ad: AbAuRe-1

13 COLONIES SPECIAL EVENT

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KU2US, May 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

40m is going to be the money band to work all 13 from MI. 80m would be my second choice.

That low height on the tri-bander isn't going to help you on 20m, especially with the way the band seems to be behaving today. Lots of stations have been S7 or better one second, then in the noise the next.

N5TWB likes this.
  2. N5TWB

N5TWB Ham Member QRZ Page

WM3PEN hasn't been spotted in over an hour on DXWatch - must be time for a steak sandwich...:cool:

K4YPS likes this.
  3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have done really well from the West Coast!!!
    Starting at midday yesterday, I have all but K2H in the log, and still need the WM3PEN as well as the GB13COL (not much hope on that one)
    Most have been on 20M SSB, a few on CW and one on 40M.
    Some were KERSMASH into the West Coast. Especially K2M, he was pinning the meter!!! Some were way down in the noise (maybe they were running G5RVs and 100W)
    I heard K2H weakly (bad prop 20 not open yet), and called a few times but didn't get thru. Well, still several days left so I am not in a panic.
    I was most pleased with CW, got thru on the 1st call on all those!!!!
    Watching DX Summit now, that is the KEY to nailing them!!! I see WM3PEN is on right now, but I am at the Radio Hospital, 10 Miles from the big old house. Forget working them MOBILE from the West Coast!!!

Right now I am building a WORK AROUND to a catasphrophic Failure in my Drake L7 Killer watt. The power switch is frozen on!! So to power the amp on and off I had to unplug it from the wall. So the work around is to build a Switchbox to switch on and off the AC Power to the unit. Too much work to tear the L7 all apart and replace the switch

4. N8SAN

N8SAN Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking that! Luckily the band improved and the Mosley went to work!
    I knocked out A, E, I, F, J in 20 min and logged WM3PEN though a pileup, all barefoot. So I'm pretty happy.
    Only need D and M now. Neither of which I see on currently.

Hes on now if you're monitoring this thread. 14.240

Has anyone seen/heard this station?

5. WA6MHZ

I am STOKED!!! Just worked K2H for #13 and then WM3PEN for the Bonus!!!
    Ready to send in for my cert! I have last years cert on my wall!! Will get a frame for this one when it comes in!

WJ4U likes this.
  6. WA6MHZ

Easy for East Coast, notta PRAYER for West Coast!!
    saw them spotted on PSK31, notta peep!

7. N8SAN

OH man congrats!!!!
    This has a been a real fun event! My buddy just down the street is working on it all CW!
    How long does it take to get the cert?!

I'm assuming you mean the GB13COL??

8. WA6MHZ

http://www.dxsummit.fi/#/?dx_calls=GB13COL
    very few spots from Stateside. Almost all EU and a VU station. Most of US has no copy on him it seems,

9. N8SAN

OH interesting. Well, I think I'll wait till the whole thing is over just on the off chance I can work that station.

10. N8SAN

GB13COL is being spotted on 7.189 but he's REALLY light so you have the standard 7.200 crew, you know who I mean, complaining at how light he is and ruining it for the rest of us.

11. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been trying for a CW sweep but a few don't seem to be on cw yet so I worked a few on ssb.

Still missing E and gb13col.

12. AC5RM

AC5RM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've managed to get a Clean Sweep for the fifth year- every year I've been licensed- but the GB13COL Bonus is eluding me this year. Too light for me to hear. This has been the most difficult year for me, a large amount of the stations are incredibly low into my station. Don't know if it's propagation, or if my hex is slightly off of them (Can't turn it due to rotor problems right now), but usually all of them are loud on me. Not this year. I've had to work to hear several of them.

13. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Definitely conditions. I believe that plasma cloud mentioned in another post might be good for 6 mtrs but it seems to be playing hell with HF bands.

14. N8SAN

This is gonna seem like a real "newbie" question. But what is considered a "clean sweep?"

15. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Working all of them - all 13 colonies

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.