ad: portazero-1

Intruder Alert!

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by WU2E, Mar 4, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WU2E

WU2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Recently changed my QRZ page to include this-

I want to use this part of my page for INTRUDER WATCH. I heard an INTRUDER today (3-4-2015) and thought to make it known to any and All. A few of us were on 7185 LSB and a fellow started calling John/KB3MZQ without IDing eventually we got WA2IUD out of him but this is a long expired club call from Red Bank High School. I don't take lightly the fact that we are designated "a self-policing radio service".
    If you hear anyone using WA2IUD please drop me an email because I want to be a part of 'taking out the trash'. It is illegal to talk to one of these unlicensed individuals and I do know someone who was given a letter from FCC for talking to an unidentified station. So be warned and be aware.

2. K4KFQ

K4KFQ Ham Member QRZ Page

My Question, since the introduction of the internet, and the FCC changing testing standards, did they not see the in flux of CBers and illegals operating on our bands. Seems as though there is penalties only for the liscensed hams , and not the intruders. Now there are so many un identified stations, jamming and interfereing, and not much we alone can do
    Its very pre dominant since my recent return, after a 35 year absence. Sincerely K4KFQ

3. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone who can't pass the tests today have to be brain dead.

KE4OBE likes this.
  4. KE5WXL

KE5WXL Ham Member QRZ Page

Its not just the CB people, I believe the cheap Chinese radio's is the big problem, Police are having problem with people messing with their bands

5. K4KFQ

K4KFQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems these un identified are running hi pwr linears, maybe the neighbors could trace them thru their QRM

6. KD8YNY

KD8YNY Ham Member QRZ Page

I keep seeing this pop up, I do not understand why people use the "FCC changing testing standards" has anything to do with CBers and Illegal operators on the bands. This could of happened at anytime, not because the FCC allowed the drop of morse code. This is what I presume you may be referring to? if not could you please clarify.

Many thanks.. KD8YNY.

Also, I do believe the influx of Chinese trash radios at $30 a pop does not help, seeing as they can be configured into a few different bands. I was shocked to see how much keying people out, playing music and so forth on the HF bands. Not so much on the VHF/UHF bands.

7. K8VEN

K8VEN Ham Member QRZ Page

As a Ham you have the resources to build a "DF" loop and get a friend of yours, maybe another Ham and see if you can find the source of the QRM. It has been done before ...why not now?

8. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

9. W0GDS

W0GDS Ham Member QRZ Page

FCC does take action on "rogue" stations. Many who continuously operate on same frequencies and times, do get the "bird dog" in the van hunting.
    Yes it may take a while but if fellow HAMs will make log notes and send FCC alerts with all the info, then eventually these "rogues" do get taken down
    and the nice part is that they get to smash all their own equipment....well maybe that is a little far, but you know what it means.

G.S. W0GDS

10. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

Face it, FCC does not have ham radio at the top of its list. It brings no money into the government, it has no useful purpose although ARRL calls it emergency communications. I think now with the paper licenses discontinued and now enforcement going away, ham radio is going to see more "bogus" stations on the air with fraudulent calls. It's going to go the way of CB. The FCC is downsizing by letting most of the Field Engineers go so now who is going to pick up that responsibility in our Federal Government? The FCC will be nothing more than a bunch of Lawyers that don't have a Clue about RF or how it works. For the Amateur Radio Community, it's going to be an uphill battle to find these bootleggers and try to have them prosecuted by our Federal Court System. In effect, the FCC is nothing more than a Paper Tiger not like it was in the 1950s and 1960s, and after we lost Riley Hollingsworth to retirement, that was the beginning of the end.

11. DL5JEX

DL5JEX Ham Member QRZ Page

It's much easier to find known people, and they know who we are. We are easier to fine for talking to an unidentified station (even accidentally), than to locate and fine the unidentified station. It's kind of like gun control. The easier money is usually the way everyone wants to go.

Drop the requirement to register our addresses, and everyone - both legals and illegals - are on level playing ground as far as locating someone goes. Then the FCC would have to jump into their vans if they want to fine someone. As long as that's the case, they'll probably use their time and energy going after the bad guys. That's where the bigger money would be.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  12. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a thought, but I have a feeling some of the enforcement will be handed over to DHS under the terrorist umbrella.

13. WA9WVX

Well, that might happen with DHS but how many of the DHS employees really understand Amateur Radio hobby as it stands right now. These are Law Enforcement Personnel not Electrical Engineers and who would they turn to for help on TVI / RFI, Jammers, Interference or other Radio problems?

I just read today April 2, 2015, that the FCC's "Ham Guy," Bill Cross, W3TN, is Retiring on April 3, 2015 and it appears as if any enforcement for Amateur Radio will fall at the wayside according to his comments in The ARRL Letter which go back to my original comments in this post. I don't think it's going to be a pretty picture starting Friday afternoon.

14. WA9WVX

Hello Rich,

I can hardly envision the FCC Lawyers jumping into a van with Radio Directional Equipment and trying to track down the Bad Guys. The FCC is downsizing all of their Field Engineers, something like 50 or 60% and whomever is left will be sooo busy trying to keep their assignments focused on the Commercial Broadcasters, the Land Mobile Two-Way Industry, the Internet, the Cable TV Business and Cellular Telephone Networks, they will hardly have time to sleep.

Dan

15. DL5JEX

DL5JEX Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, certainly. And that's the problem. How can they afford to do this? By looking up our addresses and punishing us for communicating with imposters. You see, for me and you, it's a problem. For them, not so much. Money is money, regardless of how they get it. You and I have to work for it. For them, not as much as they used to, apparently.

They won't reverse their course until it becomes a problem for them. It's fairly basic stuff. If I could go rob a bank, knowing full well that there won't be any consequences for me, rest assured, I'd do it tomorrow. Once people begin to realize that they can just run down the road and buy a modified ham radio, and use it freely, they will. Simple as that. I think the problem is going to have to get much much worse before it gets better, though.