ad: TinyPaddle-1

13 Colonies

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by K5UYN, Jun 27, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K5UYN

K5UYN Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone else starting to get excited about 13 Colonies coming up- my favorite every year! The best cards and biggest pile-ups of the year! Thanks in advance to all the operators who make this possible!!! From K5UYN !!!

AD4ZU, KI5YFL, N4FZ and 5 others like this.
  2. KD2JBC

KD2JBC Ham Member QRZ Page

I look forward to this event every year!

AD4ZU likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Last year was the first time I ever really made it a priority to work and "paper QSL confirm" all 13 colonies plus the bonus stations, and get the certificate. It was a LOT of fun! And yes the pileups were huge for some of the stations - especially the guy in France on CW.

I'll work a few this year but probably not push it as hard as I did last time

Dave
    W7UUU

AD4ZU and N4FZ like this.
  4. NZ4X

NZ4X Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Swapmeet Lead QRZ Page

I look forward to the 13 Colonies contest every year! I did all QRP/20 meters SSB two years ago. Last year I did 100W/20 meters SSB. Not sure what I will do this year. Maybe all bands.

N4FZ likes this.
  5. WB4BIN

WB4BIN Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to like it, and even have a clean sweep or two. But pileups aren't really my thing. And it seems to be getting worse each year. So now, I'll work a few stations if they aren't too busy. It's still fun.

N4FZ likes this.
  6. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I too like the 13 colonies, and being in the NorthEast makes getting some of the states quite difficult! It seems that most apparently favor the higher bands and don't frequent 40 as much as I would like them to!

I also like the Lewis and Clark event. Clean sweep this year. And RTE 66, that one is fun too.

AD4ZU, KB1ZSW, N4FZ and 1 other person like this.
  7. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

It's been 5 years and I'm still waiting for my paper card. They admitted to not making any AFTER the event so I can only assume it was a fraud to steal the return postage. I'm disappointed QRZ still allows these crooks to post on this website.

8. WR2E

I dunno Jon, seems a harsh accusation.

Did you actually contact someone there and ask them what is going on?

How do you know your application (or your certificate return) was not lost in the mail? , etc...

@KU2US

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
    KF5RRF and K3XR like this.
  9. W4JFA

W4JFA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm doing CW from NC, K2J. I will do some 160 & 80. I'll also do some 20m. I'm not a dx-pedition kind of op but will give it 100%.
    CU on the air.

W0AZ, K5ACO and WR2E like this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Send me the pertinent QSO information and I'll fashion up a QSL card for you - postage free!

It won't be legitimate, but you'll get your card ... and maybe even stop bellyaching about it.

K5UYN, KJ4BFH, K5ACO and 2 others like this.
  11. WR2E

I hope so! I'll be listening for ya! Thanks for your effort in advance!

12. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Seriously?

That's right out of a Dilbert cartoon.... "Building a better life through stealing SASE postage, one "Forever" stamp at a time"

Dave
    W7UUU

KL5IA and WR2E like this.
  13. K5UYN

14. K5UYN

Last year I got a clean sweep and every QSL card for the 1st time! Hope to repeat!!

15. AD4DQ

AD4DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I have participated in this even the past 3 years and received my certificates. I look forward to this event.
    This is a fun hunting down the stations to complete your log.

KJ4BFH likes this.