ad: elecraft

RT Systems Radio Programming Software now Worldwide Repeater Directory Enabled!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W2CYK, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W2CYK

W2CYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Friday, April 6, 2012
    Press Release
    RT Systems, Inc.
    RFinder – The Worldwide Repeater Directory

RFinder, the World Wide Repeater Directory, and RT Systems are pleased to announce the integration of RT Systems’ suite of programs with the World Wide Repeater Directory!

This monumental event signifies a breakthrough in programmability for Amateur radios that cover VHF and above. RT Systems’ programs now have an easy user interface to query RFinder’s World Wide Repeater Directory without the tedious process of manually entering the repeater data.
    Users do not need to know the latitude and longitude - simply query a place, such as “Eiffel Tower”, “Sydney Opera House” or choose other worldwide locations from the exotic to just around the corner. Within seconds the system returns repeaters within the specified radius (up to 90 miles). Then, with just two mouse clicks, the data is transformed by the RT Systems program into a file ready for your specific radio. (Software for your specific radio is required).

InterfaceBlank.jpg

RT Systems is very excited about the release of this new feature: “The ability to get repeater data from the Worldwide Repeater Directory has a great impact on the Amateur community. You have all this data right at your fingertips - anytime, anywhere. Whether you’re just visiting or on a DX-pedition, as long as you have internet access you’ve got fresh and accurate data.”

The World Wide Repeater Directory is constantly updated by the Amateur community, making it the most complete and accurate repeater directory in the world.

The RT Systems and RFinder teams are both very thrilled to bring this capability to the Amateur community! An annual subscription to the World Wide Repeater Directory is only $9.99… a fraction of the annual cost of competitive data sources.

For more information about the radio programing software with the new RFinder Web Service feature visit, www.RTSystemsInc.com.

You can also access the world repeater directory from http://www.rfinder.net, Smart phones and tablets. RFinder can be found in the Android Market (Google Play) and shortly in the Apple App Store for running on iPhones, iPads and iPods. It is also currently under development for Windows Phone and Symbian Smartphones.

FrontScreen.jpg rfafront.jpg

2. K8ZBQ

K8ZBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I like your app, but I wish you would respond to my submissions on updated info.

3. W2CYK

Hi Mark...Hoppy Easter, Happy Passover, etc...to you and yours and the entire Amateur community...

And thanks for your support...I see you were one of our earliest adopters, thanks for hanging in there during our growing pains...

I see you made several requests on 4/12/2011:
    KB8UIR 53.27 delete
    W8RRJ 52.7 delete
    KA8WWI 53.23 delete
    W8OZ 53.81 delete

You made a few more but they were dupes of the above...

On 1/31 we verified your request and accepted them.

Unfortunately we had a small issue...we had so many requests (like 8000ish) that we fell a bit behind...EVERY request has to be verified on the web or with direct contact with the machine's trustee...we did some things to fix that:
    1. We automatically weed out duplicate requests and delete them so they don't have to be fielded (they have to be REAL dupes...several requests on the same machine still have to be verified manually if you request a change then request another change on the same machine that is different)
    2. We automatically delete empty requests...those that kick the tires and submit an empty request
    3. We automatically verify the validity of PL's proactively so we got rid of requests for bad PL frequencies...these get dropped in their own work queue and checked manually. We are down to 132 bad PL's out of 30,000 total repeaters...should be done with that very soon but its very time consuming on non-US repeaters (how do you say repeater in French for instance to make a Google search LOL)
    4. We hired an administrator to handle these requests. She is up to early February submissions for Change requests, finished with Add requests and should be totally caught up by end of April...

If you have some more please submit them...once we are caught up we intend to have these processed closer to the submission date...once caught up our admin will get an email of the request so she can field them asap...

All changes are posted to the web on Monday mornings at 0000z as the editing does not happen on the live data...it is staged.

Adding of machines can be done easily on the web at http://add.rfinder.net or in the Android or iOS app.

Thanks again for the feedback Mark and if you feel I missed some requests above or they are still showing up please let me know so I can see why...post here or direct my email bobg@w2cyk.net or bobofthedeep on Skype

Bob

4. G8LIY

G8LIY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Suggestion??

Hello Mark,

Nice application.
    Having literally just started at looking into "Android" programming, a suggestion.
    Which maybe already present, or possibly already on your list already.

Most new Smart Phones have "Location Awareness", ((accuracy can be variable, few metre to 10's of metres))
    - If "Location Awareness" is enabled, and data is available, then..
    - Use current position to calculate "current locator", I have seen the code in use on some web sites, enter Lat/Long = Locator
    - Use this to have dynamic "What Repeaters are in my current area" Feature,
    - Will need a "Auto Distance" to check parameter Km/Miles: [nn]

Obviously "Location Awareness" needs to be handled with care.
    Do "not" want any security/privacy issues by exposing the data.

Just a thought.

FYI,
    I think the French word for Repeater is "Relais" ??
    Google "Radio Amateur Relais France".... Lot of results

Great work.
    Dave - G8LIY

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  5. W2CYK

Hey Dave...tx for the comments...

Yes we are already location aware...grab RFinder from the Android Market (Google Play)...shows repeaters in your area (you choose the radius/bands) and we calculate the distance to when you open the list view...

You are right...relais! Kept us from finding the French list for some time...

73's...

Bob :)

6. KA5LQJ

KA5LQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bob,

Sounds like you've got it all worked out. CONGRATULATIONS! I'm not going to be traveling out of the U.S. But would only be interested in 10, 6, 2m and 70cm repeaters in THIS part of the World, LOL! Certainly, the price is right for the latest information, but sadly there are some area repeaters that have gone QRT, have moved frequency, or been sold. Is there a place where one can submit the "change" information?

GOD BLESS,

Don/KA5LQJ

7. W2CYK

Don...

Thanks for your kind comments!

In the app, there are two buttons in the repeater detail...Update Info or Request Delete
    In the app, in the repeater list screen, click Menu-Add Repeaters
    On the www you can add repeaters anytime whether you subscribe or not...http://add.rfinder.net

The set of repeaters you outlined above is about 2/3rds of the data, so you are all good!

With your login you can access the data on the RT Systems Programming software, Android, iPhone (any day now, Apple, hello??) or any of the other projects that are or will be coming out with The WorldWide Repeater Directory enbabled in them! We are accepting integration with just about anyone with a program that uses repeater data.

73's and thanks for your support (and the blessings...I need all the help I can get)!!!

Bob/W2CYK

ss_detail_230.jpg ss_update_173.jpg ss_addrepeater_173.jpg

8. KF7TDP

KF7TDP Guest

After spending countless hours programming my handheld, I am impressed with the ease of finding and programming frequencies from wherever I may be traveling. Great product, Easy to understand and use.
    73's
    Kelly
    KF7TDP

9. G8LIY

G8LIY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  10. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool feature.

As far as locational awareness, as a licensed amateur radio operator I surely don't want anybody to know where I am.
    Oh wait ... never mind. ;)

11. W2CYK

Your name is Shirley? LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.