ad: Radclub22-1

ARRL Proposal to Give Technicians More Operating Privileges

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Apr 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Absolutely nothing. In fact, I love working CW, especially on 40m, and I likely work it much faster and more proficiently than most of the hams who were required to pass the code test. But I learned it and work it because I want to, not because I was forced to by some crotchety old hams who felt I should have to do it just because they had to.

Those same hams are the vocal ones here again, who absolutely refuse to alter the exams, alter the licenses, talk down to the No-Code Technicians, etc., and it's a real shame. Whether folks agree or not, the No-Code Tech was probably the single best thing to ever happen to ham radio, with the elimination of the Morse Code requirement for all licenses a close 2nd. And when the FCC approves this proposal (which they will, by the way), you guys are going to love the increase in HF operators too..assuming of course that you guys ever get over the fact that it passed. ;) Here we are almost 15 years later, and people still can't get over the fact that the Morse Code requirement was eliminated. So sad...

WU8Y and W6FYK like this.
  2. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked Wa Mt Co on 10 ssb today.

3. KG5DWS

KG5DWS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Let them earn it like the rest of us Did. no one has ever gave me any thing always had to earn it.

4. W6FYK

IMG_3147.PNG
    Laws and Rules change.

Try it, you might like it.

Or not.

W1YW, AC0GT and N3FAA like this.
  5. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I try to get on nightwatch with NA4L and w3gyg when I can hear him.

6. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the rules change every so often.

Here's a question I've asked several times now in the many threads on this topic and I don't recall anyone answering it directly, just how long does everyone expect the FCC to maintain CW only privileges below 25 MHz for Technicians?

Perhaps I could phrase that another way, how does CW only segments of HF for Technicians meet the basis and purpose of Part 97? I'll assume this matched well with the basis and purpose when there was a requirement to know Morse code to gain access to these frequencies. I'd like to hear a case to maintain the status quo other than some bellyaching about how Technician license holders did not "earn" this change in the rules.

W1YW, WU8Y, N3FAA and 1 other person like this.
  7. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll answer it directly. Not very long. In fact, it's going to change with the passage of this proposal by the FCC. Maybe the "I had to do it so you should too" hams will get over it eventually. Maybe they won't. Who really cares? If they want to be miserable, fine by me. But times they are a changin'. :)

W6FYK, AC0GT and K7JEM like this.
  8. W6FYK

Right now i can talk on 1 AM frequency only.

Only.

9. W6FYK

Maybe they will give us a small tiny slice of 20 phone and same on 160.

hahaha
    j/k

N3FAA likes this.
  10. KE9OL

KE9OL Ham Member QRZ Page

HERE'S AN IDEA...GRANDFATHER IN ADVANCED CLASS HOLDERS WITH EXTRA PRIVILEGES. WHEN I TOOK THE TEST BACK IN THE 1980'S IT WAS WIDELY KNOWN THAT THE ADVANCED CLASS WRITTEN TEST WAS MORE TECHNICALLY DIFFICULT THAN THE EXTRA WRITTEN. THE EXTRA CHALLENGE WAS THE CW WPM COPY RATE. SINCE THE CW REQUIREMENT IS GONE NOW AND WE'VE ALREADY TAKEN A MORE DIFFICULT WRITTEN TEST HOW ABOUT LETTING US IN?

WQ4G, W9RAC, KQ4MM and 1 other person like this.
  11. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Or.... just take the current Extra test like everyone else.

N2EY, N8ZI and NN4RH like this.
  12. KE9OL

DID YOU EVEN READ THE LAST SENTENCE?

13. KE9OL

THE ORIGINAL POST IS ABOUT GIVING SOMETHING AWAY FOR FREE. MY REPLY IS ABOUT GIVING SOME THING ALREADY EARNED TO THOSE DESERVING. I SUPPOSE I COULD JUST TAKE A REDUNDANT TEST AND PAY ANOTHER FEE. :mad:

WQ4G likes this.
  14. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

no.

N2EY likes this.
  15. W9RAC

W9RAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I can not agree with your reasoning. Considering all of us who are on HF now, or who have ever been have had the experiences you have outlined. We know what is required, we faced the dilemmas of the current time .

Do you not think before all the reasons given by you as to why they fail to make a effort to upgrade that other reasons of a specific time did not exist? The same argument can be made with every invention that allows communications of any type from every point in the past. The computer, the cell phone, Family Radio Service, and on and on. For this hobby to continue in the high tech environment it will require desire. I'm not sure to what your reluctance is requiring effort on the part of the candidate? Do you think these potential candidates have never listened to a shortwave radio? Your logic is....they will not make a effort to earn HF privileges because they do not know what they are missing....... but if given a little HF they will put forth effort to earn more?

Bryan the barriers you speak of at this point evedenly is the requiring a additional test, to General Class status since the CW portion has been removed along with the progression of licensing. So why do we not remove them all? Why can we not open the bands up without any effort being required? Why drag it out further? Why pretend any longer? One class of license, if any, and no testing. Why not? Those who would prefer to continue with a skilled hobby can continue to migrate to the CW areas. I believe Bryan this can be your solution. Not sure if I'll hear you on the CW bands or not, but otherwise look luck. 73 Rich