ad: CQMM-1

New Garmin GPSmap 162

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Nov 10, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Robert Syms, KO6ZL writes...

APRS Friends,

I was visiting with Eric KA6IHT (manager at Burbank HRO and user of APRS) about a week ago. Eric fell in love with my new Garmin GPS map 162. It sounds as if HRO in Burbank is going to stock these units now! Originally they were marketed to the Marine industry but with its screen size and features it makes the perfect APRS GPS!

<TABLE>
    <TR>
    <TD>Yes this GPS has WPL input (for Kenwood D7 & D700 owners) it can display other APRS users on the map. Large capacity 2.5 meg of mapping storage I can load nearly all of the LA basin into its memory. A nice touch is the audible alarm that allows you set the distance other APRS users can get before sounding a warning. Many other cool features like graphical Lunar cycles for EME, tide charts, 9 digit icon names (full APRS callsign and extension on display), many brightness levels (light blue color), and a 4.5" diag. display (3.25"x3.25")!
    </TD>
    <TD>[​IMG]</TD>
    </TR>
    </TABLE>

For those of you who don't mind voiding the warrantee, the case can be opened and inside has enough room to mount a TNC board, and transmitter. An all in one tracker with large screen display. After owning and using many GPS units (GPSII, GPSIII, GPSIII+, ETrex, StreetPilot, GPSmap162) this is by far my favorite unit for APRS use.

CO$T??? Well this is the best part. You would figure with the larger screen than the StreetPilot it would cost much more. Nope infact it cost me just about as much as my GPSIII+ did and far less than the StreetPilot. I strongly recommend this unit if you are in the market to buy a new GPS for APRS!

You can contact Eric at his store (818) 842-1786 he will be getting
    his first batch of Garmin 162s in about 6 to 10 days.

I am posting this information because I am a happy Garmin 162 customer. I hope others can benefit from this unpublished model. Enjoy... If you call Eric tell him Rob from Maha said hello! Those of you who like this GPS should encourage their local ham radio dealer to stock this item.

For more information see Garmins' GPSmap 162 Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.