ad: MLSons-1

Introducing CATSync - The new CAT tool for WebSDRs

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Mar 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Introducing CATSync - The new CAT tool for WebSDRs

Oscar, DJ0MY, has developed a new software tool for radio amateurs and SWLs.

CATSync allows the user to control public WebSDR receivers with a real rig connected via CAT. It supports the classical Web-SDR servers as well as the newer Kiwi SDR servers publically available on the internet.
    This gives you access to dozens of web based receivers with the comfort of tuning your rig at home. This software helps you to bring you back into the fun of ham radio when you are suffering from local temporary or permanent high noise levels in an urban QTH location.

The software has the following features:
    - Syncronizes any public WebSDR server with your real RIG…
    - Supports a wide number of RIG’s (it uses the popular OmniRig engine)
    - Supports WebSDR and KiwiSDR browser based SDR receivers
    - Tune the VFO of your radio and see the web SDR follow in realtime !
    - Switch modes (SSB, CW, etc.) on your radio and see the web SDR switch mode in realtime.
    - Listen to the same frequency as your rig via web SDR
    - Ideally suited e.g. for people suffering from local QRM
    - Can track RX or TX VFO (e.g. to find that split of a DX station) if radio CAT supports both simultanously
    - Can be interfaced with popular logging software using OminRig or via VSPE port splitter

For more information visit the author’s website: https://catsyncsdr.wordpress.com/

See a YouTube video of CATSync :

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2018/march/introducing-catsync-the-new-cat-tool-for-websdrs.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WB8P, KX0DW and K2NCC like this.
  2. WP2ASS

WP2ASS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm NOT fornusing sdr for contesting or for paper chasing.

However in the last 3 months I've had a pot farm and a solaredge solar system installed near by, different houses unfortunately.

Local friend came over, asked what happened. Noise level went from S3-S4 up to 10 over S9!

So, I've moved to remote receivers. All TX is from my location, and I DO try to use my own rx on hand.. When I have to resort to kfs or Sedona, I TELL the other person. That way, they can call it assisted, whatever.

This is too cool for school!

--Shane
    KD6VXI

3. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

How much latency is there between transmit and receive ? I assume too much latency for contesting where you need quick response times. Probably good enough for rag chewing or chasing DX. Neat stuff !

4. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations to Oscar, DJ0MY for a wonderful project.
    KiwiSDR can also be operated on your own local LAN, so additionally, this appears to be a way to slave the KiwiSDR as a non-remote receiver.

5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

My version called CATSink,

[​IMG]

73, Rudi, W4SUN

IK2ODD, W1SRR and WB8P like this.
  6. N3HEE

That's PurrFect !

W1SRR likes this.
  7. ON3CQ

ON3CQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Test the software IC-7600 don't work

8. ON3CQ

The software works with the IC7600 V2. Just bought and radio follows and audio is good.

9. N3HEE

The demo version doesn't do much ? I could see the frequency change (numbers only) and mode change but it was not "tuning" the SDR ? I think the demo should be full featured (limited time) so we can make sure everything works and we like it before we buy it. Of course it's not terribly expensive at 9,95 euro.

10. ON3CQ

First tested the demo version that acknowledged the radio ( read freq.). Have bought the full version and it works very well. The WebSDR follow the freq. from the radio now.

11. K5KNM

K5KNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It works with my 590SG. It would be much better if the radio could also follow the SDR so you can mouse click the waterfall and the radio follows. Maybe in the future that could be adapted.

It is interesting to listen to other stations stateside and abroad to listen to what they hear.

12. 4X1DA

4X1DA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a pity this software can only control the WebSDR via an external radio and not from the WebSDR to the transceiver. In other words, clicking on a signal via the waterfall display ('search and pounce') will have no affect on the transceiver.
    Hopefully a full two-way CAT sync version will be introduced in the future.

13. N3HEE

Good suggestion. I'm not sure the author of this software is following this thread ? I have contacted him via his website and he quickly replied.

14. K5KNM

K5KNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And what did he say?

15. N3HEE

I suggested a full featured time limited demo so people could try the software before buying. He was not receptive to that idea because the programming language he is using (Microsoft .NET) allows someone to "easily" decompile his code and crack the protection mechanism and unlock the software. And I thought hams were an honest bunch! No, we are all a bunch of thieves, pirates and hackers :) Oh well, I will probably break down and buy it once he puts in some cool features I can't live without.