ad: ProAudio-1

ZS6BKW 80 M help

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K7HN, Jun 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K7HN

K7HN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for taking the time to post this. I appreciate it. I’m not adverse to hearing what I don’t want to hear providing it said in the decent way which you did and I appreciate.

Here’s the dilemma I have then...

I am permanently disabled. Cannot use my right arm which is my dominant arm and I want to get on 80 m. I can’t climb up on my roof. There’s no way I could even brace myself to get out the window with my right arm the way it is… Is simply buying an 80m dipole the only solution in your opinion for me then?

I live in a standard suburban like small town 50x75 lot. I understand that if a tuner won’t do the job even though I’ve seen many people say they’ve worked 80 m with one just fine, then will an 80 m dipole antenna work just above ground level providing the entire antenna doesn’t touch the ground or a conductor and is grounded?

btw: I truly do appreciate all of the help everyone’s given me. Thought I would share a nice picture today of the Pacific ocean from the central Oregon coast.

Attached Files:

2. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I cannot picture your terrain, your roof or your lot.

I would say an Inverted V does especially well on a slope.

The sloper can be very effective looking at salt water.

Here is a shortened sloper, for a small lot.
    https://www.amateurradiosupplies.com/product-p/11101.htm

"If you have 25 feet of height you can be on top band with this fantastic reduced length sloper antenna. The feedpoint of this antenna needs to be up about 25-30 feet. The antenna itself slopes for 34 feet away from the feed.

The 80m Reduced Half Sloper loads better then 200khz at 2.1:1 SWR or less when properly trimed/tuned without a tuner.

Slopers are generally omnidirectional with a bump in directivity in the direction of the slope."

It could use what you have for height or another fiberglass pole adequately guyed out, for example, Spiderbeam's sturdy fiberglass pole. http://www.spiderbeam.us/index.php?cat=c2_Fiberglass Poles.html&XTCsid=878c46ae12e3dac911bc1d33f850da00

DX Engineering has SOTABEAMS-UK "Bandhopper4" for 125-watts transmit, with 10-meter height Travel Mast and guying kit https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/sbm-travelmast is a ARRL Field Day kit for 80-meters.

It is likely optimized for CW portion of the 75/80-meter band however.

..so the 75/80 Half Sloper or two from one push-up fiberglass pole on the ground may be the best quick-fix.

..if no one can be found right away to do the mod to the ZS6BKW.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  3. K7HN

I couldn’t agree more with you… There really is “no “perfect answer here.”

I have the ability to put up a inverted V if I needed to from the peak of my roof down to my fence.

That’s the way that my ZS6BKW is positioned, in an inverted V, using the MFJ 1904 HD adjustable 24 foot mast at the peak of my roof. It places the antenna height at about 48 feet.

For 80m I wonder how well the inverted V would work from the peak of my roof slanting down attaching to my fence on both sides of the radiators. considering it would be on the south side of my home, with a another house about 10 feet away from it. Either way, it’s certainly something I couldn’t do now.

It may end up being that I just have to wait until I heal until I can get another antenna up.

Thank you for all your ideas, your time and your experience.

Blessings and 73!

Larry
    K7HN

4. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

For 100w or less, I would use silver mica caps. I use door knob caps because I sometimes run 500 watts.

I don't know much about the AH4 but users have good things to say about it.

https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1071

It it were me, I would locate the AH4 at the coax to ladder-line ZS6BKW junction through the 1:1 choke and then you could forget the series capacitor.

5. K7HN

M thanks my friend! After doing more research on it of course I find out it needs to be installed at the feed point that I can’t get on my roof LOL so there you go.

6. W5DXP

As yet, Larry doesn't appear to have a wide-range antenna tuner and his IC-7300 will reduce power on 80m because of high SWR. Lacking a wide-range tuner, the series capacitor will allow him to get full power from his 7300 over a narrow range of frequencies. The dB losses in the ZS6BKW itself on 80m will not change and neither will the radiation pattern but the radiated signal on 80m will be stronger because the 7300 will be outputting full power and there will be only small losses in the coax due to SWR.

Larry, please contact the local amateur radio club and ask for help. I'm 81 years old but if I were there, I would crawl on your roof and optimize your antenna. In the meantime, how about just getting a wide-range antenna tuner and using it as needed?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  7. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

He is working on getting a tuner.

How much tuner does he need?

What ratio?

8. K7HN

You’re a good man. I appreciate it! Let’s make it a point to do a QSO together OK? I’d like that very much. Whether on phone or CW, PSK 31 or a different digital mode.

I’m going to be looking at a MFJ 969. That should help me quite a bit I understand.

9. W5DXP

Something like my MFJ-949E. The more expensive MFJ-969 is even better.

10. K7HN

That’s the one I’m actually going to buy I believe is the 969. To me it seems like a no brainer for my personal needs. Thank you very much again for all your kind reply. It means a lot to me that there’s people out in the hamper community who care so much for others. I mean care in a way to help them.

Thank you all so much!