ad: HamHats-1

MFJ closing down manufacturing facilities effective May 17th 2024

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Apr 25, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4DL

K4DL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Those are the same imported products that MFJ and others already sell and will continue.

I don't know of any Amateur Radio product that Gigaparts manufactures themselves but DXE does manufacture some items.

N6RLS, K7FD and KE0GXN like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you know there hasn't been interest or negotiations? A good business does this privately.

3. KB8SKK

KB8SKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Rumor, co. must stay in MS.

Let the local (MSU) purchase for training, EE, MBA
    get some hands on: How to save a co.
    Or work out a deal, to continue the name:
    IE: MFJ Lab, ect.

will be a Damn shame, to let another go down the tube. IMO

4. KG3I

KG3I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So very sorry to hear that MFJ will no longer be part of amateur radio life. Say what you will, MFJ filled a nitch in the community for a very long time and touched many of our lives.

Enjoy your retirement Martin and thank you sir!

God Bless es 73,

Doug kg3i

WD4IGX likes this.
  5. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It would be nice if DX Engineering could buy out Cushcraft and HyGain. They already have the suppliers for antenna parts.

K6LPM and K0UO like this.
  6. N8WFF

N8WFF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Chip, Just because you asked. Vision align fully automatic solder paste stencil printer on line 3. Newest addition to line two of our pick and place room, the MY15E being wheeled in and landed last Friday. Reflow oven #2. Newer CNC turret press being installed in the metal shop. I'd much rather be making metal down at MFJ. Their shop is up and running. Through hole and wave soldering is the next room over. Xray and visual inspection and rework is all the way over behind the big machines. Notice the ESD safe flooring throughout the building. That is 60K of tile. 73 Mike IMG_2708.JPG 291.JPG IMG_3242.JPG 483.JPG 483.JPG

K6LPM, N9EAW, SM5KNV and 11 others like this.
  7. W9AC

W9AC Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll add a sixth since it's in my professional area:

6. Understanding and maintaining legal awareness of intellectual property rights, human resources, OSHA, E-Verify, and other federal and state regulatory employment and manufacturing requirements.

If you've lived a life only as a career military, civil service, public service, or education worker, you can't possibly understand the complexities of private industry. Don't even pretend. There's no point in even suggesting how Martin Jue should manage the winding down of his business.

Paul, W9AC

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
    WD4IGX, N9EAW, K3EY and 3 others like this.
  8. N8XTH

N8XTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll just applaud @N8WFF and @W9AC for the most accurate views on this whole situation!

K3EY and KR3DX like this.
  9. N9DG

N9DG Ham Member QRZ Page

I think there is a 7th..

A sizeable percentage of the customer base who caries a sense of entitlement, while being cheap.

N7EKU, KK1N, AC8MA and 2 others like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Drool!

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It is indeed a daily pain in the butt, that no amount of risk management nor forecasting can anticipate nor fix.

Sometimes, you just gotta take a hike. Get lost (how many times have I been told that on the Zed:)?)

Prefereably, as in my present case, in Moab;-)

(ohhh..my knees...)

W0PV likes this.
  12. KI5UXW

KI5UXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike, thank you for doing this; I can’t offer you any money as I’m about to be a poor college student but if you need maybe outreach and some social media stuff, I’d be more than happy to volunteer for y’all :)

KR3DX, N8WFF and W1BR like this.
  13. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish all the best to Mike. His $$$ is behind his business. We should wish him the best and hope he can thrive. The old TenTec is dead... let us hope for the future instead.

KR3DX likes this.
  14. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

. Of course, that alsoQUOTE="N9DG, post: 6855321, member: 701829"]I think there is a 7th..

A sizeable percentage of the customer base who caries a sense of entitlement, while being cheap.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, you can only control what your business provides, and how you react to conditions that prevail. What you *can't* control are consumer preferences, their "sense of entitlement", and the money they're willing to spend based on their financial ability. What's "cheap" to you might be expensive to them. The customer *isn't always right*...they might be a PITA...but without them to buy your product, you have *no* business. If you don't cater to their needs, your business won't be successful.

Remember one important thing about being in business..."Nothing happens until the cash register rings". Of course, that also includes the credit card being authorized, and the check clears:rolleyes:.

NM9K and KR3DX like this.
  15. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish Martin the best in any direction he takes. Following 225 posts ...... 50 years ago a young Martin took on the ham radio market with energy and an idea. It takes off and goes with an American dream like story. Buying up some old brands along the way.

I wonder and guessing he was a workaholic. Somehow the management team ?? there could have been be a better exit plan.

WD4IGX and K0UO like this.