ad: Flexradio-1

MFJ closing down manufacturing facilities effective May 17th 2024

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Apr 25, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. XX0XX

XX0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

2. WA2TAK

WA2TAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Found this info on Wikipedia of all places:
    [​IMG]
    Company type Private
    Industry Electronics
    Founded 1972
    Headquarters Starkville, Mississippi
    Area served
    Worldwide
    Key people
    Martin F. Jue (founder), Steven Pan (vice president)
    Products Amateur radio equipment
    Revenue $12,600,000 (2010)
    Number of employees
    150 (at main location)

3. KE8YSJ

KE8YSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is indeed a major loss. Sigh....

4. KE8YSJ

Thanks Dave, but I am unable to start a post here.
    Lyman
    KE8YSJ

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
    WB8DD likes this.
  5. KE8YSJ

I have a question. I was just about to order an Ameritron Amp and while they will honor the one year Warranty, what happens in Month 13? Or in three years from now? Can anyone recommend a good and reputable Amplifier repair company that services Ameritron?
    Thank you,
    Lyman
    KE8YSJ

6. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

150 employees and only $12.5 million. Company I worked for in 1980 has 35 employees and $42 million sales.

7. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

What does Missouri have to do with this?

K4PIH, K1APJ and K0UO like this.
  8. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

While some find this sad,I'm not the least bit upset by the news.
    The last 7 years I've been a ham,my MFJ gear has been disappointing.
    Which was a surprise since I broke down back in the 90s and got a MFJ901b tuner that I absolutely loved since it could tune a pushpin.

Quality obviously dropped off since because each piece I bought the last few years fell apart,wasn't built correctly,damaged other gear,or just didn't work like it should .
    Dosy Watts =MFJ watts = 0 watts eventually.
    Power supplies fried,tuners had screws damaging meter housings,antenna switches broke,antennas came apart.
    I am hoping someone will take the gear ,fix it the way it should have been built in the first place and pick up where they left off.
    Old adage,you get what you pay for.

I like buying my quality gear second hand because it was built right the first time
    I would like my 901b back though

VA7UO and YL3IM like this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Martin
    Just didn't do a good job setting his company up the last 5 or 10 years for a sale. And then the virus hit and messed up more things according to him.

I've been involved in a number of mergers and Acquisitions over the years. Small companies like his are difficult to find buyers, particularly the way he had his set up.

What surprises me is he just shut the whole thing down. Several of those companies have good value on their own.
    Now that he's announced to shut down, the value of those divisions have dropped in half, and more everyday since he doesn't have his people and production lines in operation.
    It's hard to find investment bankers. I really thought the owner of GigiParts was also also looking at them pretty heavy.

WD4IGX likes this.
  10. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well they have access to the books, they know exactly what the assets are worth and have a fair idea on how much goodwill should be on top of that based on trading figures. Anyway, the point is, none of us have access to that data and we do not know what the offer was that was made. But knowing MFJ he would have put a fair value on the business, as history has shown he prices his items fairly.

K0UO likes this.
  11. K0UO

I never did find who his business broker was, and I have a pretty complete list of brokers in the United States, especially in the southeast.
    He just really didn't have his business set up to sell. Which is the case for many long time family owned small businesses, making them difficult to sell. And unattractive to equity investment groups.

I don't know how prepared the sale and how extensive the due diligence package and putting the package together was.

By shutting it down he's lost all kind of value, even on the divisions that were attractive.

12. KB8SKK

KB8SKK Ham Member QRZ Page

just spitballing here 3-5 mil ?
    what you think ?

13. K0UO

His annual sales were more than that but I think his profit margin had dropped considerably, not even sure what his profit was since 2020. He must be hemorrhaging money if he had to shut the thing down.

So you'Your numbers are probably in the ballpark. It's worth less now since he made the announcement.

14. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If that was the price, I think that I, and many other hams, could pull of an acquisition of MFJ. I'm too old to consider doing such a thing now. I'm just a few years behind Martin Jue. It would be nice if the ham radio community had an idea of what he wanted for the business. There is likely someone that would consider buying it.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish Martin the very best.

His products have enabled countless hours of enjoyment, skill, and learning for 10s of thousands of hams. There is really no one who can take his place, nor the enterprise he built.

Chip W1YW

AE8EM, KK1N, W1PEP and 9 others like this.