ad: ProAudio-1

MFJ closing down manufacturing facilities effective May 17th 2024

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Apr 25, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

A few of us also understand Mike' position and his COMMITTMENT to amateur radio, with first quality amps and accessories. Mike doesnt have a sprawling mansion on the hill: he's put his resources into the facility to take it to the state of the art. I hope Mike puts up some of the cool pictures of the facility at the Dayton booth;-)

Thanks for continuing that committment Mike!

Chip W1YW

K6LPM, VA7UO, RA3FY and 3 others like this.
  2. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The five worst aspects of owning any business:

1. Under-capitalization
    2. Dealing with employees
    3. Competition
    4. Economic conditions
    5. Biting off more than you can chew

If you're not prepared to recognize and understand those, then work for someone else.

N8WFF, K4BAD and K0UO like this.
  3. KC4ZGP

KC4ZGP Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, why haven't you?

Kraus/KC4ZGP

4. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Very well written Mike and oh so true. It is heartwarming to see you want to make an effort to continue MFJ.

I can very well relate since I also own a small company (2.5 FTE including myself) serving a niche marine electronics market worldwide from private sailors to merchant fleets, super yachts and navies. We were lucky to have enough flesh on the bones to survive half a year without any sales, due to the component shortage. The uniqueness of our products saved us, not a single customer walked away.

I qouted your last paragraph because in the marine and boatbuilding business that joke is the same. And I too love what I'm doing, it pays the bills and my customers are happy, so they tell me.

I sincerely hope that your call gets good response and that you're able to keep MFJ afloat.

73, Meindert - PA0MHS

N8WFF and KB8SKK like this.
  5. AK4BQ

AK4BQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Martin...enjoy retirement and your family.

WD4IGX, KB8SKK and W3AMT like this.
  6. N1IA

N1IA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

USA manufacturing at the scale of MFJ is a dying breed. And to be honest....a lot of US-made amateur stuff (what little is left) isn't up to the specs of European or even Japanese manufacturing. MFJ is only a symptom of the problem. The US are full of consumers, and make little to nothing, not counting semiconductors.

WD4IGX and K0DUC like this.
  7. KC4ZGP

KC4ZGP Ham Member QRZ Page

In the days of old when knights were bold and condoms not yet invented, amateurs built and maintained their equipment.

They didn't make the tube. Neither did MFJ.

They didn't make the relay. Neither did MFJ.

etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Kraus/KC4ZGP

K6LPM likes this.
  8. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think HRO should jump on it if they can get the price from Martin they need to make it work.

Gigaparts has created their own line of products and DX Engineering has their own as well. IMO, HRO could grab MFJ and make it their own without the start up costs or having to re-invent the wheel....

HRO that I am aware of is the only one of the big 3 vendors that does not have it's own product line.

Just some thoughts from a non-business person....I could be totally off base.

K0UO likes this.
  9. KI4KEA

KI4KEA Ham Member QRZ Page

It's going to be sad to go to a ham radio event and not see the MFJ booth with all the items in any color you want.

As long as it's black. :)

I have had a few of their products. My tuner works wonderfully.

K0UO likes this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I 100% agree

K7JQ likes this.
  11. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, Steve. Only someone with experience in business ownership would *fully* understand what I wrote. I owned and operated a small chain of retail shoe stores in the Philadelphia area for 17 years before I retired to Arizona. It was hard work, all-time consuming, and not all peaches and cream. It could be your best friend (compensation) and your worst enemy (operations) at the same time. Finding competent employees and trusting them was difficult, no matter how much vetting you did on them.

Striking a balance between the two was difficult, being diligent in my quest to succeed. I think Martin saw/had things getting out of hand in today’s business climate, and just decided to (especially at 80) call it a day…retire and enjoy the rest of his life. Good for him.

I know I’m much happier and content now than I was running the business. Being younger, it was a challenge, but sometimes you just gotta know when it’s time to get out.

To those hoping an HRO or DXE buying MFJ…IMO, what a bad idea that would be for them. They’re successful at what they do…selling other manufacturer’s goods. Why risk all that by investing time, money, energy, and other resources in a flailing business that would need to be completely revamped from the top down to possibly support profitability. See point #5 in my post #199 on this thread.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
    K0UO and N4NXD like this.
  12. N4NXD

N4NXD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I totally understand why Mr. Jue would not sell off the scraps like other once great electronics companies (Radio Shack anyone) have gone to leveraged buyouts and "name" whores. Much more graceful to just fade out and sign off than allow vultures to destroy your once good name.

13. KB8SKK

KB8SKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I still think there is some meat on the bones.
    Really not enough info put out on what the sale would include. IMO
    I kinda like the plan of a joint venture. But not many ppl want a partnership.

Not everyone can afford a 4k amp, or 5-mil for outdated tech and Eq.

14. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DXE and Gigaparts don’t just sell other people’s stuff, they both sell their own stuff too.

DXE under the DXE brand and Gigaparts under the Intellitron brand.

Heck if you look at the Intellitron stuff on the Gigaparts website, the Intellitron stuff looks almost ironically the same as current MFJ products.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
    WD4IGX and N6RLS like this.
  15. K4DL

K4DL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I suspect Martin knows.

K0UO likes this.