ad: Radclub22-1

Do Contests Need to Change? Kyle Krieg AA0Z Makes His Case

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Apr 4, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB5DW

WB5DW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are coming to argue that their WiFi uses RF so they are justified in using the internet to contest.

K2BKT likes this.
  2. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Straw man arguments aren't helping anyone.

3. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

There’s still no reason to have a license. Maybe they can cheat and make up a call sign. And what if the connection from their computer to modem/router is hard-wired (like mine)? Is that cheating?

WB5DW likes this.
  4. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

As I said elsewhere:

My radio jack of choice is a SO-239, not an ethernet port.

WB5DW, KE0GXN, K2BKT and 2 others like this.
  5. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not a straw man argument. It’s relative to this topic. Last I read, “radio” involves the reception/transmission of RF. If we do contesting over the internet, it could be called Amateur…uhhh…”Gaming”?

KE0GXN likes this.
  6. AC0GT

There's nothing to suggest removing the radio, only adding the internet.

7. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

The proposal is to make submitting to an internet score board mandatory. And that your radio must have an ethernet plug so that band data can be transmitted over Youtube/Twitch/Onlyfans. That's a pretty big jump.

8. AC0GT

That may be a big jump but not so big that the radio is removed from the contest.

9. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

What used to be required for amateur radio: a radio (receiver and a transmitter) and an antenna. This is a quantum change that excludes basically anyone who isn't fully connected or have a modern, state of the art radio.

My radio doesn't have an ether net plug. And I'm not about to go buy one simply to satisfy the "gotta have it now" crowd.

10. WB5DW

WB5DW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Then they will say that their wireless mouse and wireless keyboard will be sufficient for the RF requirement.

K7JQ likes this.
  11. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It would remove MY radio from the contest. I don't have an ethernet port on mine, and I can't afford a new radio right now.

12. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Its pretty much the anthesis of "inclusiveness". Unless you have high-speed Internet, unless you have an eternet jack on your radio, and unless you have a webcam in your shack.....you can't play in our contest.

What happened to welcoming amateurs of any means, from any socioeconomic background, and from any geography?

Notice that none of those mandatory items are pieces of equipment necessary to conduct communications on. amateur. radio.

K3XR and WB5DW like this.
  13. AC0GT

Well, MY radio is also lacking in many features that could exclude me from some contests, that doesn't get me upset about not being able to participate unless or until I buy new gear.

I'm a bit boggled on why anyone is upset, I'd expect some enthusiasm for seeing a new kind of contest develop, people showing interest in contesting, people showing creativity in something new even if it doesn't interest them. I can understand how the level of enthusiasm could vary wildly but still I'd expect at least generally positive comments coming from someone proposing something new. At worst I'd expect disinterest, not expressing outrage or showing hatred.

Claiming that using internet access to "gamify" an Amateur radio contest is removing the radio is a straw man. Saying that such games excludes people because they lack new hardware might be sour grapes, by lacking the funds, time, or space for a new radio then it must not be fun, useful, or "real" radio sounds like sour grapes.

If you don't like it then don't participate. If not enough participate then the "games" might not even happen. Would this even impact anyone that complains? Any more than any other contest? It sounds like the goal is to keep the contesting short, or spread activity over time, which in either case should lower cases of contest bands getting crowded from participants.

I would think we'd need more specifics to know if there's anything to get upset about. It might not catch on. If not enough people find interest in it now then I expect someone will come up with a similar idea later, and even then we'd need specifics to see any harm or value.

KE5CT likes this.
  14. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was referring to CQ100 that N2EY previously mentioned. From what I've read, it's a "virtual ionosphere", using the internet for other stations that subscribe to it to hear and work you. No RF is involved. It's a simulated, virtual radio front panel on your computer screen. Although they require a license to participate, why? Doesn't that negate the Federal license requirement for point-to-point communications between 'radios' with an RF transmitter? Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I prefer a "natural ionosphere", and contacting people using RF, so I can hear that way and respond in kind.

I understand that it's an alternate substitute for hams that have *no provisions at all* for an antenna (condo's, etc). However, if you do have some room to erect something, why resort to internet "ham radio"? And pay a subscription for it? I'm sorry, but even in a single-family home in an antenna restricted HOA, there's always a way to get *on the air*.

Even with the Remote Ham Radio subscriptions out there, you're remoting via the internet, but still involving RF to contact others from the remote station.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
  15. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

:pNow that's REALLY a stretch;). Technically, it's still internally confined to the shack.

WB5DW likes this.