ad: M2Ant-1

HH2/VA3MPG is now QRT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE3NLS, Nov 30, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. VE3NLS

VE3NLS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the 7000+ stations who worked my good friend Jim, VA3MPG while on his 12 month Tour of Duty in Haiti with the RCMP doing humanitarian and drug enforcement service.

He has landed back in Ontario and is quite happy to be home. Haiti is a volatile and violent place.

We had our difficulties throughout it. With radio gear breaking and his tech support being myself in Ontario. No parts available to Jim, and also the difficulties of stuff being shipped to the island for fear of theft.

However, in the end, it was a good experience for all involved. And "What'sApp" proved to be an amazing tool!

Jim was also able to achieve both a WAS and a DXCC Award from ARRL for his efforts. Congratulations Jimmy!

If you worked Jim, and wish to receive a physical card, we still have 500 or so left. See my QRZ page for details.

And a BIG THANKS again to the people at Chameleon Antenna. Their CHA-Mil antenna logged the majority of the 7000+ QSO's in the log.

Welcome home Jim. And thanks for your service.

Ronnie
    VE3NLS

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    NL7W, KM4SII and (deleted member) like this.
  2. KE4Y

KE4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I beg to differ. Broadly speaking, Haiti is not a volatile and dangerous place. I have been involved in mission work in Haiti for 16 years, having traveled there more than 50 times during that timeframe. Like any place, there are dangerous areas in the country. That's just like the way there are dangerous places in North America. I find the people to be most gracious and accommodating, who will go out of their way to make a visitor feel welcome. It's understandable that VA3MPG may have a different perspective if he was involved in drug enforcement activity. That would tend to expose a person to the more dangerous elements of the locale.

K9IK likes this.
  3. VE3NLS

Perhaps I was being too "localized", the area Jim was involved in was a very dangerous part. My comment was not meant be taken in the broader sense of the manner.

And you are correct. Jim commented on the many locals that were friendly and helpful.

Apologies.

Ronnie
    VE3NLS

K9IK likes this.
  4. KE4Y

KE4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks very much for the clarification, Ronnie.

K9IK likes this.
  5. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

i worked him the other day on jt65

6. VE3NLS

Excellent! Thanks for helping him fill the logbook.

We think he is one of only a few stations to ever activate digital modes such as JT-65 from the Island. He was sure popular on that mode and also very popular on RTTY.

Ronnie
    VE3NLS

7. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Will his CQWW logs be on LoTW?

8. VE3NLS

Yes. His CQWW and ALL of his contacts in his logbook are currently up on LOTW. I have not yet verified if he has done the final posting to QRZ, ClubLog and e-QSL.

I will post a note here updating that in the next day or so.

If you have any problems, corrections or other issues relating to working him, please contact myself as I continue to be his QSL Manager for HH2/VA3MPG.

Thanks,
    Ronnie
    VE3NLS

9. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

I quite agree that you cannot generalize an entire country from the worst news, though without more information that is often easy to do. Fortunately many hams are fairly aware of what is happening in the world thanks to their interest in DX, and we may have radio friends abroad too. A few years ago I got to Cap-Haitien by bus from Santo Domingo and took a tap-tap taxi to Citadella Laferriere. While conditions were rough the place certainly did not feel out of control or unreasonably dangerous and the people I met were both friendly and helpful. (Port-au-Prince may be another story.) But the point is that people like Jim and Daniel will go to places like HH-land, not as casual visitors but to try and do some good for the people, often leaving their families and far more comfortable livings behind. I believe that is worth our respect.

10. KM4SII

KM4SII Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked him twice on 20m SSB and once on 15m SSB. I hope he had fun operating in Haiti and am glad he (and his gear) was safe while down there! Thanks for all the QSOs and your service!

73 de KM4SII

11. KC9RNK

KC9RNK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Jim! QSO on 20m JT65 already confirmed on LOTW. Enjoy being home, hope to work you from your QTH.
    73 de KC9RNK

12. KZ3H

KZ3H Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked that station state-side SSB, and was there operating during the earthquake recovery. I used the Chameleon antenna as well.

Great job, well done.

de KZ3H

13. KD2BBC

KD2BBC QRZ Lifetime Member #587 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I am very pleased to learn that our dear friend has returned back home safely.... I made several contacts with him from the HH2 land while he was over there... always great signals over here and he is a very eloquent radio operator with a lot of patience... Welcome back home my dear friend... best wishes and happy holyday to you and family and lastly 73 :)

14. W4KDN

W4KDN Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked Jim on several occasions and told him I had made several church mission trips to Haiti and was planning on another in January or February. He offered to meet me at the airport if given sufficient notice. Our trip was postponed because of the on-going election turmoil and we were advised NOT to travel to Haiti at that time. We rescheduled our trip for November but Hurricane Mathew came through leaving vast devastation in the area where we were to be (south coast in Bainet). While Bainet was not in the "bulls-eye" they were certainly in the "9-ring" of the storm. We felt it would be foolish for us to travel there with roads and bridges likely being washed out, food scarce, and people unable to even care for themselves much less a group of Americans. We are now looking at a trip in a few months and evaluating conditions before making a final decision. Our church did send a sizeable donation to provide food for those in the area where we have a presence. The good news is, the school we built in the mid-90's survived, and the solar powered water treatment system we installed in 2014 survived as did the solar panels.

I agree with the above characterizations of the Haitian people. It can be dangerous in Port Au Prince but away from there, the Haitians are gracious wonderful hosts. Fortunately we have a guide who we trust implicitly and rely on his advice and guidance. I have been to Haiti twice and am scheduled for another trip soon.

Andy
    W4KDN

K9IK and VA3MPG like this.
  15. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

HH2/VA3MPG is in my log with four QSO's on four different bands all on RTTY and all LOTW confirmed. A good operation Jim, thanks!

73 de John - WØPV