ad: Radclub22-1

RFinder - The World Wide Repeater Directory kicks BrandMeister up a notch

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Nov 8, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

RFinder - The World Wide Repeater Directory kicks BrandMeister up a notch. DMR without CodePlugs!
    RFinder has worked with the DMR network Brandmeister to create new usability enhancements. The new dashboard just released includes coverage maps generated by RFinder using CloudRF technology created by Alex M6ZUJ...

[​IMG]
    These maps get generated in real-time as BrandMeister repeaters get added to the system and Sysops add coordinate information to their repeater listings.

RFinder now includes a daily data feed from BrandMeister. This includes repeaters and talkgroups. DMR machines are now categorized in RFinder by the network they are on...ie DMR/BM and DMR/MARC, etc. RFinder's apps on Android and iOS and web.rfinder.net/routes.rfinder.net now are the easiest way to find BrandMeister machines worldwide.

RFinder's new Android DMR Radios (http://androiddmr.com) take advantage of BrandMeister technologies by providing a point an click real-time programming function in the RFinder Android Radio H1. There is also a new DMR hotspot function to allow easy point and click programming...this can be seen on RFinder's videos on YouTube... https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=RFinder+DMR .
    These features will be included in the new RFinder Android Radios being released in time for Christmas, the M1 and P12 as well as the H1x models. We will have availabilty on the new models in early december

RFinder is the world's largest repeater directory which has over 60.000 repeaters in over 170 countries.

Annual ~9.99US subscription to RFinder provides access to repeater data through its collections of Apps on Android and iPhone, RadioBuddy on iPhone, web, RT Systems and CHIRP radio programmers. RFinder's new feature of repeater routing
    ( http://routes.rfinder.net ) allows finding of repeaters over routes worldwide.​

One subscription, access to repeater data worldwide, from any computing device on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iPhone and popular GPS systems. Real-time radio programming on Android and iPhone is provided by the open source RFinderPi, which is based on the Raspberry Pi. RFinder is tightly integrated with EchoLink both on Android and iPhone, providing one-click connection to repeaters worldwide from the directory! Now one click goes into the radio with RFinder Android Radios...visit http://androiddmr.com .

The RFinder team has been excited to work with BrandMeister. BrandMeister's strong and flexible architecture empowers users of their system," says Bob Greenberg, W2CYK, creator of RFinder. "Brandmeister's power and flexibility has provided several epiphany moments that have driven new capabilities into the RFinder Android Radios."

“RFinder’s mashing up technologies from its new Android DMR Radio and BrandMeister is a real game changer, “ says Rudy, PD0ZRY developer in the BrandMeister team…”Point and click DMR is a revolutionary step in DMR development for the Amateur Community.”

BrandMeister is one of the technology leaders of DMR in Amateur Radio. More info at http://www.brandmeister.network .

Subscribe to RFinder at http://subscribe.rfinder.net .

- RFinder is the Official repeater Directory of Radio Amateurs Canada... Canadian Amateurs who subscribe contribute to RAC.
    - RFinder is the Official repeater Directory App of Radio Society of Great Britain... UK Amateurs who subscribe contribute to RSGB.
    - RFinder is the Official Repeater Directory of Amateur Radio Society Italia… IT Amateurs who subscribe contribute to ARS Italia.
    - RFinder is the Official Repeater Directory of Federación Mexicana de Radioexperimentadores… MX Radioaficionados who subscribe contribute to FMRE.
    - RFinder is the Official Repeater Directory of Deutscher Amateur Radio Club...DE Amateurs who subscribe contribute to DARC DE.
    - RFinder isEl directorio de LRMDetidor con la base de datos oficial de Unión de Radioaficionados Españoles...ES Amateurs who subscribe contribute to URE ES.
    - RFinder is the Official Repeater Directory of L’association Réseau des Émetteurs Français...FR Amateurs who subscribe contribute to REF FR.
    - RFinder is the Online Repeater Directory of American Radio Relay League...US Amateurs who subscribe contribute to ARRL US.
    - RFinder is the Official Repeater Directory of Cayman Amateur Radio Society...KY Amateurs who subscribe contribute to CARS KY.
    - RFinder is the Official Repeater Directory of Rede dos Emissores Portugueses...PT Amateurs who subscribe contribute to REP PT.
    - RFinder is the Official Repeater Directory of Liga de Amadores Brasilieros de Radio Emissão...BR Amateurs who subscribe contribute to LABRE BR.
    - RFinder is the Official Repeater Directory of Lietuvos Radijo Mėgėjų Draugija...LT Amateurs who subscribe contribute to LRMD LT

W6ERM and AF5SB like this.
  2. KA2ZEY

KA2ZEY Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a game changer. The fact that you no longer need a codeplug, have access to an android computer to watch dashboards and real time maps. Imagine the possibility of having a Hot Spot within the radio? Awesome. It could also be your full time cell phone.

W6ERM likes this.
  3. W2CYK

W2CYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Working on DVSI re the hotspot ;) LOL I may need a petition...They want $145K+individual licenses to talk LOL...its not over...if we can get it, hotspot will be on EVERY Android and iOS device...its a software codec!

W6ERM and KC5HWB like this.
  4. KA2ZEY

There's gotta be a way to make this happen.

5. W7IVK

W7IVK Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the future. And it is awesome.

6. W2CYK

And Fun! DMR is like having a permanent band opening in all directions!

W6ERM likes this.
  7. N2OBS

N2OBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Repeater book is still better. Amateur radio is being turned into a profit making machine, and should remain free for all to enjoy. DMR is one of MANY modes to enjoy anyways. The future will become bleak turning amateur radio into a profit machine instead of what it was suppose to be...a free service.

KV5E, KF5IRG, KE0GXB and 1 other person like this.
  8. W2CYK

Good G-d man...anyone ever teach you etiquette? If you don't have anything nice or useful to say keep it to yourself. Your comment is not only useless, but rude.

We employ people...pay taxes...invest back into the product...innovate. Support radio societies in 12 countries. Youth programs. Dude. Snap out of it.

It's so important to disparage us in public to ruin it for everyone? Read what one of the creators of BrandMeister DMR wrote above...he calls what we just developed a game changer. You want to confuse people to use an inferior system for what? To get your jollys? Having fun? If you feel like you need to say something inappropriate in the future, just hit me up so I can help you through not embarrassing yourself.

And, Make America Great Again!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    N8DEA and W7EE like this.
  9. KA2ZEY

With all due respect sir, $9 a year is not a lot to ask for.

10. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Profit machine? Why is it that people with this kind of opinion invariably recognize radio hardware as a value proposition but then balk when the product is software? The poster obviously knows nothing about business and specifically, supply and demand. I know of no ham, anywhere, who practices the hobby for free. None. Zero. Ham radio is a technological hobby and all such hobbies require cash to participate. Fortunately, the entry level is fairly low and determined participants can still get on the air for a few hundred dollars. Few, however, would be satisfied with old, junky equipment and nearly all would appreciate something better. Fortunately, more cash solves this problem.

This whole concept of "free service" is a misnomer of gargantuan proportion. The only free services are those provided by volunteers who eagerly use the best and most expensive equipment they own to provide services to the public at no charge. The radio service is "free" as defined by law, but it's implementation isn't. What's more, non-hams, let's call them civilians, would largely not know, and much less care if amateur radio ceased to exist altogether. We'd have to wait for the next hurricane or earthquake just to be thought of again.

We're the ones who are responsible for keeping this hobby alive and each one us knows that this isn't free. Software is quickly becoming the most valuable technology on the planet and untold billions of dollars are being spent on making it better. Hardware, for the most part, is a disposable commodity. The sooner more people grasp this, the sooner more advances will be made.

I would also add that if the industry which supports amateur radio didn't exist (due to lack of profits), that amateur radio would die right along with it. It's a symbiotic relationship where one can't exist without the other. Anybody who denies this simply doesn't understand how things work.

Bob, W2CYK the author of RFinder, is one of those entrepreneurs who have given up a lot to venture into a business where making a profit is never guaranteed and where ignorant hecklers won't hesitate to throw a stink bomb right into the middle of a big announcement that you've worked on for years.

We congratulate RFinder for leading the way with computer searchable repeater lisits. In a short few years they have created the best such database available anywhere. If someone tells you that a book is better, just remind them that the copy they have and the information in it was obsolete on the day it was printed.

-fred AA7BQ

K7ELJ and W0BTU like this.
  11. W2CYK

Jeepers Fred...Thanks for weighing in with what may very well be the nicest thing I have ever read about us. Thank You for your support. We feel the same about QRZ.com....

de Bob/W2CYK

12. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure the other guy was talking about RepeaterBook.com...updated regularly by users. It really is a great, up-to-date free resource.

Not saying anything against RFinder, just pointing this clarification out (pretty sure you knew it already, though).

13. W2CYK

Hi Mark...methinks you missed Fred's point...it doesn't matter if its a book or a "free service"...we work hard for the 86 cents a month...less than a cup of coffee...and we use that to make new and exciting innovations...and put food on the table. Employ people, support radio societies (you know, the groups that advocate for us?), pay taxes and support youth in the hobby.

This exciting announcement was about RFINDER, RFINDER ANDROID RADIO and BRANDMEISTER. not rb. It was about new and exciting features that don't exist anywhere else. That we busted our asses to make. That I invested money on to create. To have people come onto our exciting announcement about what WE innovated in partnership with the tech leader in DMR, BRANDMEISTER at the behest of users worldwide and spam us with useless posts about inferior and irrelevant other "free" products is counter-productive, friggin' really rude, ignorant as Fred says, just to confuse people and drive them away from the finest repeater directory on earth is just not only plainly not nice, but a disservice to anyone that reads that drivel. It happens every time we announce some new really cool feature...some yahoo has to come on and make some dumbass statement to try to confuse people. Enough already. Sheesh...some people's kids. RFinder kicks butt...get over it. We work hard for you guys.

That's all I have to say about that, until some other rb zealot opens the can of worms again. I know it's fun to make asses of yourselves, but keep it to yourselves anyway.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  14. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm thinking you didn't see my last sentence; I didn't post anything against RFinder and I'm not going to. I think these products you are coming out with are pretty cool and I was wondering when someone was going to take this route. Congrats on being the first.

15. W2CYK

No I saw that...thanks for your kind words...I just wanted to make clear to you what it looked like Fred was saying...and as you said, I think Fred knew that...there was no reason to qualify it...

I noticed you did not install the trial yet...have a look...

Bob :)