ad: ProAudio-1

ARRL Drops Testing Fee to $5 For Those Under 18

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AJ6BC, Oct 20, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have nothing against giving young people a break on the pricing if it in some way encourages more participation in the hobby.

The thing that puzzles me is why young folks who can afford designer sneakers and cell phones can't afford the fees associated with the license application.

You might say they are not paying for those items their parents are and as long as the young people are contributing to the family welfare like chores around the house that's all good. The parents can also be the source of the licensing application fee.

TA1TRJ, AA3C, KE0GXN and 1 other person like this.
  2. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd like to see the League give tests for free to those 18 and under. Well worth doing a Cost Benefit Analysis at HQ.

TA1TRJ, KJ7RRV and W1YW like this.
  3. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd second that but for all joining AND renewals!

TA1TRJ likes this.
  4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Laurel VEC has testing for everyone for free, has always been that way. Your local VE team can join Laurel, and be able to administer free exams, if that is important to people.

AE8F, TA1TRJ, N2EY and 5 others like this.
  5. KO4TXV

KO4TXV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AWESOME! I have been trying to get our local club to do radio events at schools to promote the hobby to younger folks. The fee reduction would certainly go hand-in-hand with a school event as well as be a bit more enticing for parents.

TA1TRJ and N2EY like this.
  6. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree.

Problem is that kind of realistic factual logic does not fit the League’s narrative that we must have more youth in the hobby in order to survive.

So, you can now consider that box checked. ;)

TA1TRJ and K3XR like this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

And when can we expect a break for older folks on fixed incomes so they can help the hobby survive? Why the discrimination?

TA1TRJ likes this.
  8. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Meanwhile, Laurel VEC has been doing tests for free since 1984.

AE8F, TA1TRJ, KB9MWR and 2 others like this.
  9. W4TRK

W4TRK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This tells me that Laurel testing along with the application fee has been killing the ARRLs testing sessions for youngsters.

TA1TRJ and N3RYB like this.
  10. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don’t think it’s necessarily discrimination. The League for whatever paranoid reasons feel the need to check the youth box and this is just one of those attempts.

The current powers that be do not see the same value in helping an older person or for that matter trying to engage the older demographic of society that make up the majority of this hobby and always have.

It is what it is.

Hopefully one day some folks with some sense will take the helm.

TA1TRJ likes this.
  11. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

Why the break for juveniles and not the geriatrics?

See the cover of the current issue of QST magazine as to why.

P.S. - I'm old enough to recall Mid-Century Modern design when it was new.

12. AA3C

AA3C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny how older folks think that just because the lived to be "old" that they need stuff for cheap or free. You could have kept working.

And, yes, I'm older and retired but don't ask for free stuff because I planned my financial life accordingly.

AE8F and N2EY like this.
  13. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't ask for free stuff either I don't need it. Why should free stuff be offered to all young people even if they don't need it and not to those in the older population who may be in need of it?

14. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're concerned about the fee, Laurel VEC offers seniors free testing.

Of course, everyone else gets free testing also.

Why pay for testing if you don't have to?

N2EY and W4TRK like this.
  15. W4EMB

W4EMB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

To soon to mention they fund this by raising the cost of the magazine? Last month, I counted from the back cover..... 21 pages in a row of nothing but adds...... (those adds are not free) ..... Im about to start my own radio league.

KE0GXN and W4TRK like this.