ad: w3ff

ZS7Y

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by G4KUD, Mar 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
  1. G4KUD

G4KUD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi All,
    I am looking for the above callsign without much success, I know it was Antarctica but i can not find a QSL manager or contact name for this QSO.
    I know it is a while ago but someone should have a record of the following:-

2008-03-21 10:50 ZS7Y 20m 14.260 SSB KB15qd [​IMG] Antarctica

If anyone can give me a lead it would be appreciated, thank you.

Best Regards and 73's

Barry es G4KUD

2. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

As this call is virtually unheard of, and only two people have reported working that call in Clublog over a span of 4 months in 2008, I would assume that it's a busted call.

3. G4KUD

That's a pity, I was hoping for this qso. Again I hope it is not a pirate callsign.

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I found a South African website that gives details of the various organizations bases during the various seasons, including 2008. They have a camp in Marion Island as well as in Antarctica with a 'winter over' crew. There is a listing of the crew members and I checked a few of the names who were listed as something like (Electronic Technician) and came up empty.
    I forgot the website...Google "2008 South Africa Antarctica SANAE" and it should come up. Someone may have been a ham although he may have been a zoologist or something for the crew. You could check all the names on QRZ and hope for a match. But if they don't have a current license that won't be of any help.
    ZS7 could have been Marion Island as well unless you are absolutely sure it was Antarctica.
    Good luck!

5. G4KUD

thank you Bill for the information i will have a look over the weekend.
    Amateur Radio is a wonderful hobby with such nice people.

Barry es G4KUD

6. E73Y

E73Y Ham Member QRZ Page

From 425DXN #865:

ZS_ant - Ludwig, ZS6WLC will be active as ZS7BYRD from the South African
    Antarctic base SANAE IV (Vesleskarvet) during January-February
    2008. He expects to operate SSB on 14180 kHz and AM on 14280 kHz;
    CW will be supported using straight key. QSL to Ludwig Combrinck,
    P.O. Box 443, Krugersdorp 1740, South Africa.
    ZS7BYRD will be a commemorative station for Admiral Richard E.
    Byrd's 1930 and 1934 expeditions, where they used the McMurdo
    Silver crystal circuit for selectivity and the Collins pioneered
    class B AM modulator for the first voice transmissions to the USA
    from Antartica respectively. [TNX ZS6WLC]

73's Boris E73Y

7. WB1EAD

WB1EAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Boris you never seem to amaze me with ur knowledge of DX.!.Barry there might be a clue in what Boris has said..the call used was ZS7BYRD and wud count for Antarctica..is there a chance considering the years gone by that you could've gotten the call wrong or only copied the Y in the suffix.?.yes I have made that mistake once or twice myself..also ZS6WLC WAS the op for that callsign..sooo maybe an e-mail to him might bring gud news..trust me I know as a holder of a two by three callsign sometimes it don't register..he may just have ur info waiting in his logs..gud luk on confirming Antartica I had to go thru the ARRL DX advisory team for my QSL..they are strict! 73 de DAVE WB1EAD