ad: TinyPaddle-1

Yaesu 710 or ICOM 7300: Which has the better display?

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by N2MAK, May 3, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N2MAK

N2MAK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It was a great question I got from a viewer back in the winter: which transceiver has a better display in sunlight? When I was able to get my hands back on our club's Yaesu FT-710 this week, I had the perfect weather to test it with my ICOM IC-7300. Here's how they compared.

2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The 7300 came out in 2015-16 it was the best bang for the buck by far.
    Last year Dayton I got a 710 for $900, with the external Monitor and more modern received features on the SDR. It's now the best bang for your buck.
    When using the external monitor there's a lot more settings on it than on the 7300, similar to the Flex. You do need to set the colors up on the 710 to match a conditions when/where your using it. I've run both mobile and by far the 710 screen is much brighter and clearer when set up properly. It's not just a contrast or brightness there's so many other functions you can set on it. I'm an Icom guy overall, but they did it right on the FT710, DX10, and the 101, all the screen functions are pretty much the same on all three radios.

7300s out sold all the others. However it appears to me that more people are still buying the FTDX10, then the FT710. When you look at Sherwood's list, their neck to neck, either number 3 or 4, depending on the different specifications on each radio, showing that the filtering on the FT10 doesn't help that much. The full SDR FT710 is much quieter than the original 7300

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily

Last edited: May 3, 2024
    N2MAK likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Interesting the 7300 is set to 7.200 and the 710 is on 14.313 :D:D

Question: what is the brown gear case you're using? That looks interesting - appears to have a dedicated spot for the radio...

Dave
    W7UUU

KQ4GUI, N2MAK and K0UO like this.
  4. N2MAK

I felt that the original price on the 710 was the biggest problem and it led people to either spend a little more for the DX10 or a little less for the 7300. Yaesu dropped the price and that makes it much more competitive. I have the ICOM 7300 and 705, but the 710 is fun to use. It just takes a little getting used too, but I'm excited to be able to play with it some more.

K0UO and W7UUU like this.
  5. N2MAK

That's the Gigaparts Explorer Backpack. I recently picked one up on sale and use it for my ICOM 7300. It's modular and they sell pouches for different radios and gear. I primarily operate portable (POTA & SOTA), so it's handy to be able to fit and organize a lot in the bag. Here's a link to it.

https://www.gigaparts.com/explorer-modular-backpack.html

KK4OID and W7UUU like this.
  6. KQ4GUI

KQ4GUI Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe he will set up a full time cw tone to block the use of those frequency's.

N2MAK likes this.
  7. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Howz it look when you're in the actual operating position? Like in the operator's umbra?
    I never tried this with either of those radios but, with my 705, and 817 they're pretty unreadable until I get between them and the sun.

N2MAK likes this.
  8. N2MAK

I'm glad some people spotted that Easter egg, LOL. It's frustrating what happens on the frequencies, but at least my son (who has his General) and I know where to avoid.

KQ4GUI likes this.
  9. N2MAK

The screens on these are both great under normal circumstances. I'm used to the 7300, but I do like the "Spider-Man" font Yaesu has been using lately. If it's bright out, I'd do my best to find some shade or at least cover the radios.

KQ4GUI likes this.