ad: ProAudio-1

TEN-TEC Announcement January 4, 2016

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI4JPL, Jan 4, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For the military at least all contracts for tactical equipment have to be from US manufacturers. Foreign companies often get around this by opening a subsidiary in the US with a 60/40 ownership deal, I have seen this before. Like you said in your earlier post, it has to be justifiable but it is done more often than people think.

KK5R likes this.
  2. K9ZW

K9ZW QRZ Lifetime Member #262 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Question @ N8WFF and KI4JPL

Will TenTec/Dishtronix be represented/exhibiting at Hamcation next month?

Steve K9ZW

3. W5PNY

W5PNY Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't believe that others haven't noticed yet...

On the new tentec site (http://www.tentec.com)
    a new page went up today with a link to new
    firmware for the Orion II -- 3.033xe. This
    firmware has the S-Meter table in it that 3.033xd
    has, but includes the option (which is now the default)
    to tie the S-Meter to the AGC like 3.029 did. The Orion I
    had this with it's last firmware release months (years, now it
    seems) ago. I've been waiting for this ever since since
    I can't stand not having the S-Meter tied to the AGC.
    It's an option to have it the either way in the menus.
    I've been on 3.029 waiting for this ever since 3.033xd
    came out, not having been able to stand the S-Meter
    not showing the AGC knee.

Thanks Mike and John (John HAS to have been in on this)!!!!!!

For me at least, this is a super first product on the website
    of the new ownership! I love it! What a relief! Great work!

73 --
    Harry, W5PNY

N3AWS likes this.
  4. WK3B

WK3B Ham Member QRZ Page

I know the feeling. Surely. I wish you all the best.

5. GM1FLQ

GM1FLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

RX400/RCU400A........UK is set to purchase 9 Boeing P8 maritime patrol aircraft. Worth following up?

6. WK3B

WK3B Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you saying customer input does not matter??

7. KI4JPL

KI4JPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, no to hamcation.

73, KI4JPL
    JOhn Henry

8. KI4JPL

Of course customer support matters, but every minute I am on this reflector and others answering the same question dozens of times, is dozens of moments I'm not finishing other stuff.
    So, it is up to you, the customer, if you want to ask more questions, I am more than happy to answer.
    If you want to ask the same question that has been answered multiple times, then I will still be happy to answer.

73, KI4JPL
    John Henry

K8DHH likes this.
  9. KI4JPL

As another has noted, TEN-TEC has released a new firmware update for the Orion II 566. (No, it will not work on the Orion 565, there is a similar much older release for it on the rkrdesignsllc website.

Changes include:

2015-12-22 Version V3.033xe
    ==============================================
    For this release, it is necessary to do the full Master Reset/RAM Clear sequence after the
    firmware is updated.
    1. Download the new installer update file, which will force a Master Reset.
    2. Power Down radio.
    3. Perform a Master Reset.
    4. Power Down radio.
    5. Perform a RAM Clear.
    6. Power Down radio.
    7. Perform a Master Reset.
    8. Power Down radio.
    9. Power Up radio, and ready to use.

Changes include:
    These changes apply to the Main Rx only. The Sub Rx was not changed.

1-Added selection of S-Meter input to Other Menu. Selection is AGC Level or RF Signal.
    Default is AGC Level. AGC Level means the S-meter will not go lower than the AGC
    Threshold/Knee; RF Signal means that the S-Meter indicates the signal strength at the antenna,
    regardless of current AGC threshold or action. Selection is retained over power cycles.

2-S-meter reading is compensated for ATTN setting, Preamp setting, signal reduction caused by
    the analog hardware AGC with strong (> S-9+35) signals, and the RF Gain control.

3-S-meter is calibrated so S-9 is 50 uV across 50 Ohms at the antenna terminals.

4-S-meter calibration routine updated to correct for a missing step in the table.

5-S-meter ballistics follow the Hang Time and Decay Rate of currently selected AGC profile.

Other Changes include:
    6-Forced NOTCH to always be OFF after a power cycle. This fixed a problem with the DSP processors
    crashing if both NOTCH and NB were ON during a power cycle.

7-Fixed serial command *BS+1
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

73, KI4JPL
    John Henry
    That is what we would rather spend our time on, making new stuff for y'all.....

W1BR, KA0HCP, K8DHH and 1 other person like this.
  10. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

OH My! Seventeen pages!

I am amazed that this slugfest is still going on. It does say one thing though, and that is Ten Tec generates a lot of interest, and there really is no such thing as bad publicity.

I think I've read enough of this though. Keep on bashing each other until someone gets banned...

73 Gary

11. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Fights end sooner without the 'jeering'...

K8DHH likes this.
  12. NR7N

NR7N Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, Thanks, John. That is kind of what I thought as my 565 already has the AGC/RF S-Meter upgrade. It looks like the 565 upgrade is from May 2015, which I already have.
    As others have told you, the simple fact that this upgrade appeared on the temporary web site is really a step forward for all Ten-Tec owners. It, in real terms, shows that things are moving forward.

Lance, NR7N

KK5R and K8DHH like this.
  13. KS9Q

KS9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

If customer input didn't matter, Mike and John would not have devoted the considerable time needed to address the many questions and comments that have come up in this thread. I think what John is saying is that the endless answering and re-answering of the same questions, against a backdrop of Monday quarterbacking and doomsday prophecies (some of which is bordering on being combative), is bogging them down when they have work to do. This is a practical example of why you can't tie up a technician for hours of uncompensated time while there are radios to be repaired, for the sake of anyone who still has their boxers in a wad over any charges for phone support. You can talk about things and you can do things but both take time and only one gets the job done (unless you're getting paid for talking). I think Mike and John have been more than thorough in their responses so maybe it's time to just digest what they've already said (repeatedly) and let them work.

Mike, John, you might be doing yourselves a favor to let the thread ride for a few days at a time, review it periodically, then post relevant responses to new questions/comments and DSP the rest.

Jim K. - KS9Q

14. NZ2Z

NZ2Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

15. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a problem with a Ten Tec amplifier. About 6 months before they closed the doors in TN, I called the Tech about 3 times and they talked to me at least 10 min on one occasion. Would the call be worth the charge? I would say so, it assisted me in fixing the amp. Saved me labor and horrendous shipping charges. Could I have gotten that telephone attention with the other companies? Probably not.

K8ZFJ, KK5R and K8DHH like this.