ad: LEARA-1

ZS6BKW 80 M help

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K7HN, Jun 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K7HN

K7HN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi everybody! My name is Larry. I am permanently disabled and currently have a right arm to doesn’t work because of a torn biceps tendon. I’ve read about modifications to the ZS6BKW antenna so it will work on 80 m. Can someone help me? I don’t know how to do what the modification says to do. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it because right now I would really love to get on to 80 m but I can’t.

I can hear like crazy on 80 beaters copying signals with very little QRM… It’s just that they can’t hear me.

2. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Larry, what kind of help do you need? Here's the 80m mod.

[​IMG]

N2EY likes this.
  3. K7HN

4. K7HN

I know this sounds really dumb and I’m sorry for that. I just don’t quite understand how to make this modification. If I understand this correctly, I solder in a 500pf cap to the center lead of the coax, leaving the shielded part out.

In doing so, how can I reconnect the coax with the cap modification lengthening the center conductor?

Also, could this modification be done inside my shack as my arm injury eliminates me from getting back on my roof?

I thank you so much for responding and honestly I hoped you would because you were the one who printed this article. Thank you for being kind enough to respond. Is there a transformer or some sort of external tuner available to help make the ZS6BKW more resonant on 80m? I’m using an ICOM 7300 transceiver with a built-in antenna tuner but wondered if there was a different product that may help me to make it work on 80 m? I can receive SO WELL on 80 that there’s very little if any QRM, everyone sounds local. It’s just that they can’t hear me transmit farther than about 200 miles away with my current set up.

I don’t want to change things up too much because I’m reaching Massachusetts at 50 W and Japan on CW at about 50 W as well. That’s on 20 m and 40 m respectively. I’d just like to be able to find a way that in my current physical situation I can get working on 80 m now if possible.

I’m really sorry I’m not so smart at this. I just wouldn’t have the first clue how to even install such a thing. I would be more than happy to pay you to build me one that could literally be installed into the cable by means of a couple of male connectors, I just don’t know how to do it my friend.

Thank you so much for reading and especially for responding.

Blessings,

Larry

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  5. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice! W5DXP

Larry, does this help?
    http://www.w5dxp.com/ZS6BKW80/ZS6BKW80.HTM

Is your question: is this mod at the operating position or just outside the house?

6. K7HN

No, it’s not only now to construct it because I’m disabled and need to buy something already made unfortunately... the other question is can it be used inside my ham shack?

btw: New calls as of this morning are K7HN. Not sure when QRZ will catch up with the FCC website lol.

7. W7CJD

The 1:1 balun would be outside the window, in my instance. I have a MFJ-4602 window pass through.

If I were doing this, I would use a length of the glue inside shrink wrap over my finished soldered connection and pf capacitor. I would purchase the small stuff at eBay. I would purchase the solder iron and kit at Amazon.

I am not. I am "dyslexic".

It is easier saying I am "dyslexic" than laying out all particulars of mild, moderate and severe neurological impairments stated on the disability rating report.

..so W5DXP or someone else can help you further.

I would say, do you know the existing length of the ladder line on your ZS6BKW? It would be lengthened or made shorter where it terminates to the coax? ..and it is done, likely just outside. If so, it does not mean removing and replacing the antenna from the roof.

I don't have a ZS6BKW antenna. It connects to your transceiver with coax? yes? no?

If yes, I would think all the adjustments would be made at that point.

8. K7HN

Yes. I think it would all have to be outside too. My antenna is a ZS6BKW version of the G5RV. Learning here. Not sure how to do that project. I did notice that adding 50' of coax to my line made 40 meters resonant, I wonder what an additional 50' more would do for 80m? 40m was off the charts high on SWR before adding the additional 50' seems like at least a"try to do" considering I'm not able to get onto my roof.

9. W7CJD

..so, are you limited mobility to indoors?
    ..is ordering tools and parts online a problem?
    ..is it assembling small stuff is the problem?

All of the above? In my experience, it helps to be that specific.

Is there an active radio amateur club reasonably nearby?

I get the parts, and the commercial radio communications business in the community for the police, fire, sheriff and commercial contractors puts parts together for me.

The local radio amateur "handyman" with a tall ladder put up the outside antenna for me.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  10. K7HN

I'm fine at ordering things online, good at all of it but assembling. Not so good at soldering honestly. I'll try a couple of ideas. I have a neighbor that can go onto my roof if need be my friend. Thanks I'm just struggling with it and don't want to buy another dipole just for 80m