ad: GoBoxRadio-1

MFJ closing down manufacturing facilities effective May 17th 2024

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Apr 25, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC4ZGP

KC4ZGP Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't understand the self-induced agony of folks here.

It's not like you buy an R-8 antenna or an AL-811 every day.

Kraus/KC4ZGP

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Starting in a week, you may not be able to at all.

W1BR likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why sell for a loss when you can get more money by selling off stock, with no production?

K0UO likes this.
  4. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would DXE want to take over Hy-Gain and Cushcraft after MFJ totally cheapened what they used to be? If they have the necessary aluminum suppliers and know-how to design antennas, which they do, why mess with those two brand names? Besides, inefficient and lossy traps are old-school anymore.

If your rotator craps out, you do what others have to do with a defunct product...scrounge around for parts or buy a new one.

5. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let me reiterate, my statement was not intended to be political. I refrained from expressing any views on political parties or policies. Instead, I merely drew attention to the companies closing, which could have implications for the Ham Radio industry. This observation was based on the understanding that purchasing equipment often requires disposable income.

I did not say who is responsible for this economic outcome or hint; I just said this is a threat.

It is sort of like saying there is a hurricane coming; take shelter.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Best,
    DE NN2X / Tom

K4XJ, WD4IGX and KR3DX like this.
  6. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't *any* purchase besides necessary living expenses, hobby or not, require "disposable income"? I'm 78, and it's been that way forever;).

7. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have purchased most if not all my amateur gear by working "overtime".....I am 50 and still don't know what "disposable" income is.....:confused:

VA7UO, W1BR, K7JQ and 2 others like this.
  8. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't have much "disposable income" until my kids went out on their own and became successful, retired 15 years ago, and have no debt whatsoever.

KD8DWO, KR3DX, KE0GXN and 1 other person like this.
  9. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep! That is correct with me as well! DE NN2X (Well, my son is still in a University (SMU!). I sold off most of my ham equipment to cover the expenses (My mercury AMP for one!). DE NN2X

KR3DX likes this.
  10. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats! Thats my goal. I’ll be eligible to retire in 4 years, however to get debt free I plan on working till I am 60. Hopefully I can make it. ;)

KR3DX likes this.
  11. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Debt free...the secret to a pretty comfortable retirement (over 65) without needing savings/investments of $1M or more, as the 'experts' say you *must* have;). A decent Medicare insurance plan and a pension besides Social Security also helps. Of course you shouldn't go hog wild on your expenses, and live within your comfort zone.

KD8DWO, KE0GXN, WD8BP and 1 other person like this.
  12. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Missouri is MO, Mississippi is MS last time I checked.

K0UO likes this.
  13. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. Like Polaroid, Emmerson, etc.

14. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

and Philco, RCA, etc. but Martin did say he wanted his companies to stay in Starksville. After the rape and pillage of TenTec, before Mike jumped in, I don't blame him! Buyers can be found..

K0UO likes this.
  15. KA0SOH

KA0SOH Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ has always been solid in my book. I really hate to see this happen.

G8FXC and W1PEP like this.