ad: wmr-1

Gwyn Griffiths G3ZIL Honored by The Radio Society of Great Britain For Work on Ionospheric Research

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX2R, Apr 15, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WX2R

WX2R Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Radio Society of Great Britain (RSGB) has announced that HamSCI contributor Gwyn Griffiths G3ZIL has received the Les Barclay Memorial award for his pioneering work on the use FST4W to investigate multiple aspects of ionospheric propagation.

Griffiths, an acclaimed scientist, and recipient of the Member of the British Empire (MBE) has also contributed extensively to the "wsprdaemon" system with fellow HamSCI contributer Rob Robinette AI6VN.

HamSCI founder Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D. W2NAF, noted “Wow, that is fantastic! Congratulations to Gwyn; I can't think of anyone more deserving! He has an outstanding ability to routinely make insightful and thoughtful analysis out of challenging observations. I am so glad he is being recognized this way for his contributions”.

HamSCI serves as a means for fostering collaboration between professional researchers and amateur radio operators. It assists in developing and maintaining standards and agreements between all people and organizations involved. Its goals are to advance scientific research and understanding through amateur radio activities and encourage the development of new technologies to support this research.

For more information about HamSCI, to join our mailing list, or participate in our work, please visit us at www.hamsci.org.

###

Attached Files:

N4FZ, WA4KFZ, G3SEA and 10 others like this.
  2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

My thanks for an informative post

WA4KFZ and HB9EPC like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats:)

4. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

That is fantastic - Congratulation to Gwyn:):):):D.

5. M6EVR

M6EVR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations

WA4KFZ likes this.
  6. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Its good to know, that operators like Gwyn - G3ZIL bring the scientific back into the hobby. These are often topics were other operators roll with their eyes and say its not possibel to get to know or they know instead. To that for official departments its got nothing in common with HAM-Radio and its definition. This causes often a gap between reality and the exam.

But after I read the presentation by Gwyn - G3ZIL, it shows the typical unanswered questions. Whats the signals RF path, the number of hops and the propagation mechanism?

http://wsprdaemon.org/ewExternalFiles/SDRA2023_Presentation-print.pdf

Here I see a study not really on a wrong way, but it cant show the rest of the ionosphere with its secrets which were found by NASA at Mars. In cause of that, there could be big misunderstandings in the ionosphere and its assembling. Often its not that what it seems to be.

At last the Whisper technology is really sensitive and brings maybe not right interpreted results. The ionosphere on Earth is alive and fast. This is like the Suns cycle. In the minimum the forecasts are brilliant, in the high active period of the Sun a laugh.

All in all its a difficult field with much opinions. Every new verified discovery here is good, equal by whom.

Since the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, everybody knows about not right interpreted processes. :)
    But it cant get here to this. So long.

WA4KFZ, M7VGN, LY2BGR and 1 other person like this.
  7. DG7RF

DG7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations thanks

8. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Imua ! :cool:
    KH6/G3SEA

WA4KFZ likes this.
  9. WA4KFZ

WA4KFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent! I’ll spend some time reading up on Gwyn’s work.