ad: elecraft

Seeking UK radio amateur volunteers for a special project

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K3FU, Jun 21, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K3FU

K3FU Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings,

I am seeking some radio amateurs from the UK who might be interested in a positive on-line project in support of amateur radio, and amateur radio in the UK. This is strictly non-partisan, non-commercial, and non-compensating (i.e., voluntary). Ideal candidates would be those who are licensed radio amateurs of any class in the UK, are technically competent, have Internet access, have good written communications skills, have appropriate time management skills, and have a track record of reliability in completing projects. Team players who work well with others and have patience and politeness with dealing with the public would be a definite plus. Ongoing time obligations should be no more than a couple of hours a week.

Are there any interested people within the UK amateur radio community, or can anyone suggest venues where I can try to recruit them? I can certainly elaborate on the details if there are those who might be interested and want to find out more.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

73, Paul, K3FU

2. K3FU

K3FU Ham Member QRZ Page

Any recommended strategies for recruiting volunteers? QRZ is a high-quality forum, with many qualified radio amateurs making excellent contributions. Part of this is due to the tireless efforts of Fred and the team over many years.

In other on-line forums about amateur radio, particularly those that are unmoderated or loosely moderated, it seems to be very hard to find individuals who are sane, sober, even-tempered, knowledgeable, sensible, gainfully employed (or self-supporting in retirement), and not suffering from anti-social or obsessive personality disorders, or having significant and ongoing entanglements with law enforcement and the mental health system. It is not clear that many of these individuals are even involved in amateur radio in any way. When such people dominate other forums, day in and day out, over many years, it is easy for casual observers to say that the demonstrated bad behavior is "typical" or "representative" of radio amateurs, who appear to have nothing better to do with their time. This may be a problem if those casual observers are site administrators, government regulators, or just members of the general public who might otherwise be excellent recruits for our hobby (service). This bad behavior, and resulting bad impressions, seems to be an acute current shortfall in some forums about amateur radio in the UK, sad to say.

I know that there are commendable radio amateurs in the UK who can set a good public example, and support high-quality forums in support of amateur radio in their country. Resources like RSGB, AMSAT-UK, SolderSmoke, TXFactor, and Southgate ARC News prove that. I have been successful in helping to create and moderate forums for US amateurs over the years. I would like the chance to meet and speak with high quality UK radio amateurs to discuss possible opportunities to repeat those successes for similar forums in the UK.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

73, Paul, K3FU

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    N0SYA likes this.
  3. M0WIT

M0WIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Paul,

Can you tell me more about what you are looking for.

I am willing to suggest to my local club that perhaps if this is something we can help with we possibly volunteer as a group if that would help.

Regards

Daz (M0WIT)

4. K3FU

K3FU Ham Member QRZ Page

Daz,

Thank you for your interest. I sent you some further details in a private message.

73, Paul, K3FU

5. MM0HVU

MM0HVU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi
    Hope this finds you well, can you please drop me a note with exactly what you are seeking and some thinking on implemetation,
    Thanks and have a great night
    David

6. K3FU

K3FU Ham Member QRZ Page

Message sent.

Thanks, David.

73, Paul, K3FU

7. K3FU

K3FU Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to thank the 200+ members of QRZ who took the time to read this thread, and for their sincere interest in a viable amateur radio hobby (service) that is not represented, and undermined, by a small minority of the poorly-behaved among us. I believe that I have found a couple of high-quality volunteers from the QRZ community in response to my appeal, and look forward to working with them. If anyone else is possibly interested, please let me know as soon as possible before I close the volunteer list and proceed with planning and training with the assembled team.

73, Paul, K3FU

8. K3FU

K3FU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks everyone. From QRZ, we were able to recruit two high-quality volunteers. The project is a moderated Usenet newsgroup for amateur radio in the UK. The Request for Discussion was just posted, and may be viewed at:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/uk.net.news.config/zWeJCdkTCcs/JtfEwgT7BwAJ

Please consider posting your statements of support, and intention to use the newsgroup if created.

73, Paul, K3FU

MM0HVU likes this.
  9. K3FU

K3FU Ham Member QRZ Page

10. K3FU

K3FU Ham Member QRZ Page

11. K3FU

K3FU Ham Member QRZ Page

12. K3FU

K3FU Ham Member QRZ Page