCK came very close to Earth ! I see KB4QAA posted while I was writing mine !

10. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It was the previous exit.

NK9Y and K9ASE like this.
  12. KC2PMM

KC2PMM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

next rest stop 35 miles.....

K9ASE likes this.
  13. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

I Just Want To Celebrate

NL7W, K9ASE, W1YW and 1 other person like this.
  14. K5JEF

K5JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

First successful all white band on motown records.

15. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha, I never knew they were white!