ad: AbAuRe-1

Zoom Satellite Presentation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6LCS, Aug 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

HALLO BRANDT i m CW opereting first clasic cw opereting all bendern hi vy73 DJOAJ ekrem

2. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

The second receiver is not capable of ssb. So i dont know how they are doing it. I read somewhere a while ago when i first got it about people complaining about this and how they should have gotten a 847 yaesu. I appreciate the advice and I will browse the forum before i post.

3. KG7HVR

4. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From AC0RA ...

Working the SSB Sats
    This page is going to have a description of how to work the ssb satellites without using computer control using a satellite radio. I have a FT-847 so these directions will be good for it but should work fairly well for other radios such as the IC-910 and TS-2000 as they all work similarly.

The current working SSB satellites are VO-52, FO-29 and AO-7 mode B and mode A. All but AO-7 mode A can easily be worked using the arrow antenna, elk or any other antenna/s you have used to work ao-27 or so-50. For AO-7 mode A it is something you will have to experiment with but I have used my OCF dipole and a mobile whip for receive and about anything for the uplink.

Now on to setting up your radio. First you will want to make sure you have the correct frequencies which you can find on the amsat website. I am going to use the frequencies for FO-29 for this how to.

Now turn on your radio and switch it into satellite mode. In the tx band or vfo you will enter the center frequency for the bird you want to work for FO-29 this is 145.950. You also want to make sure you are in LSB for the inverting transponders which is all but AO-7 mode A. Next switch to the rx vfo and enter the center frequency which is 435.850 for FO-29 and make sure its in USB.

Now you're ready to wait for a satellite pass. When the bird come up you need to find yourself in the passband. To do this you can either talk and tune till you hear your self or send a cw tone which is easier. For FO-29 when txing at 145.950 you should come out at about 435.859 at the beginning of the pass. But what you will do is send your tone and tune the rx or tx band up and down until you hear yourself. If one frequency is right at center the other shouldn't have to be more then 15khz away from center to hear yourself.

After you find your self you can start calling cq. Now you also have to account for doppler. When manually tuning you always want to tune the higher of the frequencies which in this case is the receive is the higher freq. For FO-29 you will slowly tune the rx freq down throughout the pass. When tuning the uplink freq when working AO-7 mode B or VO-52 you will slowly tune up throughout the pass.

The last thing is how to move around the passband. For this you need to locate the reverse tracking button. When you hit this button the rx and tx become linked and when tuning one frequency up the other will move down. Then when you hear a place you want to stop at and talk just hit the button again which will unlink the vfos and allow you to account for doppler again.

It will take a little practice but after you get your bearings working the ssb sats can be very fun. If you need any further help or have any questions feel free to email me.

5. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

This guy makes a contact on FO-29 (LSB up, USB down) using a TS2000. I think you may be misunderstanding your transceiver's capabilities, or it may be broken?

6. KG7HVR

"The transceiver has a sub-receiver that functions on the AM and FM modes only (including packet) from 118 to 174 MHz and 220 to 512 MHz, with IFs at 58.525 MHz and 455 kHz."
    quoted from above attached pdf link. its also in the owners manual. Ill look at the video but the second receiver doesnt do SSB.

https://www.centralmiarc.com/docs/Reviews/ts2000.pdf

7. KB1PVH

KB1PVH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are plenty of satellite operators using the TS2000 on linear birds. Maybe it operates different when not in satellite mode?

8. KB1PVH

KB1PVH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Page 53 in the manual clearly shows USB and LSB in satellite mode. Screenshot_20200815-092006_Drive.jpg

9. KG7HVR

It seems like its able to use both tx and rx at the same time on the main unit and not the secondary rx, but the secondary rx has no ssb capabilities. Im not trying to argue. Its pretty clearly stated in the manual and other sources. I was able to figure out a few things thanks to Clint k6lcs.
    I along with several other had thought the second rx was required to do full duplex. I guess not. otherwise it wouldnt work!
    Maybe Joe kenwood will chime in and explain. haha

Screenshot_20200815-115138_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20200815-115117_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20200815-115046_Drive.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  10. K6LCS

Uh, yes - that was 6AM California time ... (g)

We had a great time. Including THREE licensed students in attendance. A GREAT Q&A afterwards.

Answers for the club ...

-Icom ID-5100 - Yes

-After a successful operating period of 3 ½ years, AMSAT OSCAR-21 (RS-14), unfortunately and suddenly, fell silent on 12 October 1994. For financial reasons, the command operation of the main satellite "INFORMATOR-1", which had completed its primary mission, was completely discontinued. On 16 September the command station had already switched off all on-board systems, including active temperature and attitude control. Only the operational supply for AO-21/RS-14 remained switched on. In addition, the command system of the mother satellite was permanently deactivated. Without constant intervention of the INFORMATOR-1 ground station the mother satellite got out of control relatively fast, so that finally the power supply failed. AO-21 was never heard again since then.

- 12/10/2018 - The receiver on the newly launched Fox-1Cliff/AO-95 CubeSat seems to have suffered a receiver failure that could render the satellite unusable, AMSAT said over the weekend. Efforts continue by AMSAT Engineering to establish the cause of the problem and determine if a fix is possible. AMSAT Vice President-Engineering Jerry Buxton, N0JY, reported over the weekend that the issue cropped up during efforts to commission Fox-1Cliff/AO-95.

“After a few days of tests, analysis, and discussion, it appears that Fox-1Cliff/AO-95 will not be commissioned as our fourth Fox-1 Amateur Radio satellite,” Buxton said. Commissioning began on December 4, right after the CubeSat’s successful launch a day earlier.

- The first D-STAR satellite QSO occurred between Michael, N3UC, FM-18 in Haymarket, Virginia and Robin, AA4RC, EM-73 in Atlanta, Georgia while working AMSAT's AO-27 microsatellite (Miniaturized satellite) in 2007. The two experienced minor difficulty with doppler shift during the QSO.

- It was the SPROUT microsatellite in 2014 - a project of Nihon University - that included CW telemetry, an FM digipeater, digitalker and message box, and live and preloaded SSTV pictures.

-The Icom ID-52 promises simultaneous reception in V/V, U/U, V/U as well as DV/DV.

THANK YOU to TR Georgia! More Z0om presentations coming on September 2, September 14, October 27 - and more!

Thank you to QRZ and Southgate Amateur Radio News for the front-page coverage!

Clint Bradford

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  11. K6LCS

-The Icom ID-52 promises simultaneous reception in V/V, U/U, V/U as well as DV/DV.

But is NOT a true, full-duplex HT.

Darn.

SOURCE: Ray Novak

12. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Bummer. So the Kenwood TH D-72 still rules when it comes to full duplex. And that rig is...what? 10 year old now? Still selling for $400? Wow.

How time flies, seems like 2010 was almost yesterday...or maybe just last month.

Time warp!

13. K6LCS

Thank you, TRGA!

——————————————-

Clint,

Please let me thank you (and Karen) for an AWESOME and entertaining presentation. You are one of those very positive examples of people in this hobby that makes it so great.

Your presentation was informative and very entertaining, and with the assistance of your wife Karen it was run error free.

Our team would highly recommend this presentation to anyone exploring Amateur Radio Satellites.

Thanks – 73

Jerome Erickson – KK1JE
    TeamRadioGA - Radio with Purpose!

GA Southeast District AuxComm/ARES
    Net - Tuesday 1900 hours
    -146.745 pl 97.4 / Guyton ARES repeater
    Echolink 738635 / AllStar 45029
    www.trga.us

Sent from my iPhone

WD4ELG likes this.
  14. K6WI

K6WI Ham Member QRZ Page

Any chance that this Zoom meeting got put into a podcast so others that couldnt be there can listen to it?

K6LCS likes this.
  15. K6LCS

There are about 22 "slides" in each presentation that are customized for the group to whom I am talking - that is the main reason I haven't published any of the 100+ presentations I have given.

You can get a "taste" of what I am doing by visiting this page on my Web site -

https://www.work-sat.com/presentations.html

The August 15, 2020 presentation was recorded and is being made available to the club that invited me. But you are welcome to join future dates! September 2, September 14, October 27 - those will have public announcements and you are WELCOME to attend!

Clint Bradford K6LCS
    909-999-SATS

K6WI likes this.