ad: wmr-1

CQ World Wide DX Contest Breaks 10,000 Log Barrier

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

CQ World Wide DX Contest Breaks 10,000 Log Barrier

(Hicksville, NY April 15, 2009) – For the first time, more than 10,000 logs have been submitted for the CQ World Wide DX Contest, according to Contest Director Bob Cox, K3EST. In addition, Cox reports that the number of CW logs have exceeded the number of phone logs for the first time in more than 20 years.

According to Cox, there were a total of 5013 SSB logs and 5272 CW logs submitted for the 2008 running of the event, for a total of 10,285 logs. This is the first time that the CQWW – already the world’s most popular amateur radio contest – has broken the 10,000 log mark. Of these, nearly 98% were submitted electronically.

It is also the first time since 1986 that more CW logs have been submitted than SSB logs. “This is a clear indication,” says Cox, “not only of the health of contesting and of CW, but of ham radio as a whole.” In addition, the logs contained the callsigns of more than 50,000 different amateur stations making at least one contest contact, indicating that many more stations participate in the CQWW Contest than submit logs.

SSB results of the 2008 CQWW Contest will be published in the August 2009 issue of CQ magazine; CW results will appear in the September issue.

2. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is great news.

This means essentially that a lot of people are getting on the radio and having FUN. Isn't that what we're supposed to be doing?

I love this hobby.

GL and see you in the contest!

3. AE1P

AE1P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"This is great news."

"This means essentially that a lot of people are getting on the radio and having FUN. Isn't that what we're supposed to be doing?

I love this hobby.

GL and see you in the contest! "

I'll second that Ryan !!!!:D

4. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'll give it a third. I also tend to enjoy CW contests much more than SSB.

..........Bob

5. G3XYP

G3XYP Guest

Over 50,000 of us making QSO's in one single weekend, maybe a few people will lay off the complaints next time the band plans go astray for a few hours. I have worked in CQWW since the late 60's and have few of their certificates on the wall. Congratualtions to the CQ gang and contesters worldwide. See you in the upcoming test, end of month. I'll be making a few contacts I hope!
    73 David G3XYP

6. N5PU

N5PU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So!

So CW is supposed to be on the way out! I enjoy the CQWW CW more than the SSB myself. Now if I cud only get my antennas back up......send on guys es hve fun! :D

7. K2GSP

K2GSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And you get my vote on that.

8. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CW contests are actually easier to operate in my opinion. Easier to filter out/notch QRM and there's much more room to breathe.

Also no sore throats at the end of the test, just maybe sore thumbs.

9. KX2X

KX2X Ham Member QRZ Page

Good news

CW ops are alive and well! They take their ham radio very seriously and make good A1 operators . CW ops are the real McCoy.

10. NG7Z

NG7Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I've tried my best in several phone contests. The QRM just hurts my ears. My feeling is that unless you have a KW and really big antennas, phone contesting is a waste of time. CW rules!!

11. WF7I

WF7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always preferred CW. I was worried that when the CW requirement went away, that CW would die, but paradoxically (to me anyway) there seems to be MORE CW activity than 5/6 years ago. The contest results would seem to bear that out.

I find CW to be far easier to get DX in than any other mode. Also it is much easier to design/build rigs for CW. PSK-31 and some of the newer digital modes are also great for DX and low signal. Phone in any form has never been a big draw for me. I find that some of the younger blood coming into the hobby feel the same way, probably due to the popularity of text messaging. CW is kind of like text messaging, it even uses some of the same abbreviations.

12. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

inb4 "Those durned contestor" posts start showing up.

I guess this shows that CW is still alive, well, and one of the most efficient modes of operation?

13. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

more of the got to have a kw and big antenna bs

ive never had a realy big antenna system
    never owned a tower

phone contests run 5 watts or less

there is no better time
    to work dx qrp phone
    then during a contest

best on the 2nd day
    when big gun contact rate starts to drop
    are willing to work
    dig a weak signal out of the crud
    for one more point or multiplier

have worked dxcc more than once
    during a dx phone contest
    using a beat up old TenTec 509 Argonaut
    all of 2 or 3 watts out

to a hb 2 el quad at 35 ft
    and a short ground mounted hb vertical

using qrp or low power during a contest
    is not harder on phone or easier on cw

it is simply knowing how to do it
    then doing it

14. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

You must be taking whining lessons from Greg. :p

Mac's right. It doesn't take "a KW and really big antennas" to be in a phone contest. It might take that to win one (or be in the top 20), but I'm not even sure that's the case.

I've made plenty of contacts during phone contests without an amp. I've made plenty of DX phone contacts without an amp. In fact, I spent the first 13 years of my time in ham radio without any amp at all. The first amp I owned was an AL-811 @ about 600 watts, which I obtained in mid-2004.

Unlike you, I don't own a tower and probably never will. I don't own a single, rotatable, directional HF antenna. All I have is wire hanging from trees and an R-7000 vertical (the MFJ vertical is about half destroyed by fallen tree limbs). Read my current bio here on QRZ. There is nothing remarkable about my station, especially when you compare it to your station. Ryan N2RJ could whip my ass in a heartbeat during a contest or DX pile-up as well.

I have worked all across the lower 48 on 100 watts. I have worked a good bit of DX with 100 watts over the years, including A4, A7, 9K, and KH6 to name a few.

Does an amp help? Sure it does, but you don't need one during a phone contest if your goal is to work on your DXCC totals, or try out a new antenna.

That's how I look at it. YMMV

15. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Mac,

Take note of his antenna setup.... and he's still whining.... :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.