ad: CQMM-1

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. September 13, 2023.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Sep 12, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. September 13, 2023.

KG4BFR, KG7HVR, K2WRD and 16 others like this.
  2. AD8BU

AD8BU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not holding my breath for this revival attempt, but it sure would be nice if they did come back, even if it was in the form from 15-20 years ago.

I have two of the few surviving franchise locations near me, but their stock is very limited.

KG4BFR, NN6A, KI5UXW and 1 other person like this.
  3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Would prefer Lafayette would come back instead. They had better gear.

NN6A, K4DDT, KD8OCT and 25 others like this.
  4. KB8SKK

KB8SKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking forward to RS making a come back, heck my old 202 still works.
    They would kill it w/5-600watt HF amp, haha

Just hope it's not a bunch of flea market type crap.
    my .02

KT5OT, N3HOE and KI5UXW like this.
  5. PD0JBV

PD0JBV Ham Member QRZ Page

What amazes me is that all those old(er) so-called CB-10 rigs still do what they were made for after all these years. I have owned/used all three major brands. But all those oldies are still doing it. I have now switched to Chinese perfect hardware. I expect a lot (more) from it.

KD5LMX, KB8SKK and (deleted member) like this.
  6. PD0JBV

PD0JBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio Shack: my fav HiFi brand when i was 19-years old. (60+ now) ...

N5UMJ, N6SPP and K1AFI like this.
  7. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

This 'revival' is backed by an El Salvadoran concern? Pass.

Even if RS returned tomorrow in their 1975 iteration, how many would give up Amazon, DX Engineering, Gigaparts, Ham Radio Outlet, etc. for the very limited amount of amateur stuff that RS carried? Like TG&Y or FW Woolworth's, it's great nostalgia and little else.

K9SF, W7XLR, KB5IAV and 4 others like this.
  8. ON3MDR

ON3MDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hoping they make it across the big puddle, I recall the magic of the shops...besides that...there are almost no more shops (brick ones) that carry electronics let alone parts...

KB5IAV likes this.
  9. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

RS was kind of nice because they had electronic components in store Caps, resistors other electronics odds and ends as well. I have a DX engineering here in the Reno Sparks area but they do not carry those types of items. We used to have an electronics store that carried vast amounts of electronic hardware, Test equipment and even some amateur radio items but they closed.

KD0XL, KG5JJ, W7XLR and 9 others like this.
  10. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

"Caps, resistors other electronics odds and ends as well."

Gigaparts has lots of that in their Huntsville Store, because they also cater to the Maker folks what build with Arduinos and PIs.

N5VWN and WK4DS like this.
  11. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

Therein lies the problem. One can make a living selling new and consignment amateur radio gear to hams, but the days of working on one's own recently made gear in the past 20+ years is increasingly problematic.

Radio Shack sold parts, but that aspect of the business isn't a viable retailing model any more.

KB5IAV and K0PG like this.
  12. VE2TH

VE2TH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

About amateur radio , here in Canada, You have to dig very deep to find parts or equipment.

Now The only store is Radio World in Toronto.-

For the parts of all kind we have the USA
    we are lucky, we can find almost anything.

We are also badlucky, about the currency exchange, shipping fees very high, and slow service, plus we have to pay
    5% federal sales taxes, plus 9.75% Provincial sales taxes.

Radio Shack is gone for a long time, and the name changed for "La Source" .-

72 Mike VE2TH
    The QRP'er for 60 years in 2023.-

K2CMC likes this.
  13. NN6A

NN6A Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio Shack was great for picking up "one" or "a few" things--A roll of tape, a few PL259s, solder, etc. I had one right down the street, where I was always buying a push-up pole, LEDs, zip cord etc. Very convenient, mostly because it was nearby.

G1TZC, WH6LU, KB5IAV and 2 others like this.
  14. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Was a affiliate Radio Shack in upstate NY, Cannot remember the one horse town for the life of me but I was driving back to Albany from western PA in the early 2k. It had a store front on the end of a barn style building. For some strange reason I was inclined to go in. Really crappy store but it had a back portion and it was chock full of used electronics. Found a non working IC202 and then behind it in a box was a weird amp with a cloth front. A Selmer, British amp. Had a High School friend who went on to be a studio musician on steel guitar in Nashville. I knew he was into such gear so I bought it. Couple of hundred bucks total. Kid sold it to me so I hope I didn't get him in trouble as after I shipped it to my buddy he said they were worth huge money. Last I heard he still has it.
    Should have gone back there but never did and soon forgot where it was. Assume some of you NY hicks might know.;)

N3HOE likes this.
  15. NU4R

NU4R Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure hope the revised RS sells CB radios, cell phones and great toys! Maybe "medical" marijuana too!

And, how in the world could "over the horizon radar" NOT be intentional?!? The Soviet Woodpecker has been missed. By no ham!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    NN6A, N3HOE and AB4BF like this.