ad: MyersEng-1

'Get RadioActive' video

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

'Get RadioActive' video

Yesterday, we featured a rather impressive amateur radio promotional video. Well, here's another great video from the same stable.

Called 'Get RadioActive', this video shows Amateur Radio Field Day operation in the wee small hours of the night

You can view the video here:
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/june2008/get_radioactive.htm

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It just doesn't work for me--here's why:

1) It opens with a flying pig. Honestly; are YOU happy about playing up this metaphor? In the 60's you NEVER saw such associations FROM hams;
    2) Young people don't know what 'radio' is. To them it's WIRELESS;
    3) RadioActive sounds cute if you are on the 'inside', but to those outside ham radio it sounds...well.. weird and dangerous;
    4) The music may or not be used by permission. If it isn't, then why the heck are we advocating copyright infringement?;
    5) Bunch of white middle aged men. Friends, the world has white middle aged men in the minority. Can't we be a little more diverse in how we portray ourselves?;
    6) It was noisy and confusing. I didn't get what was going on.

Was this a 'feel good' piece for those on the inside--or a promo piece to non-hams?

Chip W1YW

3. N8NOE

N8NOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio Active!..

As with the First Little Movie, I thought this was GREAT!..
    I have passed it to a lot of NON-Ham Friends (Including the EX).
    And Being a Member of FPQRP, I like the Pig! Thought it was a great little Primer type video, but not much for RECRUITING I guess.
    Maybe the group making these will have a Video that leans more to getting new folks involved. As with all the complaints in the previous post, I think it's more a inside video, meaning you have to have some knowledge of what we do to understand it. Now the people I have sent this to at least know Me, so they have some idea, but lets say a person having ZERO knowledge will be out of the loop..
    (( Suggestion if the makers read this: Make a REAL Elementary, Very Basic version..))
    Other than my 2Cents, I think there Great stuff!..

Jeff-N8NOE
    FPQRP# 1031 (( http://fpqrp.net/ ))

4. W9TRG

W9TRG Ham Member QRZ Page

flying pigs

It 's amazing that no matter the subject , there is always "discussion"

5. N0IRS

N0IRS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks But Could Spell Trouble

Well I have to give the author of the video an A+ for taking the time in trying to visually promote the hobby, but a D- in not researching the legalities in releasing this on the internet. And a D - to QRZ for not checking to see if the author had paid for and received a "Mechanical" or "Synchronization" License to use the song "Radioactive" in the "Audio Visual" Ham Music Video Production.

The song "Radioactive" was written by Paul Rodgers for his new group "The Firm" and released by Atlantic Recording Corporation in 1985. Paul Rodgers was the former voice of the Super Group 'Bad Company". Paul Rodgers is the sole writer and owns all rights to the song released in any form.

A quick check with ASCAP, The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers as well as a search on http://www.harryfox.com/public/index.jsp reveals the song code of R03383. No license in any form has been granted to use this song in several years.

Even though the Song “Radioactive" may be in the public domain, virtually all sound recordings are under copyright protection until around the year 2067. One must receive Synchronization or "Synch" Rights to use copyright music. A synchronization or "synch" right involves the use of a recording of musical work in audio-visual form: for example as part of a motion picture, television program, commercial announcement, music video or other videotape. Often, the music is "synchronized" or recorded in timed relation with the visual images. Synchronization rights are licensed by the music publisher to the producer of the movie or program.

Legal Background: Records, cassettes, CD's, and other music recordings come under a general category called Sound Recordings or Phonorecords. The publication of Sheet Music placed a song or musical work under copyright protection. Sound recordings, however, were protected by a hodge-podge tangle of state laws, but were not covered under Federal copyright law. It was even determined that there was no federal criteria to actually "publish" a sound recording. This was fixed with the 1972 US copyright act which officially "published" all sound recordings in existence on February 15, 1972, and 75 years of copyright protection was enacted for essentially every sound recording created in 1972 or earlier. (1972 + 75 years = 2047). The Sony Bono Act of 1998 extended all copyright protection an additional 20 years. Therefore, the earliest that copyright protection will expire for any sounding recording in the USA is 2067 (2047 + 20 years = 2067).

So without boring you further, yes the legal use of the song as background music is in question unless the author of the video shows in writing that he or she has licensing permission from the author or recording company. Honest mistake, but this video as well as the "Phil Collins" video should be removed before those airing and hosting it get into a legal tangle.

My 10 cents. Yes discussion can sometimes be good and healthy.

6. KB9TNB

KB9TNB Ham Member QRZ Page

Get RadioActive

Thought it was a good way of showing the non ham what field day is. But to get picky about what it shows and dosen't show is a little over board.

As for me I like that pig.

7. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats to the club for trying to do something good. We all learn by trying. In many cases with the supercillious insecure Perry Mason wanna-be hams out here, groups like this learn to not try any more. I hope this is not the case.

My suggestion is that you need to find an 18 year old kid to do a video about AR. What is cool to me admittedly is usually 20 years old. But to the club, I like your video. I guess the flying pig represents the removal of the code requirement... ROFL! The video did have a "DEFCON Control" look that I think kids would like.

8. W5JON

W5JON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Video

On Feb. 17, 2005 on the topic of "QRZ'S Top 25 Topics" I wrote:

""And chances are Chip had an opposing view/opinion on all of them.
    And later on the same topic I wrote, that Chip:

1. Totally dominates any/every topic.
    2. Feel any view, other then his own is wrong.
    3. Argue about anything and everything.
    4. Suck any joy or pleasure out of joining into any QRZ "conversation", so they do not.
    5. Criticize any person or organization, that tries to improve Amateur radio, but does little or nothing himself.
    6. Feel his own ego, and self importance, should be shared with all, in about every third post,of every topic.
    7. Have the "same old act" day after day.""

I see in the past 3+ years, very little has changed.

John W5JON

9. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well John, I hope you think your post has added something.
    Maybe you thought this specific posting, your No. 39, would be the magic piece of information to cure what you believe is a problem.

Did you want to comment on the video? Chip and others have wisely pointed out the risk of using someone else's material without permission.

This video is also a well-produced presentation, even if I quibble with some of the areas featured and the duration they are afforded. I hope the producer realizes he puts it at risk if YouTube were to take action, as the site has done many, many times with clips that have provoked the copyright holders.

I recommend revising the piece to instead use public, unlicensed material, or go through the hoops for what little it may take to obtain a non-commercial permit to use the music now on there.

10. WA6ITF

WA6ITF Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. YouTube might just take it off -- only to have 100+ other folks put it back up -- as has been the case with almost everything that's been removed. The re-posters seem to be better at what they do than YouTube is at policing for copyright content. Besides which, they only respond quickly to formal legal requests from high power media conglomerates and take their sweet time when you or I complain.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Jon,

Nice to hear from you.
    I gather that you are unhappy with my presence here, and regret that it causes you concern. Of course, in the case of opinions, yours are always welcome as far as I am concerned.

Kindly appreciate that I do have serious concerns with your statements of alleged facts that project me in a malicious way, and may harm my reputation amongst my fellow ham colleagues. I wish to correct you on this and to give you the opportunity to either reqoute them as opinion, or expunge them--as QRZ amply allows with edits and deletes- because of their defamatory content.

"1. Totally dominates any/every topic."

Jon, even a simple perusal of the extant threads will evince the contrary. I invite others to explore this for themelves;

"2. Feel any view, other then his own is wrong."

I am not sure what your worse MEAN here; I suspect you mean that I am intolerant of dissenting opinions. Speaking from the FEELINGS of the indvidual, I assure you this is not the case;

"3. Argue about anything and everything"

Your global characterization of an alleged fact is contradicted by even a simle perusal of QRZ threads. Again; I invite others to se this is a malicious falsehood;

"4. Suck any joy or pleasure out of joining into any QRZ "conversation", so they do not."

Do not WHAT? This is not coherent Engish--it does not convey a thought. Can you re-write and clarify please?

"5. Criticize any person or organization, that tries to improve Amateur radio, but does little or nothing himself."

This is a two-parter. 'Any' implies every case. Actually, I do not recall criticizing anyone in the CONTEXT of 'improving ham radio'. As for me, well, I hold a Public Service Citation from the ARRL; have invented new technologies from ham radio; and use my rig weekly. Kindly look at my bio on the callsign lookup.

"6. Feel his own ego, and self importance, should be shared with all, in about every third post,of every topic."

A simple look at the posts available reveals this to be false.

"7. Have the "same old act" day after day.""

I am not an actor, but I am a musician. Is that what you mean? If so, I confirm my consistency within the context of my musicianship. I am not an actor, however.

Anyway, thank you for your friendship and I wish you well, wih the caveat so presented above.

Chip W1YW

12. N9FE

N9FE Ham Member QRZ Page

Still Slinging the crapola.. Good job Chippy. Almost a whole page of absolute blither. The best bullslinger beantown has ever seen....

13. KD7ZOS

KD7ZOS Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow: I like the piggy! After 44 + years in Law Enforcement, I've definately been called worse! When I first saw the first post, I was completely blown away, now looking at the second, whoever did this, is in my humble opinion a genius, and should be in Hollywood. Many thanks sir/madam, you have created a masterpiece for us in Ham Radio. Don't wish to get into the legal ramifications, or the bellyaching about proper permission of use. But would like to shake your hand, and suggest looking into getting a late permission from the song owner, with a few mea cupoa's added in for a unknowing non-profit, from the heart, for the good of all. Hell under those circumstances, I'd think the owner would be very proud, to give you a late go ahead, as a Public Service type spot...for the good of mankind, as Amatuer Radio saves lives, and your use in my humble views, was only to promote to the world, it's value to all in time of need. Lead On, Tom KD7ZOS:)

14. AE4XO

AE4XO Ham Member QRZ Page

Video

Ok so where are the videos that include all the things they say that this is missing? Humm.

15. N0IRS

N0IRS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.