ad: MLSons-1

100 Watts and a Wire with Christian Cudnik, KØSTH​ Officially Launches!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0STH, Jun 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K0STH

K0STH Ham Member QRZ Page

Fans of 'Ham Nation' may recognize Christian, KØSTH from his work as the host of the "New Ham" segment.

'100 Watts and a Wire' is a program celebrating amateur radio through the eyes of a 'new' ham. The show will feature topical conversation and interviews, news and an entertaining look at the adventures of a ham trying to figure it all out. We'll explore the interesting layers of this diverse hobby and service. '100 Watts and a Wire' is perfect for those who are new to ham radio, their Elmer’s, the seasoned radio operator and the technically curious crowd. You don't have to spend a fortune to get on the air and have fun!

Join Emmy winner Christian Cudnik for an inside a look at the world of amateur radio.

In this episode, we officially launch 100 Watts and a Wire! Join us for a review of Field Day 2015, we explore the growth of the 100 Watts and Wire Facebook group, and make a Special Announcement!

http://100wattsandawire.com/100-watts-and-a-wire/2015/6/30/episode-2-the-real-episode-1

2. KD0RTZ

KD0RTZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you haven't heard Christian, he is worth giving a chance.

3. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Gosh, I've been running 100W and a wire for almost 30 years. Worked every US county, 2400 prefixes and 272 entities. Not bragging just agreeing that you don't have to spend a lot to get good results. (Though time and decent band conditions help a lot.)

4. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the key. There are many times when I will be scanning around 20-6 meters and not hear anything, be about to turn the radio off when I hear some foreign DX in the mud. Usually it is some European Bloc country or randomly, a Pacific island. Having the time to actually sit down and scan the band is one part, having the patience to keep listening and adjusting filters, noise reduction and such, and a little bit of luck from the solar and atmospheric gods go a long way.

5. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Another
    20m net? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

6. KC2ESD

KC2ESD Ham Member QRZ Page

I found "100 Watts and a Wire" on the Apple podcast app on my iPhone.;)

7. N1FEV

N1FEV Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow I love it.... been saying that for years.

8. N0CEL

N0CEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Heh...funny how some people rail about too much technology "polluting / diluting" this hobby. It's (modern) technology - ie. social media, etc. - that has brought an original practice to light. Good luck to Christian in his endeavors! I, too, only work around 100 watts and a wire loop. I'm a happy camper running and logging nets running "barefoot" :)

9. K0MD

K0MD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I enjoyed listening to the inaugural podcast. Christian and Katie will fill an important niche in the hobby especially aimed at newer ops and those who have limited stations. What a great new program!

10. KG5HBI

KG5HBI Ham Member QRZ Page

I was on 20 meters 14.305 yesterday afternoon with the conditions being very poor and my G5RV Jr is only up at 18 ft right now I had a hard time pulling them in. This week end going up to 34 ft with full size G5RV (102ft long) hope this helps with my "barefoot" Kenwood. I will check in again in a few days, what times and days will the net be transmitting?
    73's
    Louis KG5HBI

11. KE5ES

KE5ES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I can talk to Poland from my home on my wire (bought from Lowes) on 100 watts and Columbia (psk-31) on 25 watts why would I need more. During field day I was using a high gain antenna that one of the club members had put up (not a beam just a vertical) and with 100 watts I talked to Guam.

12. KK6IQL

KK6IQL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have really enjoyed the first two podcasts and will continue to listen...

13. N2OBS

N2OBS Ham Member QRZ Page

To each, its own. But for me, just because one has a lot...does not mean they have to throw it ALL. I got my license privilege on October 8th, 1991 and still to this day use the least for the most efficient. Better to be heard, than seen. Besides the last i heard our bands, sounds like a bunch of children in the sandbox and its not suppose to be that way. Its a service first, secondly its a hobby for all to enjoy. When was the last time anyone here just invited your neighbours to play on your sandbox?

14. KA4ZZZ

KA4ZZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey I wanted everyone to know that I am only running 100 watts and a wire and absolutely love it. Over this last year I built a very special full wave loop. If I can hear them I can work them and I only experience at most times 2-3 db noise floor. Very quiet aerial so when I am receiving a QSO using the full wave aerial I get the entire true signal and can give very accurate s-meter reports. I also get very good signal reports back too. The antenna is capable of easily taking the full power and legal limit. I fully support wire aerials, and I have worked a number of countries without even trying. I don't see any advantage of buying a linear amplifier except to get through a pile up. I have been in communication a long time and learned a long time ago it is antenna, antenna, antenna. Without a good one you have wasted your money...Loop good on 60 - 10 meters, not enough room for an 160 or 80 meter loop...73's KA5DJS...