ad: MyersEng-1

Ham receives ISRO Mars Orbiter

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. M0EYT

M0EYT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,

Here is the I/Q recording of the MOM carrier signal as sent to my consultant W1YW: http://speedy.sh/XuXPa/MOM-50K-iq-2292954698Hz-corrected-20140926-164227.wav

Once you have downloaded this, get hold of 'SpectraVue' http://www.rfspace.com/RFSPACE/SpectraVue.html install, select input as 'wav' file, and point to the above locally saved file. Select 'play in loop' or similar option, then press F12 or the 'start' button in the GUI.

You can then see the exact signal received here using the 3ft / 1M dish.

regards,

Paul M0EYT.

2. K4WGE

K4WGE Ham Member QRZ Page

Going to give that a try.

I'm glad the bully didn't get his way to have the thread shut down. What a piece of work.

3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Could be Pioneer 6 come back to haunt. Same freq. Even more sensational.

If a DX Cluster spot is posted for P5A on 14.2 MHz within minutes there will be dozens of true believers heard tuning up there too.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  4. K4WGE

[​IMG]

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Must be fish Friday...

6. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

OK I had this thought. Surely the person claiming reception is not the only amateur radio op in the world with similar equipment. I know in science confirmation of an experiment lies in it being duplicated by others who obtain the same results. Has anyone else (running similar equipment) made this reception?
    And Paul, why have you steadfastly refused to comment/clarify that 'disclaimer' on the web site? Do you not realize it gives cause to question everything ABOUT and ON the site? I am asking you, directly and plainly, explain that disclaimer. Unless you can do so satisfactorily I can't see any reason for anyone to take you seriously. No disrespect, just saying.

7. M0EYT

Hi,

"why have you steadfastly refused to comment/clarify that 'disclaimer' on the web site" - the simple explanation is for YOU to go and read the UK Wireless Telegraphy act, and then interpret that in the context of providing satellite downlink frequency information. The WT act concerns 'interception' of communications, but does not stipulate that simply monitoring the presence of a carrier signal and reporting its origin / frequency etc contravenes the act, so the words are simply a 'tongue in cheek' reference to just that ;-)

You are welcome to question "e
    verything ABOUT and ON the site" but if you do some basic research you will learn that I am not the only person on the planet with this hobby...

As you rightly say, there are other ops with similar equipment, indeed another ham in Germany also has a 1M antenna and similar LNA etc to me, and he is also receiving the signal from MOM orbiter (despite it being impossible / planted by the NSA / or by the same people that did the 'apollo' show etc blah blah).

I did suggest waaaay back in the thread that those who doubt should step away from hiding behind their keyboards and go and actually give it a go, but then again I suppose its easier to troll forums than put some effort into actually doing something technical? Funny but I thought the entire point of amateur radio was to improve ones self
    competence in technical matters - maybe 'experts' in this thread should go and think about that.

That's it from me, I'm tired of answering the pointless 'noise' from here, I'd rather go and listen to 'non existent' downlinks etc.

Paul M0EYT.

8. M3KXZ

M3KXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Paul, how about tripling the size of the mesh and folding it into a fractal formation about 20cm across.... that'll give even better results ;)

9. DF2MZ

DF2MZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi folks,

just to add my two pence. I am the German amateur Paul was referring to. I have a similar setup with a 1m dish. Different from Paul I am using a linear feed, giving me 3 dB less SNR. Nevertheless MOM is clearly detectable with up to 8 dB SNR in a 0.38 Hz RBW and 10 times averaging.
    Doppler correction and antenna pointing data come from HORIZONS. I am not making claims. I am doing this for fun and I am sharing my observations. I will be happy if you find it interesting. You are of course free not to believe it. I won't bother to come up with detailed scientific proof unless you are willing to pay my professional hourly rate. Everbody is invited to do a simple link budget calculation to find out if this is possible.

Best regards
    Edgar
    DF2MZ

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  10. K4WGE

Does ISRO send QSL cards?

11. K4WGE

Could you explicate on that idea? It seems you are starting with a mesh dish and folding it into a fractal configuration. I can't quite visualize the steps necessary. Does "tripling the size" refer to the dish diameter or the size of the openings in the mesh? Thanks so much.

12. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting thread.

IIRC, Chip was told long ago by college professors that the design for antennas that he proposed would not work.

Now he makes a very nice living manufacturing those very antennas and selling them to companies and governments with deep pockets.

I think Chip knows a little about antennas and consider his take on this to have merit.

I know I will catch some flak for siding with Chip, but....oh, well.

13. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a poke at Chip. Chip's company makes and sells fractal antennas.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The truth shall $et you free;-)

Reviewing proofs on one fractal antenna review, and finishing the submission on another.

Nothing to do with this thread, so I suggest we can it.

Chip W1YW

15. M0EYT

MOM S-Band downlink from 26/09/14

mom_260914.jpg

Attached FFT showing MOM's S-Band downlink from 26th September 2014. Doppler corrected from JPL Horizons data for Earth/Mars relative motion. Doppler shift shown is due to MOM orbit around Mars.

regards,

Paul M0EYT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.