ad: Mountaingoat-1

WWV Discontinuing Operations?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AD7I, Aug 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. NU4R

NU4R Ham Member QRZ Page

As I was walking down the street one day, a man walked up to me and asked me, what the time was that was on my watch.I said..

Does anybody know what time it is? Does anybody really care?

W1WCN, KG5JST, N6ALT and 1 other person like this.
  2. NU4R

NU4R Ham Member QRZ Page

:) Too darn funny!

NL7W likes this.
  3. KG6UTS

KG6UTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps there is a proposal to base stratum-1 timing on the square of hours employees spend in diversity training.

KR3DX likes this.
  4. AK2M

AK2M Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. The basic definition of a stratum-1 time server is that it be directly linked (not over a network path) to a reliable source of UTC time such as GPS, WWV, or CDMA transmissions. The more redundancy in the system, the better. Also, the ability to receive timing from WWV is much more widespread than receiving GPS timing.

There are other uses for the station (as others have said), but this is the most easily understood by your average citizen and their representatives.

N5PZJ, AG5DB and N5AF like this.
  5. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be WWVH.

NU4R, AF7EC and AK2M like this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

7. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

25 or 6 to 4.

W1WCN, N6ALT, NU4R and 2 others like this.
  8. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6 million ? Government bloat... kill it.
    Hams could do it for $200K/year, probably less....

N0CEL likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

..and they should stay doing that and not doing private enterprise invention.:)

N5PZJ, N0TZU and NL7W like this.
  10. N0CEL

N0CEL Ham Member QRZ Page

I was going to make the "Propagation Check" comment myself...it comes in handy in a pinch. The Gov't needs to worry about "bigger" things, and just leave this (well enough) alone!

KM4WRQ likes this.
  11. N8QIO

N8QIO Ham Member QRZ Page

A pretty lady looked at me and said he diamond watch had stopped cold dead-another great song lyric from Chicago

N6ALT and NU4R like this.
  12. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Where's my DYMO labeller?

13. N6MGN

N6MGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Just stop funding NPR and call it good.

K0PV/SK2023, AE7EE, WW3JR and 3 others like this.
  14. WJ3RI

WJ3RI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does not get more official than the Budget submission:

"NIST will discontinue the dissemination of the U.S. time and frequency via the NIST radio stations in Hawaii and Ft. Collins, CO. These radio stations transmit signals that are used to synchronize consumer electronic products like wall clocks, clock radios and wristwatches, and may be used in other applications like appliances, cameras, and irrigation controllers."

-- (NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF STANDARDS AND TECHNOLOGY FISCAL YEAR 2019 BUDGET SUBMISSION TO CONGRESS, Page: NIST 12)
    http://www.osec.doc.gov/bmi/budget/FY19CBJ/NIST_and_NTIS_FY2019_President's_Budget_for_508_comp.pdf

KX4O likes this.
  15. AF7EC

AF7EC Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, this stinks. I must be a weirdo because I sometimes just like tuning into 10 or 15 MHz and listening to WWV drone on, enjoying the sound of the propagation changing. WWV is a wonderful memory for me from my teen years. I will be very sad if/when it goes. :(

K0PV/SK2023, KC1VY, K7SKE and 4 others like this.