ad: Retevis-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 86 - Getting Started with Satellites with KX9X

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Oct 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thursday night at 9 pm Eastern on Ham Talk Live!, Sean Kutzko, KX9X, joins us once again... but this time to talk about getting started with satellite operations! So if you want to know how to get started, be sure to tune in and call in with your questions for Sean!

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm Eastern time by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button! If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand 24/7/365.25 also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 812-NET-HAM-1 live during the show, or by Skype. Our username is hamtalklive. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

KX9X.jpg KX9X sat.jpg StarsII-Orbit-Model.jpg

KB3UWC, AA7UN, IZ5ILX and 10 others like this.
  2. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

This was a very enjoyable show. It was fun to listen to Sean talk about portable ops and chasing grid squares. It was also fun to get to listen to to Sean's recordings and hear some of the ops that I am fortunate to work on a regular basis.

If you are interested in joining us in working the birds, I highly recommend that you listen to this podcast. I can promise you that once you make one or two contacts via an amateur radio satellite, you'll be hooked. I work multiple passes a day on the LEO FM satellites and my 11 year old daughter (W4AQT) often works them on the weekends or when she isn't involved in a robot club, choir or SGA at school.

Try it... you'll like it... just remember... please listen before you transmit.

KI7TFQ, K4BAD, K3RLD and 2 others like this.
  3. N6JSX

N6JSX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And just AMSAT announced another FOX CubeSat will fly next month being a nice Christmas present to HAMdom - likely fully open for business by Christmas. FOX1B to fly 11/10/2017.

That will give us three LEO FM SATs; SO-50, AO-85(FOX1A), AO-##(FOX1B). FOX1C is yet to fly.
    Of and on I read interest in resurrecting P3E a SAT to replacing the failed AO-40 - give us almost 24/7 FM SAT coverage but due to HEO this would not be a "portable" FM HT bird - maybe a "mobile" bird (with a vehicle to carry the ERP/Amps).

WB9VPG likes this.