ad: QSLWorks-1

END-of-LIFE (EOL) for Z80 CPU and PERIPHERALS Announced

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W9GB, Apr 21, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In a Product Change Notification (PCN) published on April 15, Zilog (now owned by Littelfuse) announced the End of Life for a range of Z80 products, specifically virtually all of the Z84C00 range. This also includes the peripherals, such as the Z84C10 range of MPUs. These are currently already marked as EoL on stores like Mouser, with Littelfuse noting that the Last Orders with them can be placed until June 14, 2024.
    After the Last Order Date, you’ll have to try your luck with shady EBay sellers and a lucky box of old-new-stock found in the back of a warehouse.

END-OF-LIFE FOR Z80 CPU AND PERIPHERALS ANNOUNCED
    https://hackaday.com/2024/04/19/end-of-life-for-z80-cpu-and-peripherals-announced/

Zilog, a Littlefuse company since 2017
    https://www.mouser.com/PCN/Littelfuse_PCN_Z84C00.pdf

KB0MNM likes this.
  2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess this may affect some current AEA products? long live my PK232.

KB0MNM likes this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Only 50ish years of availability? They expect me to update my design every 50 years now??!?

Sheesh.

AB2T, N6HCM, KR4EE and 2 others like this.
  4. VK5KKS

VK5KKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I did my initial microprocessor training on the Z80 and still have my big fat book "programming the Z80" by Rodney Zaks. Gosh, that book was new when I got it way back in 1983. Now I play with Arduino.

PAULRON and KV6O like this.
  5. WB6MIO

WB6MIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Industrial users must have been buying them to support their legacy equipment. I am surprised Zilog had still been making them after all these years.

6. KD2QQF

KD2QQF Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad to hear. The retro tech community is/was designing systems based around that CPU. I guess someone will have to create a FPGA that does the same thing, or simply start manufacturing a clone(buying the rights or not, as I'm sure Zilog wouldn't care as it won't cut into their market share of a discontinued product. Not sure any patent would still apply to a 50yr old chip either.

7. KD2QQF

KD2QQF Ham Member QRZ Page

As I can't seem to edit, my last post.

They do say the eZ80 will be continued, so I highly suspect there will; quickly be a source for a little circuit board, with a eZ80 soldered to 1 side, and DIP pin headers compatible with the Z80 footprint available.

K6CLS likes this.
  8. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Wow, there's a blast from the past. Long live the Z80 !

One of my first jobs (while still in college) was wire-wrapping those on proto boards for PABX systems. What a nightmare. :eek:

9. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

6800,6502, 6510...?
    8080?

10. KC6ETE

KC6ETE Ham Member QRZ Page

I designed the Z-80 into millions of credit card terminals back in 1983+ The high end desktops of the day were 6 MHz Z-80s, and the terminals (Verifone "ZON" line) were 4 MHz. Fun days indeed.
    But I wouldn't consider using one today, you can get so much more in the ARM line, for very little money.
    Times change.. The Z-80 had a hell of a run!

11. WA7QZR

WA7QZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I've been taking of both of my IMSAI 8080's with the Cromico ZPU's for all these years now, so I guess I'm still okay. At least, there's no self-destruct microcode embedded in it. Long live the S-100 buss :)

N0NC likes this.
  12. W3IHM

W3IHM Ham Member QRZ Page

EOL: Z80, me next....... we both had a hell of a run! Still have the SDK85 board, and the mighty INFO-TECH 4004 powered CW keyboard WITH 64 bits of RAM.

73 es GB,

W3IHM

13. W3IHM

W3IHM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, I have an S-100 A/D board, if you want it.

WA7QZR likes this.
  14. W9GB

Earlier this week, I placed an order of Four (4) Zilog Z80, 10 MHz (40-pin DIP) with Digi-Key.
    Both Mouser and Digi-Key are currently Backordered for the Z80, 10 MHz part (but arriving shortly).

269-3898-ND
    Z84C0010PEG
    IC MPU Z80 10MHZ 40DIP
    10 MHZ

The Z80 at 10 MHz was the low-power upgrade for Paccomm TNCs, 9600 upgrade boards,
    and other multi-mode Z80 modems from 1990s.
    It is also used with the S-100 Computers Z80 Master Board, V2 designed by John Monaghan.
    http://www.s100computers.com/My System Pages/Z80 Board/Z80 CPU Board.htm#V2 Z80 CPU Board

The 6 MHz and 8 MHz CMOS Z80 parts are IN STOCK at both Mouser and Digi-Key.
    ===
    There are a number of Surplus (used) and New Old Stock NMOS Z80 parts up to 5 MHz clock speed.
    The used ones are Pulls from various electronics designed in 20th century.

Electronic Surplus (Mentor, OH) has reduced the price for their NOS (Surplus)
    MOSTEK MK3880N-4 (Z80, 4 MHz, NMOS, 0-70C, 40-pin DIP)
    from $6.50 to $4.98 (284 LEFT IN STOCK)
    This specific processor was used in countless Z-80 computers (~40+ years ago)
    Tandy/Radio Shack, Commodore, Kaypro, S-100 CPU cards (2/4 MHz)

https://www.electronicsurplus.com/mostek-z80cpu-0-70c-4mhz-proc-new-40-dip

Electronic Surplus
    8755 Munson Road #6
    Mentor, OH 44060
    1 (440) 205-8388

KB0MNM likes this.
  15. W9GB

Did ZILOG (Littlefuse) get Swamped with Orders ?
    These ICs are fabricated by a Silicon Manufacturer “Factory” (east Asia).

When I placed my Zilog Z80 (10 MHz) order thru Digi-Key earlier this week,
    marked as BACKORDERED, a June Delivery Date was expected.

This morning, Digi-Key reported an Update from ZILOG :
    Manufacturer is currently unable to commit a delivery date