ZX AERIALS GP-3W ZX Antennas 3-band HF Vertical 12, 17, 30m

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by 2E0IMJ, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. 2E0IMJ

2E0IMJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am thinking of purchasing this antenna, is anybody out there using this set up ? What do you think of it ? I would appreciate comparisons between ground mounting and roof mounting performance ? Does it have 3 coils for the bands indicated ? (Or is it one these fancy dummy load efforts ? Does anybody have any spec on this other than what is available ?

Would appreciate some feedback

2. AI4IJ

AI4IJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried looking up details about this antenna; but, no one seems to have a decent picture of it or a decent discussion of its design and operation. It looks to be a standard groundplane antenna that requires radials. The few web sites that I checked mention radials - one resonant radial for each band. And, they also make reference to the need for a tuner for use on multiple bands.

This tells me that the antenna probably does not use traps (or, no tuner would be required), does not likely use coils (or, it would not likely be able to handle 1KW, as specified), and the radiator is not a resonant length.

The design seems to depend on the resonant radials to get the feedpoint impedance close enough for an autotuner to provide a decent match.

As for performance, it should perform fine, with a "standard" omnidirectional, vertically polarized pattern, and a little gain on those bands where the antenna is longer than 1/4 wave. It's definitely going to be much better than a dummy load, or any other loaded, shortened vertical antenna.

I'm not terribly impressed; but, for the cost, it's not much more than the cost of the parts to build it yourself. And, everyone is entitled to make some kind of profit.

Richard
    AI4IJ

3. 2E0IMJ

Thanks

Just as I expected, I will wait for any other responses to get a balanced view before I make any decisions. My thanks and gratitude for your comments

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I would be interested in a trap vertical for just the WARC bands if it was available. The big companies seem to be stuck on the 10/15/20/40 M versions of product. Any vertical antenna I have tried always seems to do a lot better on the higher bands, above 14 mhz, when elevated above ground. The good DX performance, when ground mounted, seems to be on the lower bands !

5. 2E0IMJ

Yes I quite aggree, MFJ have a model available. Priced much higher than this one,but again it still isnt clear how it works. It looks a bit odd with what looks like radials coming out at the top and side. Again is it just another glorified Ground plane????

6. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

This appears to be nothing more than a vertical aluminium tube with radials of a suitable length used together with an ATU. May I suggest that you have a look at Sandpiperaerials.co.uk. They have a varied selection of vertical antenna's which might be suitable and the prices are reasonable,

Regards, Mel G0GQK

7. 2E0IMJ

Thanks will check this site out, also know someone locally who has one of these

8. 2E0IMJ

Have now purchased a V2 + 3 , will be installing on Saturday 03/05 . I will give a review in due course. Thanks for all your valuable advise

9. KC7YPJ

KC7YPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

for the pricetag on allot of these verticals you can get a small atu and remote mount it at the base of a homebrew 23' vertical, you now have a 12-30m frequency agile antenna that will work decently on 40m and 10m as well for substantially less cash invested.

if the base of the antenna is 1/2wave or higher above the ground for lowest freq you plan on useing you can run 3 or 4 radials and it will work just fine, if it's lower you end up adding allot more radials to make it work correctly, 32 is a decent number to shoot for on a ground mount antenna, more may or may not be worth the effort depending on use and location etc.

never ceases to amaze me the pricetags and performance claims manufacturers put on these things when 9 out of 10 times you can build equal or better for under 20 bucks and an hour or 2 of your time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.