ad: HamHats-1

When HF is Quiet

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Dec 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

ICQ Podcast Episode 283

In this episode, Martin M1MRB is joined by Chris Howard M0TCH, Martin Rothwell M0SGL, Dan Romanchik KB6NU, Ed Durrant DD5LP and Frank Howell K4FMH to discuss the latest Amateur / Ham Radio news. Colin M6BOY rounds up the news in brief and this episode’s feature is When HF is Quiet.

ICQ AMATEUR/HAM RADIO PODCAST DONORS

We would like to thank David Cripps (G7IDB) and Bill Seward (KG4SAQ) along with our monthly and annual subscription donors for keeping the podcast advert free. To donate, please visit - http://www.icqpodcast.com/donate

News stories include:-
    • National Security Risks with Amateur Radio Violations
    • The CWops Award 2019 for advancing the art of CW
    • 1940s Radio Times now online
    • WSJT-X 2.0 Full Release Now Available
    • "Suspicious" Post Office Package Was Ham Radio Equipment
    • Worked All Postcodes
    • 2018 QST Antenna Design Competition Winners Announced
    • Scouts at AJ2019 Awaiting Amateur Radio Call
    • Logbook of The World Tops 1 Billion QSO Records
    • New Amateur Radio Packet Gear for International Space Station
    The ICQPODCAST can be downloaded from http://www.icqpodcast.com

upload_2018-12-23_20-19-8.png

AD6FR likes this.
  2. SE3X

SE3X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When HF is quiet on SSB .. I go for CW or FT8 .. Adapt and Overcome :)

N4KRX, NE7TS, K2MOB and 15 others like this.
  3. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With decent antennas HF is never ( entirely ) quiet. There is always a band open to somewhere.

There is never a lack of propagation. But it might be different than we are accustomed to. So we adapt to conditions. And we overcome our own limitations.

PD0JBV, VU2USA, KT4RK and 19 others like this.
  4. SE3X

SE3X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And when everything, yes everything, goes south .. Then we go for D-Star ..

KN4KEY, M3VPI, AD6FR and 3 others like this.
  5. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

BAND CONDX SPRAY.jpg

PRAY FOR BETTER BAND CONDX.jpg
    santas christmas globe.gif
    BIG BIRD WAVE.gif

W6DDU, KF5LWR, WF2N and 6 others like this.
  6. WA6AM

WA6AM Ham Member QRZ Page

When HF is quiet, call CQ. Done. Now go make some noise.

VU2USA, W6DDU, W3MT and 9 others like this.
  7. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the term the tail wagging the Dog say any thing. I mean You look at the propagation map, it shows bands are closed, so you slumber off and watch TV all night. START TRANSMITTING be the one to open the bands. When you walk down to your fishing hole and on your way you walk by a fisherman walking back to his truck, you ask how is the fishing, he responds there not biting today, do you turn around with your tail between your legs and walk back to your truck and go home?, not if you are a fisherman.
    I mean you just gotta give it a try, after all getting your line wet is half the fun. The same is true if you are a true Amateur Radio Operator. NEVER GIVE UP, we are out there just waiting to bite.

KC2YME, W3MT, KN4PWL and 13 others like this.
  8. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When HF is quiet on SSB - I am on JS8 (FT8 with QSO), or Olivia.

DX Plenty on JS8...Olivia domestic

C U on Bands, NN2X, TOM

N5EQY, N4KRX, K0WJ and 3 others like this.
  9. KC5TJS

KC5TJS Ham Member QRZ Page

I noticed today the band report said poor conditions on 80/40 meters but I heard several qso's across the 40 meter band. If it says it's dead...talk anyway. I don't think that thing is always right. If you put your call out and no one comes back...try again in a few and try up or down the band somewhere else.

PD0JBV, W3MT, M3VPI and 11 others like this.
  10. W7OUN

W7OUN Ham Member QRZ Page

same thing here..... band conditions said "poor" for 20 meters; I worked numerous stations across the US and one Japan station ON MY MOBILE !!! Band was a little less active and a bit more noisy, but both 40 and 20 worked well just the same.

PD0JBV, N4KRX, W3MT and 6 others like this.
  11. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

Try VHF/UHF for a change. You may get a big surprise and find some stations there that you had never thought were possible from your QTH. 73 de John - G0WXU.

12. WA7IIC

WA7IIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree about being the one that might open a band up. Transmit regularly and listen.

KN4PWL and WN1MB like this.
  13. AE7YD

AE7YD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I get spots on RBN from South California to Canada, to north on the east coast (Pennsylvania) and down to Kansas, Texas but rarely anybody answer my CQ. Granted propagation is poor
    BUT if RBN shows that I am received in most part of the USA it cannot be only the propagation. Is nobody listening or nobody wants to come back on a 12 wpm CQ?
    When I succeed to have a QSO I get reports from 339 to 599 with 5 to 10w. Conclusion CW on
    HF works. Is everybody snoozing in front of the TV?

N4KRX, VK5GG, G3SEA and 1 other person like this.
  14. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

...I'll meet you on D-Star - when Hell freezes over and elephants perform brain surgery.

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  15. N8GBU

N8GBU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have always wondered why with even predictions of a bad band day; the bands will come alive on Field Day and most major contests no matter what was predicted. Oh yes, I can't forget FT8. Could it be the bands are considered poor because of the lack of trying because of a prediction? I used to look at those reports and say why bother? Then I started doing some casual contesting, along came JT65 and FT8 etc and finding myself making a contact when the bands were supposed to be dead. The qso may not be DX but yet it but it's one more qso I wouldn't have had, had I not tried.

N4KRX and (deleted member) like this.