ad: portazero-1

ARRL Proposal to Give Technicians More Operating Privileges

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Apr 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, we disagree.

The huge volume of questions in the Tech pool was specifically designed to make simple memorization relatively ineffective. That doesn't mean you have Ph.D. EE level knowledge. What it means is that you have the ability to learn more experientially.

That means 'by doing'.

So why do we prepare Techs for 'NOW YOU'RE TALKIN' --when we give them a band--a single band-- where they can't practically talk to anyone? So much for 'learning by doing'.....

That just indicates we--non-Techs-- either want to discourage them, or we haven't kept up with the times. Either and both are real turn-offs.

The main thing that is missing in this series of responses (generally) is actual feedback from Techs . Go speak to them. I have. My comments are distillations and summaries of what they tell me. I seek then out. For example, I talked to about 30 Techs at Hamcation a few weeks ago.

We should be listening.

Chip W1YW

K8XG likes this.
  2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You're doing a good thing.

Curious. What would you say is the typical age distribution of these groups?

W1YW likes this.
  3. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last year I gave an 8 hour Technician Training course for a class of 19, then was a VE for testing. 3 we're YL's.
    They were all "Preppers" for a SHTF scenario and had no interest in making worldwide contacts on HF.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Pretty much covers all age groups most times - I have teens to folks in their 60s and everything in between usually.

I'll make a point to note the age divisions at my next class on June 1

Dave
    W7UUU

N8ZI likes this.
  5. N8ZI

The naysayers really should turn on their rigs and check the cluster more often. 10M has been open into EU, AF and moving into SA now.

WQ4G and W7UUU like this.
  6. N5TZH

N5TZH Ham Member QRZ Page

looks like to me its give me something for nothing
    don't want to study for it
    don't want to learn anything for it
    I just want it for nothing

N8ZI likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

So, let's put the matter to the test.

Why don't you log the callsigns of all the Techs you hear on SSB during this 'opening'?

Jot down their freqs. Jot down the (voluminous) Dxs' frequencies....

Are they missing out on something, or are they not enabled to be part of it? And what exactly, is there to be part of?

What do YOU hear right now on 10m?

EU is not open on 10M right now. AF is not open on 10M right now.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the last hour of DX SPOTS on 10m.
    NO DX OPENINGS SHOWN from continental US spotters...

Sorry Techs! Another DEAD AFTERNOON on 10m SSB :-(

Perhaps N8ZI meant that you should move to EUROPE for the 10m openings...to EUROPE? In any case, from a Tech standpoint, N8ZI's statement is demonstrated as false. There is no support for his statement with regard to Tech's (who are all in the US...)

It sure ain't happening in the continental US....

upload_2019-4-14_15-16-19.png

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  9. N8ZI

That is America's society in 2019.
    Every other country I know of has to work for goals and achievements. Nothing is given for free...... except in America.
    The typical "Have and Have Not's". Overachiever's and Underachiever's. The Have Not's will whine, complain, become a burden and throw temper tantrums until they get it for free.
    Look at all the Ham's who used CW as an excuse not to upgrade. Even after they dropped the code requirement, many of those same Operators did not upgrade, they just found a new excuse.

N5TZH likes this.
  10. K6VOX

K6VOX Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless you're on the westcoast.....

N8ZI, W7UUU and W1YW like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah,

There's a focused ducting for 10m DX straight and only to Michigan!

Time for all Techs to move to Michigan!

12. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

No kidding! Here in WA we very very seldom see openings on 10.

Dave
    W7UUU

13. K6VOX

O.O

W1YW likes this.
  14. K6VOX

I keep hoping to hear a small island or even VK land but....nope....

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

N8ZI has got some 'splaining to do meethinks.....

Why say the band is open to US for DX when its not???