ZY0T

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB3LIX, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Unlike a lot of DX peditions which feature highly experienced ops this one is being conducted by relatively inexperienced casual DXers and it shows. It is not being helped by the lids who won't follow instructions or the frequency police who cover ZY0T's sometimes very weak transmissions. I needed only this one and P5 to have them all and I finally did get ZY0T in the log on several bands both SSB and CW....but it was a challenge and at times painful given the operating practices of both the ZY0T ops and the ops in the pileups.

2. K3STX

K3STX Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW!!! Only one to go, that is amazing. Don't give up hope; remember how Albania used to be nearly impossible?

paul

3. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I can see, they haven't been spotted in several hours.
    Their website states they will be there until midnight tonigh.

Maybe is is siesta time ???

4. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

It was a three day operation only. I believe it was originally planned for 6 days but owing to issues related to Naval transporation to the island, it got cut in half.

DXpeditions have had a rough go of it recently - in terms of transport.

5. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats pretty imprssive that ZY0 was one of your last two on CW.

I have no idea what to say on the P5 matter. We'll see that one activated in one of 3 ways - 1) its activated by US troops after they shoot it out, 2) its activated by a Chinese or Russian ham who has managed to talk his way into operating (under rather strict conditions), or 3) its activated by North Korean hams after its decided by KJI's successor (likely his youngest son) that the Juche policy is not worth it and the peninsula is better off as a democratic and free (unified) nation.

6. KB3LIX

That 'splains that...Too bad.
    But at their Q rate, I would never have gotten thru anyhow.

7. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I can see, they worked stations in one of two manners. #1 You had to be VERY LOUD which meant they gravitated towards you immediately or #2 you had to be transmitting where nobody else was (and I don't mean you found the niche between two stations). I mean the herd was following them from 7013 to 7015 and then 7017. You decide to drop your call in on 7012. Boom, you might have succeeded.

I heard KA9FOX work them this way - going extra high on 80 meters, and N2NL working them this way - going way low on 40 meters.

I also heard CU2JT working them - but do not remember which method he was using. Gary is usually quite loud here.

8. KB3LIX

I tried that...didn't work.

I have used that tactic many times, go above or below the pile
    and try to find a quiet spot. Got thru to TX5SPA that way.

I could NEVER be accused of being LOUD anywhere, not with my setup.

9. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Nearly?

It was impossible, until one of the hardest core Communist regimes on Earth relented.

But it was great fun when it finally came on the air. Just as it was with Viet Nam.

I'm not holding my breath about North Korea.

Bill

10. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I could have had them all except that when Marti went to P5 my work schedule was such that I just couldn't get on while he was there. Oh well, NN3W may have it right. It is possible it might come on the air again in my lifetime. We'll just have to see. In the meantime looks like the current PJ countries will be re-arrainged in Oct 2010 with a couple being deleted and perhaps as many as 3 new ones being created. That part of the world is not hard from NE Oregon so hopefully those will go in the log easily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.