ad: LZQSLprint-1

How To Install & Test The Yaesu YF-122S SSB Filter For The Yaesu Ft-857D

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4CPR, May 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N4CPR

N4CPR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Today I show you how to make a great radio better. I will show you how to install the Yaesu YF-122S SSB Filter for the Yaesu Ft-857D.

Enjoy,

Mike

N4CPR

KA8UGB, N9UO and N7TZZ like this.
  2. K1TWH

K1TWH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mike, there is no need to remove the two speaker screws on the top of the radio. 9-2=7 that's where Yaesu got 7.

W7LDG, KX4CC and IW3ILM like this.
  3. N4CPR

Thank you for watching. A friend of mine sent me an email about that so I made an update on the info box of the youtube video. I was looking for 7 screws on the top but I only counted 5 not thinking that the speaker was connected. Glad it did not fall out. I guess the heat held the foam in place and I added this filter to both of my yaesu 857d and I had no problem,go figure.

4. LU1EW

LU1EW Ham Member QRZ Page

You should adjust the carrier points transmit/receive with the new filter. You´ll see great improvement! 73´s

5. PU2TBK

PU2TBK Ham Member QRZ Page

É fácil encontrar um filtro dissolvido 3k ? Aqui no Brasil não encontro, eu gostaria de comprar um filtro desse de 3k

6. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The CW filter make the biggest difference. With the filters in place, this is a very satisfactory rig and once set up properly with A computer interface and program like FLdigi it is an effortless communications tool. I find it more fun Than some of more expensive rigs. The filters compensate for older design and make it a great gobox radio.

N1ESH and KA1VT like this.
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure this is Amateur Radio News ("Newsworthy articles about Amateur Radio.")? It seems to me it would properly be posted in either...
    If it was posted there, it might be seen by more who are interested.

W8LGZ likes this.
  8. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was kind of thinking the same thing. The "Amateur Radio News" section has drifted away from actual news and more toward of an assortment of how-to videos, how-not-to videos, unboxing type videos, pissing contests over competing commercial products, opinion troll pieces that appear intended only to provoke fights . . . Everything Except actual amateur radio news.

N1ESH, W8LGZ and WA7PRC like this.
  9. N4CPR

Thank you for watching and your comment. I am not a CW operator but I love this radio and that is why I own two of them. When I added the filter to this radio yesterday I stepped out of the room and went into the kitchen to get some ice tea and I left the radio on 40 meters while two operators were speaking and I thought I was listening to my Kenwood TS-590SG that I use to own. It filled the room with volume like there was a live conversation going on.

10. N4CPR

Eu comprei meu filtro de gigaparts.com

11. WA7PRC

Since this thread is here, I'll contribute...

Yaesu #YF-122S:
    BW = 2.3 KHz (-6 dB)
    BW = 4.7 KHz (-60 dB)
    Shape Factor = 4.7:2.3 = 2:1
    Cost = $159

InRad #717:
    BW = 2.387 kHz (-6dB)
    BW = 3.8 kHz (-60dB)
    Shape Factor = 3.8/2.387 = 1.6:1
    Cost = $160

The InRad #717 has steeper "skirts" and will reject QRM better. InRad has a wide selection of other filters: http://www.inrad.net/home.php?cat=19

12. KO4LZ

KO4LZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video - thanks!.

One word of caution -- it is mechanically possible to install the optional filters in an FT-857D upside down. Doesn't damage anything, but filter will not work in this orientation. Ask me how I know :)

W3IG and K8TDN like this.
  13. W4CKA

W4CKA Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you elaborate on this? I had been thinking of getting a filter for quite some time, and due to the post up the page here by wa7prc, decided to go with the 717 inrad.

LU1EW likes this.
  14. W7LDG

W7LDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, Good video. I might suggest that when you are removing the cover to do anything you should have a anti static wrist band on. It takes 40 volts to blow a board and if you feel a static shook it is 1000 volts and if you see the spark it is 5000 volts so you can blow a board and not even know it. Carry on Lane/N7ZXP

15. WA7PRC

Proper ESD prevention requires maintaining the worker, work, work tools, and work surface at the same potential (preferably ground).

W7LDG likes this.