ad: Mountaingoat-1

ARRL Petitions FCC to include Parity Act wording in Part 97

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5UJ, Dec 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Only when he drank excessively. I guess it's 5pm your time...

2. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, he drank excessively most of the time: But he didn't drink the HOA Jackboot Coolaid, that's for sure!

73 DE W8LV Bill

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think we need to look where this came from, and who it came from; their positions in 2019; and how to clean house before it burns itself down.

MO; yours may differ.

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Public need or convenience drives legislation. There has been no demonstrated public need or convenience for any change.

5. WA7PRC

Government intervention is not needed for any change.

6. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

This is STILL not a Thing, even though you call it a Thing.

73 DE W8LV Bill

7. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

WA7PRC Said:
    "Government Intervention is not needed for any change.."

Oh. Is that right, WA7PRC? I hope that you will call the Government First Thing Monday Morning and let them know. I am CERTAIN that the Government will be relieved to know that they are not needed for change... I mean really: They have been having a Hell of a time lately, and we're lucky that they have even had the time to MINT change, you know...like dollars and quarters! They have been especially busy lately in places like Afghanistan and Syria, so I am CERTAIN that they will be relieved to know this. And I want to THANK you ahead if time for making this call, plus I am certain that everyone else will agree to disagree, or maybe not with this heavy statement: The Government makes Change: Quarters, dimes, nickles, and still even Pennies! But that's the only change that we expect them to make, from here now on!

Did you know that it costs the Government more than a penny to make each penny? It's True. So Canada wised up to this, and finally quit making pennys entirely! And I'll bet that Trudeau can explain this to Trump, even without a calculator. Of Course, that doesn't mean that Trump will necessarily LISTEN. And SOMEONE has got to tell him that this is NOT a Canadian trick, Bryan, that It's actually True! So when you call the Government Bryan, Please tell them that BESIDES not bring needed for Change, they can stop making pennies, becaue we don't need excessive pocket change anymore, okay? Wow, talk about establishing the lack of a need, Bryan! There's your REAL Lack of a Need, right there! We've got things like Debit Cards and even Micropay and PayPal, so we don't really have a need for the pennys anymore. Please let them know this on Monday when you call, and then get back to us.

A Penny for your Thoughts, Bryan!

73 DE W8LV Bill

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  8. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes!

So here's The former Amateur Radio Parity Test(t..m.), now updated to V1.3 (It was time). I invite you all to take it and let us know how you scored! (On THE TEST, Silly!) It really helps one to see where they stand on the antenna issue:
    The test is entirely voluntary and with the exception of hams whom reside in the State of Washington, it's entirely open book.

The Amateur Radio Parity Test (t.m.)
    V1.3:

1) Would it be:

A) Better

Or

B) Worse

To have more hams listening at home, who would then be aware of and able to help immediately to establish communications in a Mass Disaster?

2) At any given time of day or night, are the MAJORITY of hams in the World:

A) At home, if they are not working.

B) Camping.

C) On their Honeymoon, during Field Day Weekend.

D) Sleeping in their car, since the Honeymoon has been long over,
    with a mobile rig turned on to monitor the local Skywarn Net.

3) During a Tornado or Hurricane, do most Hams:

A) Shelter in place in their homes.

B) Go Camping.

C) Stay in the Subway with their Baofeng HT until the Crisis is over.

D) Get in their cars and operate mobile until the event is well past their location, and then go inside.

E) Skip the whole wedding and Honeymoon thing, and just Elope during the crisis.

4) Referring back to Question #1 Now (Yes, it's Okay to look.) When propagation is poor,
    is it better to have:

A) More Hams able to immediately get on the air.

Or

B) Less Hams with the ability to get on the air, merely because the Busybody Clowns Next Door don't like the look of antennas.

5) During the recent hurricanes in Puerto Rico and Florida did the people there want:

A) Emergency and Health and Welfare messages handled by as quickly as possible.

B) Have hams demonstrate a “need” to have antennas before The Commission.

6) Which ONE of these words appear

in the ARRL Petition FCC to incorporate Parity Act Provisions Into the Part 97 Rules:

Preemption

Preemption

Preemption

7) Should neighbors have special rights to deny amateur radio operators and anyone else that they don't like, freedom of expression on their own property?

A) Sure... Why do we need that Pesky Constitution or Bill of Rights anyway, because antennas are Ugly to me,
    So There!

B) No. I've actually READ The Federalist Papers, The Constitution, AND The Bill of Rights, and understand that protecting the Minority FROM the Majority is ESSENTIAL to a Republic.

8) The 80 Metre Santa Net is:

A) A cover operation for a Numbers Station Net that is actually run by Dr. Evil.

B) Much more convenient to monitor from your RESIDENCE as opposed to Mobile.

9) You are a teenager interested In ham radio and would like to take the first step by becoming an SWL while you study for your ticket, but are living in an HOA Tyranny through no fault of your own, because that's where
    your parents live. You look across the street, and notice that your neighbor has left his garage door up.

Do you:

A) Report the neighbour to the HOA Jackboots,
    and just listen to shortwave by the wholly inadequate whip antenna.

Or

B) Not inform on the neighbour,
    and run some Magnet Wire
    to a pine tree in your backyard.

10) You are on the way to school, and are met by The School Bully, who explains that it will be a lot easier on you to just skip lunch and finance HIS lunch today. And everyday.

Do you:

A) Give him your lunch money

Or

B) Whump him on the side of his formerly Thick Skull in True David and Goliath Style with an old Hardcover Edition of the ARRL Antenna Book that you thoughtfully soaked in linseed oil
    a couple of "Missed Lunches" ago?

C) Explain to him that you really have a need to eat lunch everyday.

D) B and C

SUPER BONUS QUESTION:

11) If the ARRL proposal becomes part of Part 97, soon to be Former Senator Nelson will:

A) Get his ticket, become active from his residence during Florida weather emergencies and participate in the Santa Net.

B) Wish that he hadn't screwed hams over in hindsight, because even 1% of the 1% can squeeze you through a tight election when your HOA Masters can't.

C) B but not A

///

73 DE W8LV BILL

WN1MB likes this.
  9. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip,

You have a well thought out post there:
    Free of ad hominem attacks and I appreciate the opposing debate between us, Sir.

But, you can't take EVERY petition, ARPA, etc., and nix it. Otherwise, you go nowhere. None will be PERFECT legislation. ALL will be subject to interpretation and review. That's why we have a Judicial System. And Attorneys. (And MY Attorney? Well, he has my back! Never once did he INSIST that I look him up, or hire him. And he helped me with an Insurance Company that rhymes with "Oppressive." Whom you might want to avoid... Just saying!)

Cutting off our antennas is akin to cutting off our air. And merely doing it for aesthetic reasons, well, that's just not reasonable, and the HOA's know it. Look... I'm not PC here: I want to get along with my neighbours and such. But I'm not going to appease anybody. Or be told what I can or cannot do on land that I own. And that's just how it is. And the Convenant "system" used for many many years on Deeds as Jim Crow in Disguise? I'm not putting up with that, either. What's more: Who is going to Enforce the that contract? The party(s) are DEAD. And what's FINALLY more: You and I in the USA have what they call "clear titles." (hopefully you do, anyway) But I call these "Magic Titles." Because the only way that they could be legitimate, is to trace them back to the ORIGINAL Landowner. So where's the legitimacy of a Title that goes back to land that was "appropriated" from The Indians? They are the only ones in my estimation who could ever claim a Clear Title to it. And miss your taxes once and you will see how much you own it. Again, just saying...

Back to the Business at Hand:

OTARD was something that also the HOA's opposed. Yet we have OTARD. We have dishes. Which the neighbors and the HOA have to now shut the Hell up about: It's been a Done Deal for years now. And on Ham Antennas? They need shut down. Completely. They are way out of their realm here. Do they want to give up power? Of Course Not! And that's PRECISELY why we MUST speak to Power. And Question Authority when it is UNREASONABLE. And, in this case? Nonsense that is CLEARLY in conflict with BOTH Free Expression and Free Speech. And so just like Tamminy Hall and other Political Dinosaurs? They've got to go.

As far as donors PULLING SUPPORT from the ARRL? We"'ve always had some folks do that since 1914! Over issues like the Elimination of Spark. And later? Incentive Licencing...STILL A Sore Spot for some, over half a Century later! But the ARRL and Amateur Radio? They will still go on. Someday a kid who grew up on Mars will get his Tech license, and Radio for him will be just as eye opening to the Universe as it was for you and me when we were young.

Even as cash strapped as I am? I am thinking about at least going back to Diamond Support for the ARRL. I did this in the past, but had to stop when I found myself in Dire Financial Straits. And while I STILL have Financial Icebergs floating all around my little ship and my feet are wet? Well, I will cut back further "somewhere else" in the budget and do so next renewal time.

SUPPORT THE ARRL

73 DE W8LV Bill

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    WU8Y and WB2KSP like this.
  10. WB2KSP

WB2KSP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm with you Bill. I've been a member of the league since I got my license in the early to mid 1970's. Late 2017 I became a life member because I happen to like the league and have been there quite a few times in the past year or so. It's a very good organizartion with some very good people working there. Happy hollidays and merry new year to all.

Dave - WB2KSP

WU8Y and W8LV like this.
  11. WA7PRC

Yep. Hams have no need or requirement to be on the air. In fact, ARRL's "support" says ham radio IS meeting the public need and convenience (with no indication that more is needed).
    You have no authority to "test" anyone. But, I get that you want to talk down to anyone who is not in lock step with you.

12. WA7PRC

Your comparison compares apples to oranges.

OTARD leveled the playing field between free and subscription TV providers. Millions of users benefited.
    What ARRL wants benefits only them (and, according to them, about 10K hams).

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear Bill,

I and others will work diligently to make sure that Part 97 amateur radio is not affected by this flawed petition, which severely constrains Part 97's intent and effectiveness if implemented.

Wishing you the best in the holidays.

Chip W1YW

14. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OTARD was the result of a law that was passed. There is no law behind the ARRL petition. Completely different situation.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave,

I imagine we are all supporters of the ARRL.

I need to point out that there is no 'league'. The American Radio Relay League changed its name to : ARRL the national association of amateur radio. You may not be aware of this.

The 'ARRL' , in December 2018 submitted a petition. You should consider that it is probable that the petition will be withdrawn in 2019, because the (mostly new) Directors, acting by and on the members' behalf, will see the flaws and inaccuracies that went into said petition.

That doesn't mean that being contrary to the petition in any way is against the ARRL. I am a big supporter of the ARRL.

I hope that provides some clarity.

Wishing you the best of holidays.

Chip W1YW
    LM ARRL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.