ad: Radclub22-1

The Future of Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The Dayton Hamvention 2013 is now over, an exciting , fun,eyeball extravaganza enjoyed in good weather and no hitches. There was only oneproblem: few people showed up, and those that came left early. A quick scan ofHara (and the parking lot) confirms that attendance was way down, perhaps asmuch as 40-50% from top numbers<o:p></o:p>
    What happened?<o:p></o:p>
    The answer was obvious if you scan heads: a sea of gray andskin overwhelmed the view. We are old (as least as active hams). That will comeas no revelation to anyone, but the implications to us, as hams (at least inthe US) is profound in ways we may not have thought about, and this will leadto quick changes that may prove unexpected and even kill off many of the attributesof the amateur radio service we’ve learned to assume and love over decades.Here I highlight the effects on several aspects which will inevitably happenover the next 5 years. This is ‘news’ that can motivate us to prepare and correctthe consequences.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>1) MEMBERSHIP COLLAPSE. More than a decade ago, we were all abuzzabout the coming rise of retiring hams--many off the air for decades-- lookingto renew their active status in the world’s first and original ‘social network’.We are now slightly past the top of that phenomenon, and if you look at yourlocal clubs, on the air groups, and even the ARRL, you see this in a very bigway. Control and contributions are dominated by those over 60, and even 70. This,unfortunately, has the effect of biasing actions to serve the needs of thegrowing ‘experienced’ membership, which in turn alienates those in youngerdemographics. It is also unfortunate that the hand of time cannot be stopped,and the participation of those experienced hams will fall off quickly anddramatically, mostly from health, logistics, and mortality reasons. This bodespoorly for clubs, who in the next 5 years will see a dire collapse ofleadership and membership.<o:p></o:p>
    2) ON THE AIR COLLAPSE. Contest operation (at HF) isway up, and so are the old hams doing so. They are sharp, and having a greattime! Unfortunately the same factors that affect club membership will taketheir toll on OTA activities. Aging hams will either be unable or logisticallyhampered in operations on HF, and at least in the US, you will see a collapse inthe number of U.S. stations in contests. Ironically, a temporary solution isalready being experienced: multi operator contest stations. They will continueto grow, but expect that for every multiop station the single ops will decline by a huge margin. Off contests, the HF bandswill often be mostly dead of U.S. signals,despite times of good band conditions.<o:p></o:p>
    3) USED HAM MARKET COLLAPSE. This is happening now.In fact, the used market is dominated by the ‘experienced’ hams. But as theyage, they buy less and they or their estates sell more. Don’t be surprised tosee gear that has gone up in price catastrophically collapse to 30-50 cents onthe dollar in the next few years.<o:p></o:p>
    4) NEW HAM MARKET COLLAPSE. As the used market becomesbargain rich, the pressure to buy new will also collapse. The implication isfar fewer companies serving us with even fewer offerings.<o:p></o:p>
    It is not my intention to spread panic nor bad thoughts, butrecognizing how the hand of time has affected us lets us prepare, choose, andeven alter. How can we change and guide the amateur radio servicefor a healthy future?<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just so everyone knows, this was edited (or squashed by a translating computer (not person) editor), and in particular, the run-in paragraphs, word run-ons, run-on sentences, and ">>'s" were NOT what I submitted. I spent some time getting this just right.

What you are seeing is not it.

In any case, I do hope we can get past that and concentrate on the issues, which are our aging service--and what we can do moving forward. Note that I very much am one of the 'old persons' discussed here.

Chip W1YW

3. W1PPP

W1PPP Ham Member QRZ Page

The interest in ham radio was there back when I was a kid, but I never got around to pursuing it. Last winter at the ripe age of 59, I finally came back and investigated ham radio again. What you state here about the US ham radio community matches exactly the first thing I noticed about it. It is dominated by a bunch of old guys with almost no "kids" anywhere in sight. To anyone from "outside" the hobby, it's even more glaring to them. I made this same observation about the US ham community to my daughter some months ago and her comment was "geeze Dad, what did you expect?". She continued with "we (meaning her generation) have phones."

Just recently I made another observation while I was researching radios. I will read short written reviews. But, regardless of the product or type of product, if I am given the opportunity to listen and watch a youtube video of someone doing the review, I will take the youtube clip over the 3 pages of text and a couple of pictures. What surprised me about the youtube video reviews and presentations of the various radio models was, most if not the vast majority of them were done by people outside the US. When I compare that to the last time I was investigating Norelco razors, the youtube razor reviews were mainly done by younger Americans.

I think your projections Chip are valid and most likely dead nuts on the money. You are not predicting anything different than the effects of age and mortality of a specific group of aging people. There is only one way to change those projections and that is to change the makeup of the target group you are discussing.

Another Chip
    KC9YAJ
    73s

4. W5AMG

W5AMG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Aloha Chip,

I really hate when people use the term "aging" as a reason people aren't participating in events such as this. Cost, hassle & travel time of all travel (especially air) has increased drastically
    in recent years, as has the danger of US roadways (including Hawaii). Age has nothing to do with it. Just because a person has greying hair or bald, 50 or 90 years old I really believe has
    no effect generally on any ham radio events. ALL of us are getting older every day, and that's all people in all hobbies & ventures.

For vendors it is no longer a good investment due to most of us buy online, which is nothing new.

The reason they came early and left early is what they came for was the swap tables. Besides, who
    wants to miss lunch?

Your perspective on this is I believe is somewhat flawed though not totally untrue.

Tommy KH6TA

5. VE3LDJ

VE3LDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Of the group of 7 hams I meet up with at Dayton, and Field Day, I am the second oldest.
    I just turned 40.

Perhaps the younger ones were too busy working and supporting their families to head off for
    a weekend of fun.

Luke VE3LDJ

6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tough to compete against Cellphones and the Internet for kids interest!

7. N8OX

N8OX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Economy and Expense

When I was growing up in the 60s (born in '54) my dad tried for the longest time to get me and my brother (NO8X) interested in Ham radio. He bought books, code oscillators, and other things to spark our interest but we weren't interested in learning Morse code. We both eventually joined the Air Force (me in '71 and my brother in '73). We both got our Ham tickets in 1983 and eventually upgraded to Extra while code was still required. I have been an Elmer for a guy at work. Eli got interested while I was looking for a new 2-meter rig for MARS operation. Eli passed the first two exams in one session back in Dec '12 and he passed his Extra on 21 May '13. Never really asked Eli (KB7EHL) if he ever had a previous interest in Ham radio but I do know he's been around communications all his life (retired Army). Anyway, I honestly feel, at least for this year and possibly in the near term, the economy is hurting everyone and the trek to Dayton would dent anyone's wallet. I'm sure they're a lot of Hams, old and new alike, that would love to experience Dayton. Let's just hope the economy doesn't kill it before we can once again afford to make the trip without selling the farm... 73, Charlie - NO8X (Ex: HL9FY, KA2FY (Japan), and KG4FY (Guantanamo Bay, Cuba))

8. NZ1MT

NZ1MT Ham Member QRZ Page

My 2 cents worth from a slightly greying amateur radio enthusiast....location, location, location....sorry to say but the reviews I have read about the Dayton facility and accommodation really put me off from attending. I'm certainly not going to drag my family and kids there. For a premier US Ham radio event it really needs to be hosted at a city that supports conventions with an event center, reasonable priced accommodation and excellent transportation options.....make it a destination location and the family and kids can come along and just maybe the kids may become interested in the hobby. 73, Mike - NZ1MT

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike, This was my first trip to Dayton. City or ham-thing (as my wife calls it).

Hara is a bit dingy but, save for the slightly gross lavaratories, was more than acceptable. In fact I found it kinda cozy and very, very friendly. In fact, I found everyone I met in Dayton--ham or otherwise-- friendly.

Dayton itself is a combination of vital city and urban blight. Welcome to the United States in 2013. Not Detroit or Gary, for sure. More like Pittsburgh.

I didn't find anything on the pricey side. Maybe because I live in Boston...where a hotel is $200+ a night.

As for not bringing the family to Dayton...well, they have one of the very best museums in the world--the Air Force Museum. Think Smithsonian Air and Space...now multiply by 10! This is a destination in itself: clean; modern; huge; fascinating.

I am looking forward to going to the Hamvention next year. The only thing that turned me off was that United lost my luggage(with a bunch of demo stuff), and I had to give a Forum talk without it. Luggage showed up three hours later. I did what all hams do: I improvised:)

Chip W1YW

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  10. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member

I have to agree with Luke, VE3LDJ. Maybe the younger ones, 20-somethings and 30-somethings, finally got something right. Support your family because it'll be the one to take care of you if something happens to you. Ham radio won't.

I think a lot of hams, both younger and older have finally realized that this hobby is a monetary sinkhole. My wife told me to take from the budget whatever I need (you read it right) and do it all right -- the first time -- with new equipment. I stopped -- when the cost of an HF vertical and a VHF/UHF discone, with full lightning and surge protection went past $1,500.

If i get back on the air from the new QTH, fine. If I don't, fine. I've got better things (and a heck of a lot of them) to worry about.

73!

Jerry, N9LCD

11. KB9OFM

KB9OFM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with nz1mt.
    I have been there 2 times long ago.
    The place where they hold it ( o'hara) is a dump.
    My friends who went there this year,say it is still a dump.
    They came back home a saturday,said they were done.
    I would never take my family to o'hara, nor will I go back there again.
    This is suppose to be the events of all events in ham radio,
    and look where it is held.

Good day Dennis

12. N9JPS

N9JPS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never been to Dayton and I live 20 miles east of Indianapolis. I have been a ham since 2002, but did not get OTA until 2006 and I would love to go to Dayton. But, quite frankly, amateur radio IS an OM or XYL sport. Young people cannot afford a lot of the equipment and expenses because of many obligations to job, family, community, debts and building a future for your kids. Once you have the little ones raised, educated and on their own, what is left. Some one that has invested wisely and had no "bumps in the road" financially or career-wise can begin to reap the rewards of a well-lived life. So many of us struggle to make ends meet and keep an interest in a hobby that is beginning to change as fast as the computer/tablet/smartphone technologies. (Think SDR, D-Star, APRS, HF contesting; you get the idea.)
    One possible way to peak interest in AR with the younger generation is to relate the technologies of AR with the science and technology that they may have an interest to pursue for a future career. My wife is a high school science teacher and is trying to find any way to connect physics, chemistry, Earth/space science and biology to the world of AR. She is interested in pursuing her Tech license this summer so that she will be able to incorporate ATV with a competetion called Moonbuggy put on by NASA in Huntsville, AL. She wants to incorporate AR in her class by doing high altitude balloon and model rocket launches (ATV, APRS, beacons, repeaters) and make a Sea/Space buoy to monitor conditions of a nearby body of water for a class (APRS, datalogging, beacons). Telemetry is the name of the game in these cases and any wireless tech is a product of and aided by AR tech. When a student becomes interested in science, any branch, AR can be incorporated in the learning process at any time.
    Incredible experiences can come from and to AR if people will just put their minds to the task and not lament the demise of a great hobby. Amateur radio has even lead to many getting good and rewarding careers in the science and technology fields. People come and go from the hobby, but it will be there, in some form, for the future. Remember, the US is not the only country on this planet that partakes in the hobby of AR. There is an IARU, besides the ARRL and other national AR organizations.
    Keep your chins up and keep moving forward.
    Bill

13. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Most hams don't give a dam about the future of ham radio.
    Instead, they are only interested in their own personal enjoyment of it.

Those who are interested in ham radio's future... we want young people to get into amateur radio. So we must promote HF digital communications. This includes DXing, keyboarding, and automatic or manual digital communications. It is one of the few things that is uniquely interesting to young people who are already familiar with computers... something that you can't do on the internet.

ARRL and most clubs have not promoted HF digital... even when they do mention it, their support of it is wimpy. In some cases, they have fought against it. The FCC's antiquated content-based HF rules are anti-digital. The future of ham radio in USA started its death march when the bandwidth-based rules proposals were shot down. That effectively ended the chance for multi-mode voice+data digital communications on most HF in USA.

What can we offer to prospective young experimenters that they can't get on their smartphone?
    Please don't say "Rag chewing and Contests"

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Tommy,

You floored me with this one. Couldn't stop laughing!

The problem is... there's no Denny's nearby!

Maybe a Sonic:)?

Chip W1YW

15. K5MVW

K5MVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well as ham ham that got into it via the novice licence in 1957 I have seen a lot of negitive changes in the hobby. First insentive licening is a joke and many hams left because of it. The doing away with licence fees that the FCC used for enforcement was a bad idea. I think the final straw was doing away with the novice class and keeping the extra class when the FCC said there were too many classes. Without the young people there is not much of a future to this hobby. As you can probabbly tell I am not a supported of the ARRL. Tom k5mvw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.