Zune killed after PSK31 transmission???

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N3ZKI, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N3ZKI

N3ZKI Ham Member QRZ Page

So I've never charged my zune Via my usb port on my laptop while doing PSK31 but I've listened to it a bunch of times...When I went to transmit my CQ this evening when it was plugged in charging, it started going nuts and soon after black and won't turn back on. (Glad I bought the extended warranty at best buy last year...) What is the cause of this?? The only thing I can think of is RF in the shack because my rig isnt actually connected to my laptop i just use a mic at the speaker output of rig and hand mic duct taped to output speaker on headset. (Don't need any opinions on the interface I get great reports on signal quality) Lets hear from the experts ;)

-Kory

PS the laptop has never had any issues what so ever.....being almost on top of radio...Zune was 4 feet away plugged into laptop's usb..

2. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The only thing I could imagine (other than RF but that seems unlikely to me) would be some DC power being transmitted through your USB jack and upsetting the Zune.

I am curious, Your "interface", does it connect via any USB type port?

If not, I am kinda interested myself.

Brad

3. N3ZKI

I just turn on VOX and literally broadcast the PSK through the hand mic securely duct taped to the one ear of an old computer headset which cups out any room noise (there isnt any anyway). When the transmission is over the radio goes back to receive and a desk mic for computer is sitting by the output speaker of rig. All settings on rig and computer are spot on and i got -25db reports from people. Yes I am waiting for Signalink USB to come in mail to streamline everything but its cool how a roll of duct-tape and old computer headset...and TAKING THE TIME to carefully adjust settings for clean signal gets you on the air for digital modes lol :cool:

Back to the Zune...That is bizzare why a spike went through the usb port specifically while I was transmitting...must explain why the mouse plugged into another usb port goes funky on the screen sometimes...Just want to figure it out so I don't accidentally blow up the replacement zune! :eek:

-Kory

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  4. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

So, PC never had any issues or maybe something else going on also?

I won't even guess that the PC interface is causing a problem, but I would disconnect the PSK31 and transmit in another mode while charging your Zune.

5. N3ZKI

hmm maybe I'll try ssb phone and see if it affects my mouse on transmit...:confused:

6. KC0YEJ

KC0YEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it appears that your charging cable acted as an antenna for your signal. Get it on the right frequency, and you'll cause all kinds of hate and discontent. I had crazy things happen on 20M until I moved the antenna further away from the house, including mouse jitters &c.

Brian

7. N3ZKI

On a side note...took the Zune back to best buy with original receipt and they gave me $270 store credit to buy whatever mp3 player I wanted no questions asked...so that extended warranty was a good $50 well spent...The Zune 120gig's aren't even available there anymore. Came home with 64gig Ipod touch ;). Usually I feel extended warranties for anything are a waste of $$$ (cause they are) but for something I go running with, use daily, constantly take in and out of car/cold/hot, fry with RF :p I can't seem to get one these things to make it longer than a year...

Ipod 20gig 4G - lasted 6 months bad hard drive, replaced lasted 4 months...
    Zune 120 gig - lasted just over year till my own personal mishap..battery was starting to go bad anyway and would of made a warranty claim before it was up anyways

Ipod 64gig touch - ????? We'll see how long...

Just a little info for the potential mp3 player consumer...

-Kory

8. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

We don't have Zunes in Europe. Is a Zune something we have to swat to get rid of ? We used to have zits, but they went out of fashion.

G0GQK

9. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was going to ask "Who is Zune and what did he do that deserved execution?"

But I don't think I want to know.

10. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

OK I have to ask, what the hell is a Zune?

K2WH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.