Zorin OS

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AD7N, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

If you like Microsoft Windows, how it just works and the look of it... but wanted to try a free, virus-proof alternative...

There is a free OS that has a similar look and feel of Windows 7, right down to the program menu.

Zorin OS 6: http://zorin-os.com/

It looks and feels like Windows 7 from the start. It also "just works."
    It has a full Office suite, compatible with Microsoft documents.
    Google's excellent "Chrome" browser is pre-installed.
    It also has "WINE" installed, which means you can download a lot of Microsoft Windows programs and install them directly.

If you think anything but Windows looks like this:

[​IMG]

Zorin OS 6 looks like this: :)

[​IMG]

Techy stuff:
    I'm running it currently after being on Windows 7 for a number of years. While I have loved various forms of Linux, I always gravitated to the look and feel of Windows 7 for some odd reason. I've converted fully to Zorin OS now, because it has the ease of Linux Mint but the feel of Windows. Zorin OS is an Ubuntu variant geared to Windows users, and based on the latest LTR version so it has long term security patch support from Canonical.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. G4LNA

G4LNA Ham Member QRZ Page

3. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed - it's fundamentally no different than Linux Mint or other derivatives. What's amazing is how important the "look and feel of Windows" can have such a large impact on a user's preference. While Zorin OS is simply Ubuntu with a different skin, that skin is well done and really lowers the entry bar for Windows users.

4. G4LNA

G4LNA Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh yes, agreed, anything to make it easier is fine with me. I've been using Linux for years, I have to use Windows at work and I don't like it, but I have to suffer because its on a corporate network.

5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks nice. I did some digging to see who is behind it because they don't make that obvious.

Here's the story about the 16 year old CEO of the company. Quite impressive.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/1019/1224325459084.html

It's all GPL licensed so I don't know what's going to stop someone buying the premium version and then making it available for free.

6. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool! Thanks for the background info.

Their "Premium" and "Ultimate" versions would need to be slightly altered, but easily. All references to "Zorin" could be replaced with "John" and make it legal, for example. It's under the GPL v3, which is extremely stringent about keeping code open.

But even then, their prices are not unreasonable and their free "core" version is rock solid and the basic programs one needs are all there preinstalled anyway. Their business model is cool - sell a "fully loaded" version with tons of pre-installed programs for those who'd rather trade a few bucks for effort and use the money to further development.

Users who want the free version (like me) are more likely to customize it, which is easy to do anyway since it's an Ubuntu variant with the Ubuntu Software Center built in.

7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That looks really interesting. I may have to give that a try. I have some nice server machines sitting in the garage waiting for an OS, and that looks like a really nice alternative! I like Ubuntu, but it would be nice to have it packaged in a more Microsoftian feel.

8. K8WDX

K8WDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been using Linux Mint for 2 years and wont switch to anything else. I love it, no errors, no crashes and rock solid, and the Logging program I use wors 100% with it, try CQRlog, and let us know if it works with Zorin, load it from the CQRlog web site... TU for the info Tom K8WDX

9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think with the latest Microsoft 8 release (failure?), people will start migrating away from them in favor of alternative operating systems.

Windows 8 is trying to look and feel "mobile" and less "PC" ..and even Google is doing it with Chromium. Basically the entire future of computing suggests all we really need anymore is a "web surfing appliance device" and therefore, the operating system itself is no longer the main focus of why we own a PC. Files are stored on the cloud and in fact, in the near future programs themselves will be run from a cloud server instead of loading them on a PC anyways.

Zorin is a great alternative for former Windows users who would much rather prefer the technical guts of the Linux engine with the feel of Microsoft Windows. There's also a gazillion programs for Linux, and it's not like you are stuck with the Microsoft brand anymore like it used to be in the early Linux development days. Linux has come a very long way since then.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  10. KB8AMZ

KB8AMZ Ham Member QRZ Page

To be clear, all the above distributions of Linux are based on Debian Linux. Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian and both Linux Mint and Zorin OS are derivatives of Ubuntu. Ubuntu (Canonical) receives it software packages from Debian then does their magic to their liking. The other two distros receive their software packages from Canonical and do their magic. Now that I've cleared that up.

ZorinOS is a great linux distro for newbies converting from a MS Windows world. Linux has only been around since 1992 but many software programs from the Unix OS run on Linux without much alteration, even though Linux is not Unix and Unix is not Linux.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.