ad: Sussex-1

New Video Series: X Days Off Grid with OH8STN

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Aug 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

From watching this, it looks like Julian OH8STN is launching another new exciting video series on self-sufficient rugged pedestrian HF operation.
    Arctic snow and ice, to the summer beach, to the lush green forest.
    He thrives anywhere.
    Julian's like "Survivor Man", but with HF radio.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    EA3GNH, KI7ZRI, MW1CFN and 1 other person like this.
  3. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Julian is not only showing what can be done if you are adventurous, but also how you can take radio to the public. Only by being out there will the general public experience amateur radio, and despite our 'weirdo' appearances, there is plenty of public interest.

And with ever-increasing RFI, this kind of field operation really is the kind of thing operators - and manufacturers - should now be focusing on a lot more.

Keep the videos coming, Julian. I don't really watch anybody else's!

KI7ZRI and KQ6XA like this.
  4. KQ6XA

I agree, Julian is reaching and attracting new generations of hams, in a way that ARRL and old codgers can only dream of.

OH8STN, MW1CFN and KI7ZRI like this.
  5. KI7ZRI

KI7ZRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Totally agree! Julian and Gil (The Radio Prepper), and a couple other YouTube channels, are the reason I decided to get my ticket. I have a lot to learn but their adventures are very inspirational and I owe them a lot for introducing me to this wonderful life. 73!

OH8STN, MW1CFN and KQ6XA like this.
  6. KQ6XA

Hi Don,

Congratulations on your new ham ticket!
    I look forward to working you on the air some time.
    Let's try 5371.5 kHz USB voice in the evening around sunset?

-Bonnie KQ6XA

OH8STN and KI7ZRI like this.
  7. KI7ZRI

KI7ZRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, Bonnie!

I’d love to but need time to figure out how to get a temporary antenna setup. Once I’m set I’ll see if you have time. Thanks again!!

OH8STN and KQ6XA like this.
  8. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Julian is going to be operating digital during his trip using FT8Call. Pretty excited to be able to try it out with him. He regularly reaches North America from 65 degrees N with it, so hopefully we can spot him :)

KQ6XA and KI7ZRI like this.
  9. K5EBP

K5EBP Ham Member QRZ Page

Julian's insight and testing are awesome. Now I know how to evaluate other authors.

One of the comments on a previous OH8STN article connected me to low cost portable and fold-able solar panels.

Using that mental filter, I chose a battery fabricator that is a ham, and makes radio-quiet LiFePO4 batteries that are 30AH, deliver 40.5A bursts for SSB for my KW 480HX, have two sets of leads so they can be charging while powering a transceiver, and easily portable. I never thought I would find those specs!

I bought the Genasun controller due to Julian's detailed analysis.

I have recommended looking at Julian's youtube site now on two different local nets.

Cheers, Julian!!

OH8STN, KQ6XA and KI7ZRI like this.
  10. KQ6XA

11. OH8STN

You are entirely too kind to me Bonnie.
    So I made it back from 66°North, and just published the Ffirst full episode. It wasn't really a trip about survival, I mean it was basically just a hiking and camping trip. What was different about this trip was taking the entire Field Station off grid for 3 days and 2 nights, having the ability to keep it charged in the field while operating basically out of a backpack, and having it all come together flawlessly.
    Traditionally this is been the domain of qrp only operators, but capability should no longer be a restriction for portability. Having an all-mode, QRO station (even though I used 20w) was somehow a relief if nothing else. The hf radio and Raspberry Pi were a very small part of my loadout, so longer more difficult trips are in this series future.

Here the first full episode if interested
    Julian oh8stn

KQ6XA likes this.
  12. OH8STN

Wow, I should check in more often. It's nice to have a battery Builder or to build a better yourself, because the commercial options aren't really keeping up with the needs of radio operators. The noise, the low current draw specs, the weight,.. I'm happy you found something useful from my efforts.
    Julian oh8stn

K5EBP likes this.
  13. OH8STN

Once again I should say you are all too kind. There's a Funny Story related to what you've written here. While shooting the first episode for the series, I sat outside my tent enjoying a morning cup of coffee in my shorts. I honestly thought there was no one out there but the reindeers and myself. So there I was listening to the radio enjoying my coffee only to turn around to see a nice young hiker standing there as surprised to see me as I was to see her. After cleaning up the coffee I spat out, she told me there was a group of high school students coming up to the summit on a nature trip. They were going to learn about berries of the Finnish forest. Long story short, I put my trousers on and met the rest of the group as they made it to their laavu about 250 meters from my camp. Ultimately their teacher asked if I would give a demonstration about amateur radio to these young people, which I did.
    You are absolutely right. We need to get out there and show the public what we're doing, and more importantly we need to inspire young people to get involved with this magnificent Hobby.
    A few of those young people were quite amazed about powering my camp with solar power. A few others asked if I was "texting" with my friends. Anyway, inspiring young people something which is certainly lacking in the community right now.
    Julian oh8stn