ad: elecraft

3W3RR Jail-pedition 2003-2015

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by NT2X, Jul 1, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NT2X

NT2X Ham Member QRZ Page

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> From mid-April of 2015, Romeo was moved from Federal Correctional Institution Lompoc in Northern CA, via United States Penitentiary Victorville, CA (in Mojave desert), to another prison Federal Transfer Center Oklahoma City. Then he was moved to United States Penitentiary Atlanta, Clayton County Prison and finally to his current ‘residence’ in McRae Correctional Institution, 170 miles south of Atlanta.

0131.jpg

McRae is a private prison, managed by the Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) and is different from any federal prison where he spent time. There are no US citizens there, only aliens, who after they complete sentences, are quickly deported. BTW, Romeo’s current sentence runs until 2020.

Most of the 2200 prisoners there are from South and Central America, but there are some individuals from Canada, RSA, France, UK, Nigeria, Palestine, also from Vietnam, Hong Kong, Fiji, Bahamas, Tonga and Samoa. Romeo plans on describing life in his new place, the best he can (within limits, of course) and post it on his website.

He can be contacted at the address below (this is the place to send your QSL and receive now famous (or infamous) 3W3RR jail QSL)

Roman Vega # 59198-004
    McRae CI
    PO Drawer 55030
    McRae Helena, GA 31055, USA

How to fill out a QSL is described here. His current log, as of the end of June 2015, can be found here.
    Copy of img791a_Page_6.jpg
    img791a_Page_7.jpg

The log contains Jail-QSO serial number, callsign, QSL date of receipt, prison name where Romeo resided when mailed QSL reached him. QSLs 241-252 were sent to Lompoc prison in CA but were forwarded to his ‘ new address’ McRae. All cards, up to #240 were replied to, and 241-252 – will be confirmed shortly. Don’t expect a quick reply though, prison is a prison, after all. Communicating from within prison walls is described here.

73, Ed/NT2X

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0pt 5.4pt 0pt 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0pt; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

2. NX6ED

NX6ED Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do we a thread about "qso"s with an incarcerated prisoner? I don't get it....

3. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think the character required to be a licensee under FCC rules and being incarcerated in Federal prison would be mutually exclusive.

4. VE3VEE

VE3VEE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He moved to his current QTH because it allowed him better space for antennas for the lower HF bands. First though he has to sort out RFI issues he was recently made aware of by some of the residents. LOL! ;-)

5. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a little lost on this.

Does Mr. Vega have a ham license? Will he be on the air to make contacts?

6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee,.......................... when did the FCC start issuing 3W calls.

think again

7. VE3VEE

I still need him on 160m... ;-)

Mark, all becomes clear after reading the following: http://www.3w3rr.com/p/jail-log-and-qsl.html

;-)

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

look on the Justice Dept. website and you will see he has been convicted/plead guilty to numerous charges of credit card data theft, setting up a site to exchange credit card data and money laundering.

I would probably not send him any info.

YMMV

................. but,.............. the /JAIL is kinda funny

9. K8MHZ

OK, so no radio. So you are pretty much sol for a 160.

The only thing about amateur radio I can see is the fact that the prisoner is asking for QSL cards. No info on web site as to whether or not Mr. Vega has an amateur radio license.

10. K8MHZ

I found the story about Romeo.

It's actually pretty strange.

http://hamgallery.com/gallery/R/Romeo/

Just a small snip. Please, read the entire story.

11. VE3VEE

Mark, I wonder if the postage is paid by the tax payers :)

12. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I still want to thank him for the beautiful P5RS7 card I got from him. Just wish it counted!!