ad: TinyPaddle-1

PR: HRD Press Release

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WQ1C

WQ1C Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used both DM780 and FLDIGI; FLDIGI is better by far for my needs in the digital realm.

2. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am always amazed at how cheap some ham's really are wanting something for nothing. Even if logging programs alone were $100 for the very best some would still be using a $20 POS that has no support to speak of. The logging program is undoubtedly one of the must have mainstays in today's shack and I think if you want a really good program you should buy it. Most are based on content and how they handle it as it pertains to logging and awards tracking either for yourself of for any of several offered. A good one will be a logger only, not the Swiss army knife all rolled into one deal. The main thing is the level of support you can expect from your logger company from none to 12 hrs a day phone and email with fixes at any time. Updates that as soon as one is needed for anything and major updates at a very reasonable cost.

I agree FLdigi , MMTTY, DIGPAN. JT65 modes are some of the very best and MMTTY is what I use because of true FSK I do and have supported all of these programs as everyone should. These people do a lot of work to keep these up and need support and those who use them for free you can judge yourselves.

How does your current logger compare?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  3. N0NZG

N0NZG Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Ubuntu and it would be great to see a Linux version of HRD.

4. W8BFG

W8BFG Guest

5. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, we started talking with Simon in Feburary. :)

6. N4SRQ

N4SRQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I actually think this news is refreshing. New minds, new coders - fewer bugs, timely fixes. Personally, I don't mind paying for a good product. In our hobby, we shell out huge bucks for hardware; why not put a few bucks on the software that can help make things more managable. HRD is a great program, but we all know it has its blemishes. It would be great to have those bugs fixed and perhaps see some innovative enhancements. Everything costs money. Coders have families as well. Give them a fair chance to show what they can do. If you are not satisfied - move on to something else - just quit all the whining - it is unmanly, you know:)

7. KD8MJR

KD8MJR Ham Member QRZ Page

If you look at this from a Historical view of whats happened when Freeware goes to Paid, it rarely turns out good. Most of the stuff that I have used over the years that went in that direction ended up being scrapped in a year or so because the free mentality associated with that software is really hard to break. Unfortunetly for the users, the first thing the new owners do is make the freeware versions lose some of it's functionality or shut it down altogether.

I have no problem paying some money (again), but my gut feeling is that these guys have no idea what they are getting into. I spent 10 years writing code on just three major projects and I know that when the code gets big unless it's really well commented (which never happens) it's pretty hard for any new guys to just pick it up and start working. With one of my programs the new guy decided after a week that it was easier to start from scratch than to keep deciphering it and porting it over to a new prg. language. That was code that had a fairly good level of notations, flow charts and documentation.

8. VA3KAB

VA3KAB Ham Member QRZ Page

If you look at the press release on Simons site, http://www.hamradiodeluxe.com/News/HRDSold.aspx , he says "I will work closely with Michael's team as they take over the coding and make version 5.1 available."

So it seems to me Simon is doing all he can to make the transition smooth, and to ensure that the new release will be a success.

9. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess taking over the Pakratt and LogWindow(s) code without doc or help doesnt count, thats just for ham stuff though right?? LOL

I started writing code in 1975, got paid for writing code starting in 1979, wrote O/S code (PC-MOS, 80X86 assember) in the 80's and started doing digital ham code in the 90's and 2000's :).

Simon is a good coder and his way of implimenting things are very straightforward. :)

The secret is not what language you write it, but to understand the art of programming. I assume Simon is head and shoulders above any coder you worked with? Simon knows the art of programming and his code is not cryptic, like some others I have worked it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  10. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you taken a look at recent releases of CQRlog? You may need to add the Ubuntu Hams PPA to get the 1.2.1 version.

11. KA5LQJ

KA5LQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

MICRO$OFT HRD......

Well, Shoot!
    Sounds like one of Bill Grates on my last Nerve trick. I don't have scads of money
    for ham radio stuff. I was considering getting into HRD because it was FREE!. I'm no computer programmer, either, so writing a Linux version
    is definitely out for me.

It does seem that as long as HRD has been out, some of the good
    Linux programmers, who are hams, would jump on this, just to get
    their name famous. :) Sure, it would have to be "freeware" to get the most use and the authors no $$$ but, you would have a lot of grateful users who might buy other software of yours to run as well. Linux (all
    distros) have the potential to get into areas that no one has even dreamed about.

So, I'm going to forget going digital :( and stick to my key and mic,
    LOL!

GOD BLESS,

Don/KA5LQJ

12. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

With but few exceptions, you guys sure are bunch of cry-babies. You get something that's been gratis for years then bitch about it when it's not.

You've been riding this train for free, at best offering a donation of time or money, and now that you have to pay for the (upgraded) ride, you start flaming old and new.

Those of you that say you'll give up digi-modes, move to another O/S or application, nay-say and doom-speak; My advice to you is to adapt.

It's pointless to complain about the future, when you have no idea what it holds.

13. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Frank et all:

Interesting that myself, Mike and Randy have said 5.1 will be FREE, as will all previous versions of the software. And we bought the rights and the others didnt! ;)

Anyone who says that 5.1 is going to be pay is talking out of turn since we didnt send out memo's to them! LOL

The decision has already been made by us to make 5.1 free.

End of story :)

14. W9MB

W9MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Will you support all the functions of 5.1 and earlier into the future? Or will it be crippled at a later date? I would love to see HRD freshly supported and developed. Please make it reasonable to upgrade later on. And maybe integrate Digital Desktop Kam Plus functionality into it.

15. W9MB

W9MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Will you support all the functions of 5.1 and earlier into the future? Or will it be crippled at a later date? I would love to see HRD freshly supported and developed. Please make it reasonable to upgrade later on. And maybe integrate Digital Desktop Kam Plus functionality into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.