ad: Radclub22-1

HamRadioReviews: Baofeng UV-82 8W Power Test [Video]

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by SV2RMK, Nov 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. SV2RMK

SV2RMK Ham Member QRZ Page

In this week's video I am doing a Baofeng UV-82 8W power test.

[​IMG]

This Baofeng is not the UV-82HPhttps://*************************/e/ir?source=bk&t=hrrcontent-20&bm-id=default&l=ktl&linkId=03c831ac1b79e88dee4abf6294557a65&_cb=1479474992408 tri-power model. In fact, there is nothing that states it is a new model, apart from the sticker on the back of the radio stating its power is 8 watts. Does it hold up to its claim?

Here is the video, enjoy: https://wp.me/p800qu-8v

HamRadioReviews on Instagram: @hamradioreviews
    Facebook: @hamradioreviews
    Twitter: @hamradioreviews

W7XH likes this.
  2. AG6IF/SK2024

AG6IF/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

I have also tested 7 or 8 of these, well, a mix between uv82 and f8-f9 units..none have made 8 watts, all make about 5.5..one actually made 6...wonder what is up. (the rating is for input power maybe?)
    Jim

SV2RMK likes this.
  3. PS8ET

PS8ET Ham Member QRZ Page

For me it's a very good radio, I use it for satellite, I have 900 contas with it,
    73 PS8ET

KM4NOW and SV2RMK like this.
  4. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a UV-82 (5/1 W 2 power level version) that is about 3 years old.
    There is a power adjustment pot (also one for the reference oscillator freq) on the front of the PCB between the keypad and LCD. I remember messing with it but don't remember how high I could set it. I do remember that the lowest setting was 5/1 W. I don't know if turning the pot all the way up is safe to do or if it will put out more spurs and burn up the PA.

I don't know if the 8 W 3 power level versions have the same PA and power control IC.
    It could be that they are all the same except for adding an extra power level in firmware, setting the power control pot all the way up and increasing the retail price.

KD2IIN and SV2RMK like this.
  5. SV2RMK

Thanks for the info, I will check it!

6. SV2RMK

Yes, it is a very good radio for me too. Newer Baofengs have improved significantly.

7. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious as to the accuracy of your watt meter compared to something like a Bird meter. A friend bought one of the 8w Baofeng ht's recently. The final blew pretty quickly......within probably 1 hour of use. I wonder about the reliability of such high power handhelds.

SV2RMK likes this.
  8. SV2RMK

I don't think that the inline $40 meter can be compared to a Bird. However, the meter is quite accurate. I think I will do a comparison video of the meter VS a "better" one.

As for the reliability, not sure. We will know in the long term. My other high-power handheld is a 10W TYT UV8000E, which outputs ~8W on 2m and ~9.5W on 70cm. It is my main handheld for more than 2 months now and I've had no issues. Let's see how it holds up for the next couple of years.

Thanks, 73!

N4EYZ likes this.
  9. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't mean to dismiss your meter, I apologize if it came across that way. I once had one that I think had Radio Shack's name on it. Worked well and was convenient because of it's small size. It just seems the Chinese add some dubious features on their ht's I suppose to gain market share. An 8 or 10 watt output translates to a lot of heat on such a small radio, not to mention the current draw on it's battery.

SV2RMK likes this.
  10. RM7KT

RM7KT Ham Member QRZ Page

This 8W power calculated like 5W 2m band +3W 70cm band. This is marketing...
    73! RM7KT/UU2JK VLADIMIR

AG6IF/SK2024, KD2IIN and SV2RMK like this.
  11. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You were using the battery from a UV-82L, like mine. Thing is... are these batteries the same as the stock battery, in output? That could affect your wattage, right there...

SV2RMK likes this.
  12. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The batteries are the same. 8 watts would kill them quick.

SV2RMK likes this.
  13. SV2RMK

It didn't came across like that, all is good. Yes, however, note that there actually are true 8-10W handheld radios. And yes, they do heat up but they don't seem to have issues. An example is the TYT UV8000E:

14. SV2RMK

Heh, yes, probably.

15. SV2RMK

Without knowing anything more than the average Baofeng customer (like you and me most likely), I think the batteries are identical.