ad: Radclub22-1

GoKit Challenge - A great event to have in your area!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5VOP, Feb 13, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KN1B

KN1B Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup. Built it 15+ years ago, HF, VHF, UHF, and small laptop in a wheeled Pelican case. Was living in S. Louisiana. Used it once at the Parish EOC for a hurricane. Was given a corner, set up, and mostly ignored (other than a couple snide comments). Another time I brought out to the camp in Atchafalaya Swamp. That was fun, very little noise. Other than those 2 times, it sits in the garage.

After the EOC incident, the few times the Parish EOC wanted traffic passed for an incident or event, a deputy would bring it to the home shack and come back a little later to pick it up. Another time the Red Cross was looking for operators at the shelter. They weren't having any luck getting anyone. I packed up my "to go box", my antenna tote, and my push up pole, and headed over to offer my assistance. There was no hams there and they turned me away because I hadn't had Red Cross radio training. I have a commercial radio license as well. I have been in the commercial radio business for almost as long as I've been a ham. I just shrugged my shoulders and said good luck, and headed back to the house. Never again will I deploy to sit and be laughed at.

Maybe one day I'll do some POTA, but it's so much more comfortable sitting in my shack when I want to do radio.

I know a lot of hams enjoy their "to go boxes", I'm not one of them. More power to them.

Hopefully there isn't a disaster t need them. Been through more hurricanes than I care to count. I am far more comfortable in my house, with generator, food, water, AC, and my XYL.

AB3JF, KG5RJR, AC9YY and 1 other person like this.
  2. VE3NGG

VE3NGG Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely hate having to listen to music for 30 seconds or more before video starts. Why does everyone have to bombard us with loud music before getting to the point

KE0GXN, WD8ED, KD9YMB and 2 others like this.
  3. KC3JH

KC3JH Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K7DPO

K7DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My go box is more like a "Weighing Anchor" event. (Posted on my QRZ page). I have been waiting for some nice weather to take it out on her maiden voyage. Jeep thingy...

5. KI5WPP

KI5WPP Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw a video by K8MRD of the event in 2023. Looks fun. Some nice ideas.

KG5RJR likes this.
  6. WA5KM

WA5KM Ham Member QRZ Page

A simple $5 microphone ind cable plugged into that 1000 radio would help

AC0GT likes this.
  7. KG5RJR

KG5RJR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So come on out to the event and bypass the talking heads!! You will have a great time.

8. K7OPP

K7OPP Ham Member QRZ Page

I followed all these steps. But it wasn't about being a comms hero (we have enough of those), it's about being quick and efficient when setting up. I've since torn down the box. now its a kit that fits in a bag. All connections are out the front and everything can be monitored and accessed out the front. Essentially its just a 991A, tuner, Buddipole Power mini, and batteries all in a nice neat little package, with one switch to turn them all on. When I get to a park, its just coax and antenna.

AC9YY likes this.
  9. WA2TLY

WA2TLY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We all have opinions and all are welcome. It is a blessing that needing a GO kit has not been necessary except in rare local circumstances for many years. That being said with the atomic clock being 1 minute before midnite and Putin threatening nuclear warfare I would like to have a go kit ready that will resist an E M P ( faraday cage ) , has a battery that can be recharged by 20 different means from a bicycle to solar panels , an easy to set up HF radio and antenna. I don't think computers will be working nor will repeaters so a handheld 2m rig for local coms is all I expect will ever work if properly protected from EMP. No computer will work since the internet will be fried ( well it might work but you won't be able to use it on the internet ) but maybe I am more pessimistic then I should be. Your mileage may vary. I would guess tree huggers will be happy cuz 90% of humans will die and earth can have it's climate change back to whatever mother nature thinks it should be.
    Each to his own and Darwin will decide
    73 LARRY WA2TLY

10. KJ5EXP

KJ5EXP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I do enjoy my portable system. I work on the road 1300 miles from home and live in a camper, Its my shack in a box. Plus I take it out for POTA events on the weekend. It plugs into the wall or runs on 12v battery with a solar charger. I'm also doing a real compact backpack setup that's battery only for hiking. So many possibilities with these radios.
    [​IMG]

KG5RJR, K7OPP and KC9ONY like this.
  11. K7OPP

K7OPP Ham Member QRZ Page

I like your style. (Same Bed cover :) ) I'm pretty much doing the same, my compact set up you mentioned is the 817. radio.jpg

KG5RJR and KJ5EXP like this.
  12. KJ5EXP

KJ5EXP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I like it! Very nice! Yep, this is my 3rd Diamondback cover. They are amazing.