ad: AbAuRe-1

Shutoff of WWV-WWVH: two days left to the end of the subscription

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IZ2EWV, Sep 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Google translate wouldn't come up with something THAT misleading.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Where in his post does he mention he was using Google Translate? I must have missed it.

Dave
    W7UUU

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Because there's better newer technology available (see above), I made sure to NOT sign the "petition".

G6YZC likes this.
  4. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

You brought it up by asking how my Italian is. This has nothing to do with translation (which Google translate can do quite well) or command of a language, it had everything to do with a very misleading title.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

So why not just PM the original poster and ask HIM? Seems the most direct way to get the answers you seek

Dave
    W7UUU

KU4X likes this.
  6. K5VOU

K5VOU Ham Member QRZ Page

As good as google translate.

7. W7UUU

Guessing the OP used his "actual English skills" and didn't rely on Google. He does not indicate anywhere in his post he used Google.

How are your "actual Italian skills" if you don't use Google Translate?

Apples and oranges.

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  8. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tock Tock Tock tock the time is 0000 hours UTC....been so long since I heard it I almost forgot what it sounds like..... used to zero beat it on my R4A when dx'ing the 60 meter tropical broadcast band

9. K7YVO

K7YVO Ham Member QRZ Page

Is WWVB included in the shutdown??

In 2011, NIST estimated the number of radio clocks and wristwatches equipped with a WWVB receiver at over 50 million.

de K7YVO.com

VE7JMR likes this.
  10. N4UN

N4UN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's still the quickest check on propagation I know of. No computer needed. No other stations needed.
    If you can hear WWVH mid-continent or East Coast on 15 Mhz, DX is usually possible.
    Just cycle through memories with 2.5, 5 , 10 , 15, and 20 for a quick check on the bands.
    Gives you an idea of MUF. Hearing is better than visual representation for this quick check.
    Especially if you are operating portable.
    Just my 2 cents.

73, Dick, N4UN

KQ7D, WZ7U, K0WJ and 1 other person like this.
  11. W7UUU

Yup. Gonna be REALLY SAD to see WWV go. Talk about "end of an era"

Dave
    W7UUU

12. NK4K

NK4K Ham Member QRZ Page

When everybody's "atomic" wall clocks and "atomic" wrist watches are 10 minutes off their cell phone time, the x, y, z, and millennia will howl! Miss one flight to that six figure, do nothing job... that'll do it, too.

In answer to a question several back: from what I've read, yup, WWVB is a goner, too.

KC6ZKT likes this.
  13. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They're already there. The call sign is BPM. Easily heard here on the West Coast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BPM_(time_service)

KC6ZKT and K5VU like this.
  14. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

...outside of DX clusters and RBN. Otherwise, WWV(H) are great for checking propagation to/from only CO and HI. If you want 24/7/365 frequency & time anywhere (worldwide), use GPS. :)

15. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "For time and frequency, there are alternatives to WWV(H), such as GPS"

WHAT do you use to verify your 'sources' are correct? Is this another 'hope and pray' scenario, akin to *trust* but don't verify? "It's okay, the green light on the front panel says so."