ad: HamHats-1

The (K1T) Special Event Station count down to July 23, 2017

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by N6QIC, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Hi Steve - I'm all ready in the Novice Corner - will start calling you directly - then if Pat is around, will call him directly after I get you in the log :)

7.11434 is the "modern radio" spot to tune for me for a 600-800 Hz note with this particular rock. Otherwise, you know how to find me :)

Dave
    W7UUU/K1T

N7ANN likes this.
  2. W6NYA

W6NYA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just worked K1T from Southern Cal this evening on 20m. Propagation was pretty "iffy" north-south for me tonight but we did manage to hear each other :) I have my SASE inside an envelope with my QSL card to you.

Hope you are enjoying your event!

Jim
    W6NYA

AF6LJ and W7UUU like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Sigh. I can't believe I'm now into day two with only 139 contacts in the log :( My goal was 100 minimum per day, which if we had a little decent propagation, wouldn't be a problem. I am still holding out lots of hope though - after the disastrous CME of last week, surely 20m will come back to some sort of normal life - I'm not expecting 1957 all over again - but just a few spots would be nice right about now :)

On the air again tomorrow - 40/80 are S9+15 summer noise right now - no point in trying

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  4. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's really interesting, I have no noise at all on 40. Was hearing the east coast tonight.

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm... not NEARLY that much noise 50 mi North of you, with the 40m yagi pointed toward you. Noise on 80m is about par. CA stations are loud. Later in the wee hours, VK-ZL is VERY loud on 40m. I've been working 'em easily w/ only 100W. OTOH, I listened for you on the freqs you listed here and on the DX cluster and nada.

6. W7UUU

Wow - I'm jealous Lisa. But I live in a pretty urban area. Anne and I are planning to move to "the country" (Google "Key Peninsula, WA") in two years - we plan to buy 5+ acres next summer with a nice home, and take a year to move in. I'm in a cul-de-sac with a zillion track homes all around me in every direction and ancient power poles, all with a 40m antenna that's just a vee with apex about 45 feet, ends about 10 feet. So far from ideal it's laughable.

I really had most of my eggs in the "20/15/10" basket with my beam at 50 feet - just a few weeks ago was working DX over the pole right and left, as well as all the East Coast states, VK and ZL, etc.

But I'm confident that 20 will come back in time - I'm very persistent, and the CME event from last week can't surely continue to be a problem. It's only a matter of time.

I often recall my three years of remote operation for the WAQP "Salmon Run" where I worked the world on 80 and 40, with just a G5RV up about 40 feet - but the difference being I was out in the country away from the horrid city noise I have here.

Dave
    W7UUU/K1T

N7ANN likes this.
  7. W7UUU

Can't explain it other than the post above.... it is what I experience. I wish I could make it be otherwise. I really truly do. It must just be something to do with my particular semi-urban neighborhood.

And note: listening now I have S6 noise on 40m - but no significant actual signals heard....

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  8. N6QIC

If you want to try for the heck of it, pick a freq on 40, low around 7.210 or so and I will se if i can hear you.

9. W7UUU

I'm on 7246 right now, tuned up on the SB-101.... shall I call you?

Dave
    W7UUU/K1T

N7ANN and N6QIC like this.
  10. N6QIC

give me a few min 7246

11. W7UUU

Standing by....

Dave
    W7UUU

12. W7UUU

Finally got N6QIC in the log for K1T - I just wish I could work an antenna on this urban lot for 40m that could overcome the poor reception.

It's really discouraging :(

Dave
    W7UUU

13. N6QIC

Ok good contact, thank you Dave. You were booming in here with a great signal, I was only 100 watts.

Thanks again for the contact,

Lisa

14. W7UUU

Thanks Lisa - it's just the receiving end here and overcoming my local cul-de-sac noise and all that. Argh.

I really had a lot of hopes for the 20/15/10 side with the beam high above it all.... were there any decent propagation on the higher bands, I'd be sitting in a sea of pileups

But I'm really glad I got you in the K1T log. I've already done my LoTW and QRZ log updates for the day but you'll show up in tomorrow's uploads

Thanks again,

Dave
    W7UUU

15. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, just an SWL report - I copied you on CW on 20m for much of 2300z - 0000z yesterday here in East TN. 539 was best copy. Conditions weren't great. I copied virtually nobody that you were in QSO with. I called you a few times, but no dice. :(

Love that you're staging this event and still hopeful of catching you, Heathkit-toHeathkit!

73 de Steve KE4OH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.