ad: wmr-1

Outbound International Reply Coupons Discontinued

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC9LGW, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N8NU

N8NU Ham Member QRZ Page

One thought comes to mind: It is legal to simply import IRCs to the US from countries where they are still sold? Perhaps the retailers that serve us could add imported IRCs to the product line of imported radios, antennas and accessories.

I also hope nobody tries to start a scam over the shipping of IRCs without actually buying any, as some guy named Ponzi did, LOL.

2. AA6RE

AA6RE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My local PO has not covered IRCs for many years. I had to buy them from the online USPS site, which was fine as I often put in an order for international stamps etc at the same time.

The Green stamp methiod has some issues. Stolen mail and the resulting confusion and delay cause more issues.

The ideal siutation would be that the ARRL open up LOTW for all HAMS for a nominal yearly fee that would allow full access to LOTW. READ ONLY if you don't pay.

The LOTW system would need more cacpacity ($$) and software. My guess is that for $20/year 75,000 additional International users would sign up for LOTW.

Paypal allows money to be transferred easily. (I recently found out paypal will even issue 1099K's for people paid for contract work by international firms

3. N3KIP

N3KIP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can't see why it wouldn't be legal to buy IRCs from another country. Trouble is, the US is not the only country that no longer sells them. I hear that you can no longer get them in the UK either.

4. W4WN

W4WN Ham Member QRZ Page

And next to go is the greenstamp, there was an article in the local paper recently saying congress wants to do away with the dollar bill and replace it with a coin to save costs. I imagine with the Fed printing the stuff like newspaper we'll be sending a "Benjamin" instead of a couple "Washingtons" soon anyway...

5. W3TLN

W3TLN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The USPS is a private corporation and is not run by the US government. If it was a government entity it would have no problems. It would just run a deficit as other government agencies do.

6. NT2C

NT2C Ham Member QRZ Page

In keeping with their efforts to streamline, and also in compliance with truth in advertising laws, the USPS should drop that superfluous second "S". It hasn't been a "service" for decades now.

Use a money order? Really? Let's see... first you need to find someplace that sells international money orders, then you have to figure out what currency it needs to be in and what value, then pay for it. International money orders are not cheap. Expect to pay at least a couple of bucks each for them (and USPS money orders are not good outside the USA) so this will at least double, if not triple, the costs involved. Yes, I suppose to a government bureaucrat doubling or tripling the cost and increasing the complexity of the process would be a "viable alternative".

7. AB7MC

AB7MC Ham Member QRZ Page

Not a member anymore

That is why I do not renew my membership. I get nothing from this organization. When you ask for help they will tell you to pay first.:)

8. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

in fact, for the past year or so you could order them from usps.com. i did exactly that a few months ago.

9. AA4HP

AA4HP Ham Member QRZ Page

Another example of how our country is shrinking its way to greatness.

10. K2BEW

K2BEW Guest

USPS stands for the United States Post Office, I think you are mixing it up with UPS.

11. AB1QP

AB1QP Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? An organization that delivers to virtually every occupied building in the country 6 days a week for about a buck isn't a service? Really?

12. AB1QP

I don't get the comparison of LOTW and QSL cards. Yes, as a confirming instrument for awards, they serve the same purposes. But as a sentimental, historic, commemorative, decorative, or creative item, its an apples to aliens comparison.

13. NT2C

NT2C Ham Member QRZ Page

You've never lived anywhere rural, have you?

USPS does not deliver to "virtually every occupied building in the country", far from it.

14. AB1QP

Well, I am not exactly urban, or even suburban, but I grant that there are surely places more remote than here.

Still, the only way I could get a Domino pizza would be if they mailed it to me:)

15. K4RDE

K4RDE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Post office is NOT part of the US government..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.