ad: AbAuRe-1

MFJ closing down manufacturing facilities effective May 17th 2024

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Apr 25, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I did. read back at the beginning. Straight from the owner's Facebook page.

2. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

passed. ;)

KI5UXW likes this.
  3. NK4K

NK4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Say what you will, but I really enjoyed using the MFJ-1270 TNC's in the SE Dx PacketCluster network of long ago. I still have a few of them and they work perfectly now running user firmware or generations of TheNet networking firmware at 9600 baud or 19.2k baud RF. Had quite a few 9600 baud user connection points as well.

In case you never used SE Dx PacketCluster, one instance stretched from Memphis to Roanoke via Huntsville, Birmingham, Nashville Metro, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Atlanta Metro, Augusta, Greenville, Columbia, Florence (AL & SC), Charleston, Charlotte, Raleigh and so on. That system, of course, was without Internet connections, and connections between nodes functioned mostly with TheNet MFJ-1270's on 50/145/222/440 and 12xx MHz FM.

In fact, at that time, the Internet was less complicated than the venerable DB-9 connector, i.e. no civilian use and no WWW.

Some of the units are almost 40 years old now (TNC II) and many of them were famous for running 24/7 for 35+ years. I realize many of the circuits were from TAPR, but the proof of the networking is in the using.

Think of an RF network operating 24/7 for 35+ years without a single failed unit with MFJ on the front!

Amazing.

Last edited: May 4, 2024
    K0YQ likes this.
  4. KR4ZI

KR4ZI Ham Member QRZ Page

I could not believe that MFJ owner would not sell. Like leaving everyone
    High and dry. 3/4 of my equipment is MFJ from Ameritron 811H,
    Cushcraft 13B2, and A3S, Hygain T3MK3,FM214, MFJ 921,949, and 989
    Tuners, MFJ 259 analyzer and much more. I have excellent service with
    all purchaced products, but now when they fail we will have 2 options
    As I see it. I liked the middle of he road pricing. Not to cheap, but did not
    Break the bank either. I wish the owner the best, and still enjoying all
    Purchased equipment.

Charlie KR4ZI

5. K4BIZ

K4BIZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I love my AL-811 amp. Very sad to see MFJ closing.

K0YQ likes this.
  6. VA7UO

VA7UO Ham Member QRZ Page

Not only that but who or what is going to take the place of Hy-Gain and Cushcraft? Not many manufacturers except Mosley that offers HF antennas at reasonable pricing.

K6LPM likes this.
  7. VA7UO

If Hustler (Newtronics) brought back HF tribanders, I'm sure people would get in on that market.

8. VA7UO

I'm in...

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

They are one of the few that will let you open the case without voiding the warranty, And then send you the needed parts to repair it. :)

Even if it was Operator Error.

K0UO and WD5GWY like this.
  10. K3DFD

K3DFD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DXE adds the experience of Summit Racing to manage the acquisition of brands, source manufacturing and determine the best way to keep a subset of MFJ's products alive. I hope that DXE and MFJ return to the table.

WD4IGX and K0UO like this.
  11. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

He's got to find a buyer first, if he's hamaging money and had shut down production it's going to be even worse.

And if he's just going to turn it over to somebody. they're going to have to have the capital $$$ and show that they can do something with the company. It cost money to do warranty and to get production running again along with inventory through the supply chain .
    Or he'll just continue trying to sell it sell off Divisions.
    Going back to DX engineering we know they have the capital to do anything where others are just blowing through their mouths. The owner of GigaParts probably has resources for raising that Revenue with this European contacts also. It looks like to me based on their sales, you're going to need close to 3 million to keep things running which I outlined that previously.

I truly want to see the business continue

Last edited: May 5, 2024
  12. KC8TYK

KC8TYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are better modern amps on the market for less than you purchase a Ameritron for. Look at VK3AMP or Dx World. This won't be the end someone will fill the void.

K7JQ and K5MPH like this.
  13. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Its the antenna side that I'm concerned about... Cushcraft and Hy-Gain. DXE already has aluminum suppliers and would make the best candidate to take over those lines. Where are we going to find parts for our Hy-Gain rotators?

AE5GT, K6LPM and K0UO like this.
  14. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if there's a business opportunity in selling at least some of MFJ's gear as kits.

15. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

MFJ did sell a kit version of one of their tuners (941 I believe) but I don’t think it was a commercial success.

Of course, some say that ALL MFJ products were kits.

KE0GXN and K0UO like this.